Dimension Hatross

by Voivod STAFF
May 8th, 2011 | 71 replies

Release Date: 1988 | Tracklist

Review Summary: A macro-solution to the mega-problems of 80’s metal.

Voivod’s previous album, Killing Technology received minimal acclaim from both the fans and the metal press, despite its numerous advents. In a severe crisis of common logic, they weren’t few those who claimed that Voivod was probably one of the worse metal bands ever to set foot on the face of the Earth. No surprise here, though. The last years of the 80’s are characterized by the reign of “hair” metal and the gradual assessment of thrash as a “has-been” sensation within the metal domain. Despite the fact that the second wave of thrash bands has already begun to mutate into something new, giving new life to both the bands and metal in general, their efforts don’t get the deserved attention, as fans seem reluctant and often hostile in understanding the change in attitude that these bands are suggesting. While Voivod were loosely related to both thrash waves, their strictly underground status seems to not discourage them one bit in further pursuing their musical endeavors. Despite the convictions of the majority of fans and press, Voivod release their new album, titled Dimension Hatross and prove that Killing Technology was a rough diamond, waiting to be further processed via the band’s unique intellect.

The first listening sessions of Dimension Hatross give further ground to the previously vague (but within reason) notion that Voivod is a band unlikely to stay within the same musical coordinates twice. In a repeat of history, Dimension Hatross is significantly disjointed from Killing Technology in every ascribable respect. The rhythm section of Away and Blacky is almost unrecognizable; imitating the random, elliptic and highly mesmerizing ways of water moving within the asperities of a steep river valley, the ensemble of rhythms and moods presented here pretty much assesses the corresponding (and awesome in its respect) work for Killing Technology as one-dimensional. Drummer Away and bassist Blacky, showing tremendous improvement as individual players, build further on those few but distinct grooves that spiced the punk-ish thrash metal attack of the previous album. In that light, they develop highly enhanced versions of those grooves, depending less and less on the “typical” speed/thrash drumming, which is used only on occasion, in order to relieve the pressure. On the other hand, Piggy’s guitar riffing is up to a whole different level as well and on par with the diversity of the rhythm section. Following or being attractively disjointed from the latter, his riffing stands as the third of the immaculate cornerstones sustaining Dimension Hatross. At times, it is really hard to say whether his guitars are rhythm or lead, as both are jointly interrelated. As the punk element remains intact and strictly within a highly original tech-metal perspective, the overall feel of the riffs is severely disharmonic. The latter can be seen as a sonic metaphor of how radiation or water vapour molecules diffuse in space and/or in the human atmosphere. As if the above weren’t enough, Piggy is playing games with the mind of the listener by deliberately repeating different riffs within different songs.

This latter clue serves as a proper innuendo for the band’s excelling once again in both its lyrical and vocal duties, via the whole band and Snake’s work respectively. For the second time in a row, the lyrics evolve within a solid yet highly imaginative concept. Warlord Voivod descends, via the aid of a cyclotron, to the sub-atomic scale to explore and observe the unknown civilizations that reside therein (“Experiments”). The social intercourse of Voivod with the natives passes through different stages: From power games of religious/political nature with the authorities (“Tribal Convictions”) to his joining of forces with the local terroristic groups against the established regime (“Chaosmongers”) and from there to the evolution of endless wars, occurring both within the mind and the physical world (“Brainscan”, “Psychic Vacuum”). The stakes at hand lie within the complete control of minds and bodies under one unified dictatorship. Upon his return home, Voivod finally concludes that things are pretty much the same as in the macro-world (“Cosmic Drama”). Snake is doing a spectacular job in giving life to both opposing sides. In terms of a theatrical play, Snake is aptly replacing both masks of “laughter” and “grief” during the course of the plot, while the suspense in the impersonation of all conflicting sides closely resembles that of an ancient Hellenic tragedy combined with the social terror that George Orwell aptly describes in his legendary novel 1984.

The sound production of Harris Johns is simply superb. The guitars attain a “cloudy” texture that warmly cloaks the superbly audible bass and the drums, while Snake’s voice has been given superb depth.

In closing, Dimension Hatross constitutes a macro-solution to the mega-problems of 80’s rock/metal. It is now up to the present and future generations of listeners and musicians to explore and interpret the novelties of this record, which seems to have appeared like lightning in a clear sky…

Riot V Unleash The FireSanctuary The Year the Sun Died

Brain Scan:

Psychic Vacuum:

Cosmic Drama:

Batman (CD edition only):

Constructive criticism is most welcome.

Digging: Aspherium - The Fall of Therenia

JamieTwort
May 8th 2011

Great review, have a pos.

I've never really got into this band for some reason.

Digging: Foxes in Fiction - Ontario Gothic

Tyrael

20978 Comments

Great review Voivod, this sounds pretty cool so far.

Thanks guys.

This is a beautiful headache.

During the first 50 listens all i got was a migraine headache.

The 51st time it all became clear and transparent.

scissorlocked
May 8th 2011

great work with the review man

Dimension Hatross is one of my all time favourite albums. such a multidimensional record...

Digging: Low Roar - Low Roar

Thanks man.

Although i had already planned of covering the whole Voivod discog, i was further motivated by some fellow mates of mine that attended the first Voivod concert in Greece, which took place in May the 4th, 2011.

They liked the band a lot and wished there was more info about them in here.

I was further prompted to review the whole Voivod discog and there we are.

Next is Nothingface, a real challenge.......

Idnuf
May 8th 2011

Super duper review, though I would expect no less from someone named after the band they're reviewing. :P

Album is pure titties, don't really know why I never rated it. I slightly prefer Nothingface though.

scissorlocked
May 8th 2011

Nothingface will really be a challenge man, the album is special

I personally have no doubts however, keep up the good work!

rulers

Digging: Throwing Muses - Throwing Muses

YUJOS

One of the best reviews that i've ever read !!! Very good work Voivod

Digging: Skaphe - Skphe

37er00

album rocks

19646 Comments

Constructive criticism is most welcome.

You write better than 99% of this site dude. Fucking solid review. I love this album.

Digging: Horseback and Locrian - New Dominions

May 8th 2011

It's because i have literally listened to this album so many times, that it is carved in my brain permanently.

Thanks for the feedback Wizard.

19646 Comments

And seriously, I give you extra metal props for acknowledging one of the most underrated pioneers of prog/ thrash metal. Willie got me into these guys a few years back and I have to say that at this point in time, I wasted portions of my life listening to Metallica when these guys did it so much better.

May 8th 2011

same here too, unfortunately... / thisthisthisthisthisthisthisthis

Where's Willie btw?

19646 Comments

He's always around, just shoutbox him.

and so i did ;)

Jethro42
May 9th 2011

What is left to say on here? Voivod (the band) is nearly revealed from A to Z throughout this sole review. It flows well as per usual, so it's always a good reading. It's meticulously detailed and concise at the same time, and I like very much the way you back up your points with your touch of history, philosophy and efficient metaphors. In short I really like your writing style and I'd suggest you to do their official biography in 3 volumes. Wikipedia got nothing on you haha.
Keep the good work up, man. You really are good at it (I'd say better and better), and you know your Voivod very well. I hope my English is okay.

Willie
May 10th 2011

He's always around, just shoutbox him.
Not on weekends ;)

This is easily my favorite Voivod album. Their new song that's floating around youtube sounds a lot like this.

Digging: Mors Principium Est - Dawn Of The 5th Era

Geadom
July 8th 2012

This CD is musical CRACK. The songs, the rythms, vocals, EVERYTHING just keeps stuck in your head forever, in a really cool, unique and awesome way. I find myself randomly singing some random lyrics or whistling some parts from this cd almost every day.