Tyler the Creator
Goblin

by god ov dem USER (12 Reviews)
May 5th, 2011 | 282 replies | 23,319 views

Review Summary: Tyler delivers, full swing

The hype machine certainly is an interesting thing in the modern music scene. Typically (a few times a year), a band or artist is seemingly chosen out of the blue, and is hyped up about for a long time, usually as a means to cause attention to themselves, and sell records. A lot of the time, however, this hype machine becomes so overblown that the actual product itself is a disappointment when it comes out.

Not this time.

Enter Tyler Okonma, or Tyler, the Creator. He is your average suburban African-american teenager. His interests include hip-hop music, skateboarding, rape, murder, and (most importantly), fiction. This album, Goblin, is the 19-year-old’s sophomore effort, but the first one to be released in retail format (his debut, 2010’s Bastard, was only released digitally). After months of hype being gathered from the album’s lead single, Yonkers, there was a lot of speculation surrounding this: Will it live up to Yonkers? Will it surpass Bastard?

Well, there is a multitude of answers to this question, of course depending on your opinion. After all, art is subjective. One thing that isn’t subjective, is the fact that this music is not radio-friendly rap that you can hear on any top-40’s radio station. No, Goblin is, in fact, the definition of controversial, if you ask this reviewer. On the album, Tyler raps about a number of subject that could be considered controversial, including rape, murder, voyeurism, celebrity-bashing, therapy, and more. The lyrics are often complimented by the atmospheric production Tyler has set for himself to rap over. There are often lush synths combined with eerie keyboard effects (see: Sandwitches), and raw percussive instruments, such as on the aforementioned lead single. In my opinion, these beats do a very good job of laying down a dark atmosphere to go with the lyrics.

Now, as I mentioned before, the subject matter on this may come across as offensive to some, and might strike others as “controversial”, which I would say it is. However, I can’t help but feel as if Tyler is simply playing the controversy card as a means of drawing attention to himself. There are times on this album, such as on the track Radical, where Tyler - despite the fact that his rhymes are excellent - seems like he is trying a little too hard to seem controversial and, dare I say, bad-ass. This is not necessarily a bad thing, though, as his narrative lyrics are something worth enduring.

Speaking of narratives, I feel like this is an appropriate time to tell you about the album's main theme, or "concept". While not a completely consistent one throughout the whole record, most of Goblin centers around a therapy session between Tyler and his psychiatric alter-ego (Tyler with a pitch-shifted down vocal effect). Throughout the album, Tyler will rap and the therapist will often comment on his rhymes, and try to keep his confidence up. This is a technique that was also used on Tyler's debut album, but is used much more on this album - and has much more of an effect in building up to the epic climax of the album during the final track. I won't spoil anything, but it is pretty damn exciting if you have listened to the lyrics up to that point.

Overall, Goblin is shaping up to be one of the best hip-hop albums of the year. From the profane, shocking and damn near inappropriate subject matter, to the dark, atmospheric production and beats, to the tongue-in-cheek song titles, Goblin proves for a damn interesting listen, if nothing else. I would highly recommend this to anyone that likes hip-hop with a dark, brooding sensibility.

Acme To Reduce the Choir to One SoloistScholastic Deth Final Examiner
Power Trip Manifest DecimationEarth Crisis Firestorm
Integrity Kingdom of Heaven (The Araca Sessions)Earthmover Death Carved In Every Word
3.2
good

May 5th 2011

Figured that since it's released in the UK it would be okay to write a review

Digging: Failure - Magnified

May 5th 2011

i was waiting for someone to review this

not that great

some shit songs

also needs moar earl

Lucid
May 5th 2011

i quit after track three

Digging: FKA twigs - LP1

climactic

not that great

Great - 3.5

May 5th 2011

oh and the psychiatrist does have a name
Dr. TC

May 5th 2011

i meant not as great as what some people are making out to to be
i mean its still legit
but
yeah

climactic

tron cat rules hard

May 5th 2011

There are some grammar issues I'll address whenever I can get to a computer. I'll be submitting my counterpoint to this in a day or two, if my schedule permits it.

robertsona
May 5th 2011

i really really like this album

May 5th 2011

i like her, mainly cuz theres so much in it that i can relate to lol

god i'm depressed

G3N3R1C

1945 Comments

yeh its alright

robertsona
May 5th 2011

not sure what the big deal about radicals is. first half is awesome and fun OF shit, second half is even better cuz it's really weird and melody and shit!

Hawks
May 5th 2011

I still like the tracks that most people seem to think are bad or average. It's just a really fun album to me. Plus there are some really, really great songs like Yonkers, Transylvania, Nightmare, Tron Cat, Sandwitches, Window (despite it being so long), and Golden.

Digging: Sun Worship - Elder Giants

May 5th 2011

I think Sandwitches or Yonkers is my favourite. Tron Cat and Golden are fantastic as well.

G3N3R1C

1945 Comments

Hawks nailed it.

Also, I think i'm the only person who doesn't hate Fish.

May 5th 2011

"slip it in her drink and in the blink of an eye i can make a white girl look chink"

god i fucking love this line

May 5th 2011

I don't hate it. I think it's one of the worst on the album, but it's not bad.

beefshoes
May 5th 2011

I bet that song that Earl would have been on that is getting moved to his next album is pretty sick.
Pretty excited to get my special edition. I have heard the extra songs are better than most of the songs on here.

cvlts