Decree
Fateless

by Trey Spencer STAFF
May 5th, 2011 | 20 replies | 11,529 views

Review Summary: Decree aren’t here to coddle or comfort. They’re here to bludgeon you with the kind of raw, pounding anger that used to flow through the veins of almost every industrial band.

Anyone that keeps up on the industrial genre is most likely familiar with the name Chris Peterson. He is probably best known for stepping in to fill the void left in Front Line Assembly and Delerium every time Rhys Fulber leaves to concentrate on some other project. The misleading thing about that knowledge is that people may see Chris’ name attached to Decree and assume that this is probably another accessible, semi-danceable electro-industrial band full of hooks, melody and smooth beats – nothing could be further from the truth. It only takes a few moments of opening track, “Finite Years”, to realize that Decree has nothing in common with the relatively accessible industrial of Front Line Assembly (and Delerium doesn’t even exist on the same plane as these guys). If there is a working comparison to Fateless’ sound it is the crushing dissonance of early Godflesh.

It doesn’t take long to realize that Decree exists to fulfill a need that Chris Peterson’s other projects simply don’t cover; the need to express anger and otherwise force discomfort onto others. There literally isn’t a single moment on this album that could be considered serene or comforting or even accessible. The songs on this album (i.e. the majority) are all built on pounding rhythms that maintain rigid, almost militaristic, tempos. Over this mechanical cadence are various layers of dissonance that flow throughout the songs at different pitches and intervals, and make up the majority of each track’s ‘music’. The only truly recognizable part of this dissonance is the guitar riffs of Ross Redhead that cut through the noise while still adding to the overall discord for the most part. It shouldn’t come as much of a surprise to learn that Sean Lawson's vocals are just as uncompromising and harsh as every other part of this album. Sean's strained, throat-shredding shouts come off like a drill instructor possessed, often times locking into the unyielding percussion in order to most effectively express his displeasure with… well, with everything it seems.

People that have only heard of Chris Peterson through his work with the lush electro-new age of Delerium will take one listen to Fateless and promptly shit their pants. Such is the level of twisted, uninhibited anger exhibited throughout this album. The funny thing is that even Front Line Assembly fans might have issues digesting this album. Decree aren’t about sing-along songs and groovy beats, they’re about shouting at whoever is closest about whatever is nearby. They’re about taking layers of discordant noise, gritty guitars and pummeling beats and calling the end result music. Whether from the purge of negative emotions or from the first peaceful moments after the extended agonizing onslaught, by the time Fateless comes to a close it should have listeners feeling some sort of release from its exercise in anger.

Flotsam and Jetsam No Place for Disgrace - 2014Mindcage Our Own Devices
Fates Warning Darkness in a Different LightQueensryche Queensryche
Skinny Puppy WeaponThe God Machine Scenes from the Second Storey
3.3

May 5th 2011

To hear the title track, go here:

It's the third album down. Click on the song, then scroll back to the top of the page and the player is on the left side... push play (convoluted, I know).

Edit: I've updated the review to give credit to the other members of the band. Based on the press release it looked like this was basically Chris Peterson's baby, but it appears to actually be a full band.

Digging: Teramaze - Esoteric Symbolism

gonna check this out

Digging: The Menzingers - Rented World

May 5th 2011

Cool. It's a great kind of 'old school' industrial album in that it's noisy and beat heavy without being as poppy as a lot of the stuff coming out these days.

May 5th 2011

It is along the lines of old Ministry?

Btw nice ccc-combo breaker

May 5th 2011

Not as metal as The Land of Rape and Honey and anything that came after it. I'm not familiar with the Ministry stuff that's older than that except for some song about Christmas (I think) and that was really poppy electro.

May 5th 2011

The stuff before The Land Of Rape And Honey is absolutely terrible goth/pop electro

May 5th 2011

Yep, that's how I remember that song too.

Departures

Will check this out.

Wizard
May 5th 2011

Fucking music player doesn't work, gonna hunt this down and just dl it. This review made me want some industrial in my life again.

Digging: Triptykon - Melana Chasmata

Metalstyles
May 5th 2011

If the title track is a great example of what the rest also sounds like then I regrettably think that this wouldn't appeal too much to me.

May 5th 2011

The player is working for me and it looks like MetalStyles got it working too. I wonder if a browser add-on is causing the issue.

Yeah, Styles, this isn't industrial metal. It might have a guitar but it's much more similar to the old school cling&clang dissonance of the 80s industrial artists.

Metalstyles
May 5th 2011

Just a for-your-information about Trey's stream: the player that will come into the upper left corner after you click on the title track is really small, so take a good look at the page. I was a bit confused at start too about where the hell is it supposed to be, but luckily I caught it.

@Trey
Mhm, I agree, it's the cling&clang that I can't really get into. At the risk of sounding stupid, I kind of want more to happen with it. To me, there's this lack of activity/variance inside the music.

Acanthus
May 5th 2011

Sweetness, will give it a listen after my nap. Good albums in the rec section as well!

Digging: Ayria - Hearts for Bullets

Acanthus
May 5th 2011

"Fateless" really fails to compare to some of the other tracks, namely "Finite Years" and "Faded Glory" - it almost feels like a single in comparison to the dissonance the other two tracks possess.

May 5th 2011

Yeah, I should have mentioned that "Fateless" almost comes off like the single for the album (as close to a single as this album gets, anyway).

captaincrunch11
May 6th 2011

Sooooooo I should check this out.

Eskate87
May 6th 2011

sounds interesting, will check out

Ikarus14
May 8th 2011

What Eskate87 said.

==Edit==
Actually, I listened to a couple tracks on Youtube and it sounds pretty awesome. Might go and buy it if I get a chance.

DoubtGin
May 11th 2011

kinda reminds me of Killing Joke

May 12th 2011

Really? Maybe some of the vocals, but the music isn't very similar (IMO).