Man Man
Life Fantastic

by Adam Thomas STAFF
May 4th, 2011 | 19 replies | 12,020 views

Review Summary: Shave and a haircut -- two bits

Polish isn't something that normally comes to mind when someone mentions Man Man, but their latest album Life Fantastic is so meticulously clean for an album that bears the Man Man moniker, almost to the point of some confusion as to whether or not frontman Honus Honus has traded in his tennis shorts and “creepy man on the bus” mustache for a pressed suit and a business cut. Well, worries be spared. On first glance it might seem as if producer Mike Mogis, who mostly known for slapping his name on the credits of anything released by Conor Oberst's Saddle Creek label, has managed to drain the weirdness from rickety carnival fun house that is Man Man, but after all these are still Honus Honus' songs and regardless of the studio sheen placed upon them, they still, at their heart, are the bizarre ramblings of a man that has fun house mirrors for eyes. Honus Honus still spits out his verses in a way that falls somewhere in between someone breaking a secret at the bar and Tom Waits if he managed to spit out the hairball that's lodged at the back of his throat, that being said, compared to his voice on previous Man Man albums, he has toned back his schizophrenic ramblings making things a bit more inviting. The way that Man Man have approached songwriting on Life Fantastic has also made it a more inviting listen overall. Where over the last few years they took traditional pop structures and warped them into these strange musical odysseys that were as uncomfortable as they were intriguing, the songs on Life Fantastic are fully content existing within the realms of their 60's pop influence, using only the occasional freak out to shock the listener right when they are starting to get comfortable. Every once and a while this new “happier” Man Man gets a little too carried away, leading to a few campy moments, and while it is true that “campy” can perfectly describe some of the greatest moments in Man Man's catalog, these moments when they appear on Life Fantastic are more likely to bring a shake of the head than a nod of approval. Luckily these moments of doo-wop overindulgence are few and far between and are quickly forgotten in the scheme of things.

Life Fantastic might not be the best album that Man Man have released, or the perfect manifestation of their “sound”, but for what it's worth it's a welcome reminder of all the things that they do right. The experimentation found on Life Fantastic, for the most part, works rather well within the gypsy circus that is Man Man but even at its best it makes one wonder what it could have sounded like without the meds.

United Nations The Next Four YearsMatter Teraphim
The Hotelier Home, Like NoPlace Is ThereOwls Two
Taking Back Sunday Happiness IsGridLink Longhena

May 4th 2011

stream if you want to give it a gander http://stereogum.com/697291/stream-man-man-life-fantastic/mp3s/

Xenophanes
May 4th 2011

Shave and a haircut -- two bits

Your age is showing, Mr. Redsky. Old phrases ftw.

May 4th 2011

My story begins in nineteen-dickety-two. We had to say "dickety" because the Kaiser had stolen our word "twenty". I chased that rascal to get it back, but gave up after dickety-six miles.

Piglet
May 4th 2011

That is one well-dressed mouse.

Aids

lol'd

eggsvonsatan
May 4th 2011

I saw this band. I'm surprised they don't get more love around here. I feel like they're more of a live band than a studio band.

londoncalling457
May 4th 2011

yeah, i saw them when they opened for gogol bordello and they ruled. rabbit habits is a great album (haven't heard their first one) but i enjoyed them a lot more live. need to get this.

klap

Mike Mogis*

Digging: Literature - Chorus

TREO5
May 4th 2011

I enjoy these guys, will check it out.

May 4th 2011

yeah, they are easily one of the best live acts I've seen.

Spare

oh shit new man man

AnotherBrick
May 4th 2011

if i never liked these guys will this change my mind?

37er00

sethdavid
May 5th 2011

Saw these guys open for Cursive a couple years ago, absolutely crazy. I dig this album more than anything else they've done.

kitsch
May 5th 2011

girlfriend loves this band, says their live show is amazing. shes seen them like 5 times apparently. curious to see them on tour this summer.

Steoandnoodles
May 8th 2011

Going to give this a spin over the weekend. =)

FromDaHood
May 8th 2011

Another Soby review? I smell Emeritus for mr. Sky at the end of the year.

May 8th 2011

the overwhelming majority of my reviews have always been short.

FromDaHood
May 8th 2011

I guess you're right. The only one of yours I had really attributed to you was your hella long Illusion of Safety one, so I thought this was out of the ordinary