Dying Fetus
Descend Into Depravity

by Devin Earl USER (10 Reviews)
May 1st, 2011 | 22 replies

Review Summary: Dying Fetus releases another album that is sure to make you bang your head

It doesn't take much to be impressed with the trio, Dying Fetus who has John Gallagher as their central figure, they are back with their sixth full-length, sustaining the discography's uniformity with another consistent release in terms of Death Metal, Hardcore and Grindcore.

Like many of the famous previous releases, both artwork and lyrics present violence and anarchist chaos, raging anthems against corruption in government and media, the same old baloney that has been successfully applied from Killing On Adrenaline to on. Still, the usual huge texts of lyrics on each track allow us to constantly hear Gallagher's voice, and that is a good thing for most people.

With bassist Sean Beasley in the vocal department since the 2000's, Gallagher's voice is one of the few aspects of Dying Fetus never to be victim of a downfall moment throughout the entire discography. We hear nothing but pleasant grunts and growls from this guy, who also invests in puzzled guitar work, full of speed and groove, subtly presenting more solos. As for the other two, they are highly responsible for this album's brutal heaviness even with the absence of a second guitarist. Beasley's bass work on "At What Expense" and Williams’s participation on "Shepherd's Commandment" deserves an outstanding recognition.

Sure, the album is not perfect, there are boring kill-time moments, especially on "Hopeless Insurrection," but considering their previous effort, Descend Into Depravity was a huge relief. Fortunately the exaggerated hardcore elements no longer remain and Dying Fetus once again sounds brutal enough to recover their fan base's confidence.

Unearth The MarchUnearth Darkness in the Light
Upon a Burning Body The World Is OursDecrepit Birth Polarity
I, the Breather These Are My SinsSevendust Cold Day Memory
Karl V.H. (3)
Dying Fetus ain’t no crying baby....

May 1st 2011

I was in the Dying Fetus mood today.

eggsvonsatan

Album Cover is awful.

Voivod
May 1st 2011

good album, but that's that.

Digging: The Sabbathian - Ritual Rites

Neenahskater
May 1st 2011

destroy the opposition was the best!!!!!

May 1st 2011

Good review ATB, for me it seems on the short side, don't worry about it though. Deserving of a POS for your work.

FearThyEvil
May 1st 2011

My friends tried numerous times to get me to like this band and still no good.

May 1st 2011

At least you gave it a go lol.

May 1st 2011

I only listen to this band once in a while but I really felt like reviewing this one for some reason.

May 1st 2011

Yeah but after a while, that will be most of your review subjects. And random reviews are not such a bad thing.

yeah pretty much

May 1st 2011

Especiall if those random reviews are out of your comfort zone.

May 1st 2011

this one kinda was. I don't listen to this band much especially this cd. I've only listened to it twice.

May 1st 2011

twice, and then made a review on it. Your usual style?

Then would you be open to assigned reviews?

May 1st 2011

no that was one of those out of my comfort zone reviews. Assigned reviews?

May 1st 2011

For example: my Breed Machine-3, and Mnemic- Passanger were my assigned reviews, ButcheredChildren decided he wanted to broaden my reviewing horizons. My awkward review was the Rodrigo Y Gabriela (S/T) review. It improved me a little, and allow me to use different styles back in my metalcore reviews.

May 1st 2011

sounds different. Maybe once I have more experience writing reviews that sounds like a good possibility

May 1st 2011

Well, i'll always have a few recs for that if you're interested, when you want them; shoutbox me. I'm happy to help.

Will do

Wizard
May 2nd 2011

19403 Comments

Good album.

Digging: Khonsu - Traveller

HBFS
May 2nd 2011

Such a charming band name

Digging: Banks - Goddess