Guano Apes
Proud Like A God

by Hurricanslash USER (31 Reviews)
April 28th, 2011 | 10 replies | 6,389 views

Release Date: 1999 | Tracklist

Review Summary: Oh boy.

Objectivity. Subjectivity. Those two things fight in me when it comes to music. And on certain albums, it gets even worse. Then it can happen that I don't like an album but say that it's really good. This is one of these albums.

"Proude Like A God" is basically just another crossover album. You know, fusing styles together that should not match that easy. The Guano Apes pull this off like it was no thing. Considering that this is their debut, this is really impressive. The musicians know their instruments very well and know just what to play to surprise the listener in a good way. Sandra Nasic has an extremely unique voice and a distinctive vocal delivery. Listen to a song like "Tribute" to get what I mean.

The base of their music is basically heavy rock. On top of this comes rap, reggae, funk, violins, middle eastern influences, crazy basslines and weird time structures. All this let the band stand out from your average crossover band.

My problem with this album is that I don't really enjoy their influences. Sandra's vocals hop on my nerves and sometimes I get really annoyed by the sound of the guitar. But my personal opinion aside, this album is too strong to give it a grade beyond Excellent.

So, in conclusion, buy this album if you are a crossover fan. Buy this album if you are a fan of diverse musical styles. At least check it out.

Recommended tracks:
Open Your Eyes, Maria, Lords Of The Boards, Scapegoat, Suzie, Move A Little Closer

Andrew Huang Magical BodyThe Cloud The Tongue
Andrew Huang RemixesAndrew Huang The Final Countdown
Andrew Huang SupremacyAndrew Huang You Are The Devil

Hurricanslash
April 28th 2011

Tried to write a little different review. Let criticism roll.

WashboardSuds

it was no thing

it was nothing

review is obviously really short but not very effective in describing the album's sound in it's length either.
it seems you're aiming for an objective review, but you don't seem to care enough about the album to provide any meaningful critiques. it basically reads like you aren't interested in the album or you didn't give it quite enough attention.
it's well-written for what it is, but as a review this isn't very reliable since your attention to detail and your own relationship with the album feel very loose.
you said you were experimenting, which I applaud, so I won't neg and will just suggest you take into account what I said for your next review. hope this helps in any way, cheers

Digging: Gas - Nah und Fern

theacademy
April 28th 2011

fucking thank you for reviewing this

Digging: Kimbra - The Golden Echo

theacademy

it was nothing

or: it was no thang

Darkwatch025
April 28th 2011

Ahh I am surprised to see a review for this album. I bought this years ago when I was in high school after I saw the video for "Open Your Eyes" on MTV. After hearing that badass song, I had to get the album. Just think, MTV actually used to play rock music! Overall this is definitely a cool album

North0House2
April 28th 2011

"Just think, MTV actually used to play rock music!"

Just think, MTV actually played music!

Now all it consists of is Teen Mom or whatever then that Skins show. Utter garbage that channel is.

Digging: Amen Dunes - Love

henryChinaski
April 29th 2011

they used to be good back in the day. reunited a couple months ago. their new album is promoted heavily here in germany. it's really bad though.

Digging: The Tidal Sleep - Vorstellungskraft

WashboardSuds
April 29th 2011

Just think, MTV actually played music!

these days I watch Fuse instead

Hurricanslash
April 29th 2011

Woah, didn't expect this to get so much attention. "No thing" was intentional. Next time I will try to get more into the details of albums. Thanks for the criticism. Oh yeah, and if anybody wondered, Move A Little Closer is a hidden track.

blackparade
February 10th 2012

I've got the snowboard under my feet ...