Del tha Funkee Homosapien
Future Development

by Psilocyanide USER (1 Reviews)
April 27th, 2011 | 10 replies | 5,620 views

Release Date: 1998 | Tracklist

Review Summary: That guy from Deltron 3030 has really good solo stuff.

When most people think of Del the Funky Homosapien they generally think of Deltron 3030, that song with the Gorillaz, or maybe even Both Sides of the Brain. However Del's 1997 Future Development is unfortunately forgotten and without reason because Del is on top of his game in this one. Lyrically he's as spectacular and creative as always rhyming about things such as life, hip-hop, racism and even transformers. Through rapping about everyday topics Del creates a record that just about anyone can relate to. He also takes this one step further through his use of humor throughout the album, making him come off as just an everyday person that you could see yourself hanging out with. Del shows that he can write lyrics with the best of them throug lines such as “My flow's symphonic, hypnotic, psychotic never semiotic but doper than narcotics” or “from the pit of Babylon but powerful like Alvatron from the Decepticons music is magical like a leprechaun” . Not only is he a great songwriter, he's also an equally skilled MC. Del has a smooth flow, rarely stopping and it's accompanied by one of my favorite voices in hip-hop.

Production wise this LP is on par with Del's rapping abilities. Generally the beats are funky and chill, though occasionally changing it up to the more sinister side. The beat making is handled by Del himself, along with Hieroglyphics members A-Plus and Opio. Yet no matter who made the beat, they're all guaranteed to get your head nodding. The beats usually give off an upbeat, relaxing atmosphere, which can be hard not to get lost in. Additionally the production showed the direction Del would later head on Deltron 3030 with many of the beats having a futuristic sound to them. Overall Del delivers an outstanding album that is easy to relate to and outstanding in all aspects of hip-hop. It's catchy enough to enjoy initially and complex enough to leave the listener discovering new things months down the line. So enjoy...

Recommended Tracks:
Stress the World
X-Files
Corner Story

April 27th 2011

First review, any feedback would be appreciated.

Idnuf
April 27th 2011

I thought the length would assure you lacked description in a certain department, but this is actually a well-rounded, concise review, not something you see often on this site. Great job man.

Personally haven't listened to any Del solo stuff yet, but the impression I always got was that Both Sides of the Brain was his only worthwhile album.

Oh also you misspelled through, you said throug in the first paragraph.

April 27th 2011

Thanks man. And actually all of Del's first 4 albums are pretty good. I actually like this one more than Both Sides of the Brain.

liledman
April 28th 2011

yes, his first 4 albums are all great. it always annoys me when i see people who give deltron 5 but dont bother checking his solo stuff.

Rev

Deltron > Both Sides > My Brother George > Full Circle (Hieroglyphics) > this

aok
April 28th 2011

Quite good actually, especially for a first (have a pos).

Beginning of the 2nd paragraph you say the word beat in 4 straight sentences so you kindof lose the flow you had in the 1st. Of course you're describing the beat, but mixing in a synonym or restructuring a bit would help your arguments flow. Other than that, keep it up and you'll soon find your own style, which can only come with experience.

Digging: Aphex Twin - Syro

April 28th 2011

Thanks man, and I definitely see what you mean about the flow with using the word beat so much. Didn't even realize I used it that much lol.

aok
April 28th 2011

yea aside from the word beat though, you pretty much did all you could in only 2 paragraphs. after the first few reviews i started rereading and restructuring my reviews like crazy before submitting them on here cause even though you can edit to a certain degree there's no going back

foxblood
January 26th 2012

corner story is so good

undertakerpt
June 8th 2012

good review buddy, i'd say this is my fave del album, the beats are a lot more memorable than his other stuff.