Marilyn Manson
Mechanical Animals

by Joseph Bush USER (9 Reviews)
April 23rd, 2011 | 15 replies | 5,709 views

Release Date: 1998 | Tracklist

Review Summary: This release has to be one of the greatest in Marilyn Manson's career.

At this point in time, we have seen Marilyn Manson undergo two different changes: The first sees them going into a transition from shock rock (Portrait Of An American Family) to a heavier degree in regards to metal (Antichrist Superstar) with which the band had ditched after having Trent Renzor take the spotlight. This second change turned heads upon release and caused some speculation, but nobody was expecting a record like this...

The new album introduces itself as a two-fold concept album which was called Mechanical Animals. It focuses on two main characters which are seemingly similar to that of the 'Wormboy' from Antichrist Superstar, but to a far less violent degree. Firstly, we have a person called 'Alpha'. Having only just recieved his emotions back, he struggles to use them properly and blames this on everyone else, citing them as people with a lack of emotion. He calls this herd of people "Mechanical Animals." The second of the characters is referred to as Omega, an adrogynous organism which has fallen into the star-studded city of Hollywood. He is moulded into a great big rock star and forms a band named Omega And The Mechanical Animals. He uses drugs to relieve himself of the pressures of his fame.

The first of these vinyls target our Alpha songs. These songs have an overarching theme within them, the first of which referrs to how 'numb' this Alpha fellow is the eerie, anti-rainbow anthem "Great Big White World". The second theme highlighted is one of depression, as is highlighted in the acoustic classic "Speed Of Pain" and the final, bone chilling song on the B-track "Coma White". Majority of these songs depict Manson exposing Alpha's sorrows with Twiggy Ramirez and Zim Zum strumming their guitars softly in the background to give an ambient effect (Number two of the B-track has John 5's guitarring skills and the only song on this record to do so.) Props to Ginger Fish as well for giving us that stellar feel that lightly pounds in the background.

The second of these vinyls has Omega and the Mechanical Animals churning out the music their record producers asked them to.(Conceptually speaking) The overruling themes here include that illegal stuff named drugs. We can find it lined within the lead single and song for the A track, "The Dope Show". The second theme present is the constant sex that this individual has. Ironically, this is also the final act of the B-Track, being the slighty-dubstepped "User Friendly" Madonna Wayne Gacy makes his prescence felt here with his high-pitched keyboards having been coupled with the poppy guitar ballads that Ramirez and Zim Zum dish out, being finalised by the head-pounding drumming that is offered by Ginger Fish. Mansons' vocals are a bit raspy here, but it won't hinder the overall listening quality of the record.

While this record is a gem, it has but one flaw with its' vinyl release: there is a repetitive hollow drum in the interludes on the Alpha songs which generally lasts about 10-12 seconds, and it can become rather annoying at times, but again, this does not hinder the overall quality of the record.

All in all, this record is a fun and very conceptual look into the world of fictitious bands and a depressed guy who blames society for being so. I recommend you get this album, but in a CD format rather than in Vinyl, unless of course annoying hollow drums is your thing.

Pink Floyd The Piper at the Gates of DawnMarilyn Manson Holy Wood
Lunachicks Luxury ProblemNOFX Liberal Animation
Jack Off Jill Sexless Demons and ScarsBritney Spears ...Baby One More Time
Jacob Russell (4.5)
Doing an impressive leap away from the darkness and into a Great Big White World....

Jeremy Bentham (4)
Going in a different direction from the darkness that was "Antichrist Superstar" , Manson released "...

SickoKid (4)

April 23rd 2011

The "serious" songs on this are some of my all time favourite songs.

The anthem-like tracks on this get on my nerves.

Digging: Anberlin - Lowborn

eternium
April 23rd 2011

I don't care what anyone says, those three albums are the shit.

WashboardSuds
April 23rd 2011

typo in the last paragraph, you said Vilyn instead of vinyl

SloppyMilkshake
April 24th 2011

I remember when I use to be obsessed with this guy...

BassDemon333
April 24th 2011

Antichrist Superstar, this, and Holy Wood are all fantastic albums with Holy Wood being his best work.

Coma White is sooooo good.

Zo0lz
April 24th 2011

I shall correct that typo.

Kris.

lol manson suckks

BloodSweatandBeers
April 24th 2011

Manson should've stopped at Antichrist Superstar. The shock appeal got stale fast.

Zo0lz
April 24th 2011

Yes, I do find his music has been on a steep decline, but this record still tends to keep relevant for me.

Tyrael

20740 Comments

Manson should've stopped at Antichrist Superstar. TThe shock appeal got stale fast.

I don't listen to Manson for his shock appeal, I listen to him because he manages to create very interesting songs with a deeper meaning that form a critique on modern society.

Chrisjon89
April 24th 2011

Good review man. I know a few of his songs but never really got into it.

I can't help but think of South Park when I hear of Manson now, with that whole 'I just smelled your britches and they're stinky...stinky britches!' song. I recorded that and made it my ringtone.

Typo in the second last paragraph (repetitive) but I'll pos it.

Digging: Ichiko Aoba - 0%

ConsiderPhlebas
April 24th 2011

I dug The Dope Show when this came out. The concept actually sounds pretty cool.

fish.
April 24th 2011

Coma White is one of my favourite songs of all time.

Digging: Septicflesh - Communion

Darkvoid67
April 24th 2011

Not as good as holy wood but still kicks ass

crazyblinddude
April 24th 2011

Nice review man. Haven't given this a listen in a good while, but I remember this had some songs
slayed.