Black Sabbath
Master of Reality

by sonictheplumber STAFF USER (107 Reviews)
April 20th, 2011 | 159 replies

Release Date: 1971 | Tracklist

Master of Reality is the greatest stoner rock album of all time. Not just that, but it's also one of the finest rock 'n' roll albums out there, period.

This album is the pinnacle of everything Sabbath was about - truly heavy crushing riffs that could level entire mountains and skyscrapers, a high level of darkness and mysticism, and basically the most evil-sounding music one could imagine. Master... is the perfect blend of all of this - it is their doomy peak, and it came along just before the keyboards and lighter sounds that would be found on later albums. Despite the doomy, crushing feel of the music, the album is quite spiritual - the lyrics promote a message of love, Christ (or at least some type of spiritual connection), marijuana (the peace plant), and of course Sabbath's ever-present anti-war themes that were always a part of their music.

Ozzy's voice is in tip-top shape - before he made lame dance music and read the lyrics from teleprompters in concert. His voice is haunting, heavy, and unique. He sounds like a demon who is gargling a bunch of acorns. But god damn, he sounds good doing it. Tony Iommi is of course, riffing like a madman. He is the most ripped off guitarist in history - there isn't a single metal band out there who hasn't borrowed a bit from his playing. Geezer Butler's bass provides the backbone for the group and although he's not at all technical or flashy, he doesn't need to be. (New metal bassists taking notes?) The drumming on this bitch is like if Tarzan decided to play drums. Bill Ward doesn't just drum, he ***ing pounds his kit into oblivion.

Lyrically, this is one of the happiest and most spiritually-enlightened albums in rock history. Christian rock groups don't achieve this level of greatest because more often than not, those bands are not sincere - Sabbath was. Despite the fact that many in 1971 labelled Sabbath as satanic and evil, they promote a positive message. Any atheist should listen to "After Forever" or "Lord of this World" and they will certainly question their stance on religion. I myself am not religious at all, but even I want to at least visit a Hindu burial ground while jamming to these songs. And of course "Sweet Leaf" promotes the plant of marijuana. In fact, I'd say at least 60% of all true pot smokers smoke because of Sabbath. This is a true fact. And of course, Sabbath have the anti-war message on "Into The Void", the heaviest track on the album and a song with more groove and more soul and more goddamn passion than any of the bands that ripped off Sabbath.

So yeah, this album rules. Happy 420.

Sieges Even Life CycleKorpiklaani Ukon Wacka
Thergothon Stream From The HeavensThe Obsessed Lunar Womb
Saint Vitus Mournful CriesKate Bush The Kick Inside

Crysis

pos

YetAnotherBrick
April 20th 2011

sonic, you're awesome. I'm glad we have a reviewer like you on this site haha

And I need to jam this pretty soon.

Digging: Soul Coughing - Ruby Vroom

Nagrarok
April 20th 2011

First heard about the 4/20 thing today - listened to this.

AngelofDeath
April 20th 2011

Fabulous album and review. I think I might like Vol. 4 and Paranoid slightly better, but Sabbath is one hell of a consistent band.

Jethro42
April 20th 2011

''I'd say at least 60% of all true pot smokers smoke because of Sabbath''

Yeah Sabbath was pretty influential.
''...I don't smoke pot personally but damn this album is all the pot I need''

Yeah album is pretty influential.

NocteDominum
April 20th 2011

Pos sonic. Love the Tarzan section.

AngelofDeath
April 20th 2011

Yeah, they did release some stinkers, but their first six and the first two with Dio own hard.

kangaroopoo

great review

Ire
April 20th 2011

like the best album ever man

rockandmetaljunkie
April 20th 2011

The HEAVIEST album in rock history.
Nothing will ever touch this masterpiece.

shrapnel
April 20th 2011

Uhhh, what about 'Solitude'?

Ire

i bumped

it is a 5 now

WHY ARE YOU KNOTT STAFF

shrapnel

WHY ARE YOU KNOTT STAFF

but he is:
sonictheplumber STAFF USER (86 Reviews)

Inveigh
April 20th 2011

hell yeah, my favorite Sabbath album

good review sonic

Digging: Nero Di Marte - Derivae

MO

19078 Comments

Great review man. Love me some Sabbath, Children of the Grave is so dope...but not as much as Sweet Leaf.

qwe3
April 20th 2011

This album is the pinnacle of everything

agreeeeed pos

demigod!

Metal

Digging: Black Sabbath - Master of Reality

ShadowRemains

awesomeness

JamieTwort
April 21st 2011

Awesome review sonic. This is my favourite Sabbath album although Paranoid comes damn close.

Digging: Foxes in Fiction - Ontario Gothic

April 21st 2011

This album is so good. As you know I referenced and included this album in my list yesterday.