The Ruins Of Beverast
Foulest Semen of a Sheltered Elite

by Please repent USER (4 Reviews)
April 16th, 2011 | 14 replies | 7,076 views

Review Summary: If you are lucky enough, it will crush you and leave you craving for more.

The Ruins of Beverast is Alexander von Meilenwald’s (previously in Nagelfar) solo project. Alexander opts for a rather unique brand of black metal that incorporates OSDM, doom and experimental elements as well as many other components that create a very dark and haunting atmosphere. Labelling music aside, the album works great as a unified whole and maintains a very unique sound, full of amazing little details that really bring it to “life”.

Moving away from the murky production of his previous effort, Meleinwald presents us with a cleaner, much more heavy and direct sound to help enchance the hitting power of the riffs. This is a decision driven by the far more traceable influence from OSDM and doom on this album. The atmosphere is just as tangible though, don't be mistaken. I'd even go as far as to say that this is a very introverted album. Whereas "Rain upon the impure" projected a vast soundscape that you felt lost in, "Foulest semen..." induces feelings of claustrophobia.

The music here can be emotional at times and even has some catchy riffs but the main focus is on the atmosphere. There is a feeling of helplessness, amplified by the long duration of the album. It’s like drowning in a huge room where dissonance reigns. It is a journey through lands full of hellish imagery and scenes of a grotesque quality. It is bound to tire most listeners off and drive them away. However, if you are lucky enough, it will crush you and leave you craving for more. To create this atmosphere, Alexander uses the keyboards very wisely without overdoing it at any time. Various other effects make an appearance here and create a rather diverse background to accompany the monotony of the guitar riffs.

The vocal aspect of the band is definitely one of the strongest. Alexander may not have any formal training (or in any other instrument for that matter) but he uses his numerous singing styles to great effect. With the music being heavier in tone than most black metal, he uses many kinds of rasps and growls instead of the traditional black metal shriek. Choral chants make an appearance in many tracks as well, either from Alexander himself or from samples. This really adds to the atmosphere and creates a contrast between the tight sound of the guitars and the resonance of his voice.

Another thing that differentiates tRoB from many other bands is the approach on the lyrical part. Here, the focus is on the lyrics just as much as the music and Alexander puts a great deal of effort into them, sometimes even before the songs are composed to make sure the sound follows the theme. His lyrics are very cynical and rather poetic, drawing from many influences, mainly history and mythology, to create a bleak image of our world and the things that plight the human race.

In the end, this is not an easy album to listen to. It’s 80 minutes long which is double the length of most LPs, it rarely let’s go of the claustrophobic atmosphere and the heaviness, and at times can simply be too much to digest. Approach with an open mind and you shall be rewarded.

April 16th 2011

Not so sure about this review, cause I changed my direction so many times but hopefully it will be good enough to draw the attention of those who would be interested in this.

BirdlikeSymmetry
April 16th 2011

Review was well written. Quite so actually. It didn't really come across as unfocused. POS'D.

NEVER heard of this band/project... I am going to hopefully very soon however. I love both of the recommendations you gave (Deathspell, Blut), and I have always enjoyed Naglfar. Here's hoping for the best.

Departures
April 16th 2011

This is a pretty sweet album, wouldn't give it more than a 4/5 though.

Digging: Blu - Good To Be Home

April 16th 2011

"wouldn't give it more than a 4/5 though."
I was sure this would come up.It is a 4.5 personally (which will most probably drop to a 4 when I listen to it too much) and I would normally give it a 4 on the review but comparing it to other things that have been given a 4.5 around here I think this more than qualifies.After all, most of it's cons regard those who go looking for something completely different from what can be found here.

Thanntos
April 16th 2011

His previous albums were much much better, still this is an awesome album

rasputin
April 16th 2011

agreed with the above comment

April 17th 2011

"His previous albums were much much better, still this is an awesome album"
I don't know, I didn't like Unlock the shrine as much. Still a great album though.

Thanntos
April 18th 2011

RUTI is hard to get into at first cause of just how fucking low fi it is, but Unlock the Shrine is just ridiculously good.

Either way this is still a 4/5 for me

April 18th 2011

I'm a sucker for all his albums honestly.
Unlock the shrine is definitely the easiest to get into.

YUJOS

November 14th 2011

m/

Hawks
September 11th 2013

New album is definitely better than this.

Digging: Equilibrium - Erdentempel

PunchforPunch
September 11th 2013

i added it 2 days ago but haven't listened to the album i heard its alot more doomy

sixdegrees
November 6th 2013

new one is his worst but its a clear extension of the sound the project was transitioning to on this album and its still
quite good.

Digging: Ted Nugent - Shutup&jam!