Pariso/Kerouac
Split

by Mr. Lean Mug USER (112 Reviews)
April 11th, 2011 | 36 replies

Review Summary: Faster, looser.

Kerouac have changed yet again. Pariso, despite losing their vocalist, have just gotten about 10 times more rad. That’s pretty much the sum of these two UK hardcore acts latest 5” split release. The former have managed to get tighter and garner even more depth despite gaining some (wait for this one) melody. The latter have just shortened their songs down to powerviolence length which is probably the type of music they were meant to make all along.

In fact, all the tracks on this split clock in at an average of 30 seconds or so. The 5 part “Fiends” series offered by Kerouac might just be their best *song* yet. It manages to be wholly different from what they did on both Cold and Distant and their last split with The Long Haul. “Fiends” slows things down bit by bit allowing the spotlight to fall on Kerouac’s songwriting and lyrical prowess (because they’ve always been killer lyricists. Don’t believe me? Go read the sheets for C and D. It’s practically a religious experience.) Pariso, on the other hand, find themselves being something of a bastard spawn of Crossbreaker, Lavotchkin, and some good British powerviolence band that I’m sure has to exist. Hell they even named one song “Blastbeast" for Satan’s sake. It’s almost a shame that the original line-up is falling through after this record because to say they’ve improved their sound from Sooner Insignificant Better is an understatement.

The two sides of the split are polar opposites but fully capable of bringing the mosh. This is some real headbanger shit folks, and it’s easily one of the best tag-team hardcore releases of 2011 thus far.

Freddie Gibbs and The World's Freshest The Tonite ShowDe La Soul Smell The DA.I.S.Y.
Fucked Up Year of the DragonRome Fortune Beautiful Pimp II
Maxo Kream QuiccstrikesSelf Defense Family Try Me

April 11th 2011

album art coming, but don't expect much. it's maaaad gay

hope he doesnt sue me

April 11th 2011

nice this sounds awesome, checking out the bandcamp

Digging: Taylor Swift - 1989

April 11th 2011

it's over very quickly unlike death by aids

April 11th 2011

that album art is ok. nothing special but it's fine. I wouldn't say it's maaad gay at all.

April 11th 2011

"it's over very quickly unlike death by aids"

hahaha

yah it's like ...5 minutes for 10 songs wth

Sooner Insignificant Better is pretty badass

April 11th 2011

yeah but it's a pretty awesome five minutes

April 11th 2011

@ phlebas yeah it's not bad, but this is better. muuuuuuuuuch better

Hmm think I disagree... No Hope sounds a bit boring

bu bu but

butt

April 11th 2011

this is good, but it's almost too short. Like, right when I'm really starting to get into it, it's over.

April 11th 2011

well i think that was the point of this release sort of

i mean, you wanna hear some REALLY short hardcore albums. because this is pretty long compared to a lot of stuff

cvlts
April 11th 2011

didnt really curr enuff to look for this. fuck it..

seriously?
haha man I thought Cold and Distant, Not Loving was short I guess I'm just a hxc n0000b. But I don't know, I liked how Cold and Distant was short and easy to digest, I think it's length was a strength, but there's a limit to that strategy, and I think this album toys with that limit so I think I'll stay away from the REALLY short stuff.

Fugue
April 11th 2011

Release rules so much. Cool review man, nice and succinct.

Digging: Damien Rice - My Favourite Faded Fantasy

freek gets it@!

sniper

19080 Comments

the kerouac side is awesome. pariso side is pretty cool also.

April 11th 2011

Short songs are all good, but the Pariso stuff feels weak compared to their album