Vigilante
The New Resistance: North American Special Edition

by Trey Spencer STAFF
April 7th, 2011 | 29 replies | 10,123 views

Review Summary: The first really good industrial metal album of the year, in large part due to the abundance of guest musicians.

Industrial is often criticized for its terrible vocals. It would be hard for anyone to deny that a lot of these bands’ vocals are very monotonous and generally processed to the point of absurdity. This is often compounded by very two-dimensional music and a total lack of ideas. There are those that can look past these issues, but the better option is to just find bands that avoid these pitfalls from the start – Chile’s Vigilante is one of those bands that have found a good way of keeping their music fresh. They do this by inviting people to guest on every song. At first glance, this might sound like a very gimmicky approach but it works and the band’s music proves that having the guests is just icing on an already well-constructed cake.

The album actually begins a little deceivingly with a very dark, atmospheric introduction that will remind people of the psychological mindfuck created by electro bands such as Acylum and Life Cried, but the feeling is short lived. The rest of the album is a near-perfect exercise in solid industrial metal that manages to avoid feeling redundant due to the abundance of guest musicians. These musicians include Hanin Elias (previously of Atari Teenage Riot) on the song “The New Order”. It’s a high-energy dance song that alternates between dissonant and catchy thanks to the excellent chorus and gritty guitar riff. Later in the album Jurgen Engler from Die Krupps gives a powerful vocal performance on the title track, and ends up delivering one of the heavier songs on the album. It’s this willingness to tailor the songs to the strong points of each guest musician that keeps the album not only feeling fresh, but also allows it to maintain a high level of quality throughout.

An album with so many guest musicians always has the potential to sound like an unfocused mess, but that isn’t the case on The New Resistance. This is because each track is based on a formula that includes high-energy beats, swirling layers of synth and gritty guitar riffs. The differences come due to the guest musicians providing their own spin as well as each track smoothly adapting itself to the musician’s strengths. The final product is an album that is really everything an industrial metal album should be – energetic, heavy, excellent electronic accompaniment and vocalists that are capable of carrying the whole thing to another level. The New Resistance is that album and is an excellent kick-start to a genre that has been a little lacking lately.

Anathema Distant SatellitesFlotsam and Jetsam No Place for Disgrace - 2014
Mindcage Our Own DevicesFates Warning Darkness in a Different Light
Queensryche QueensrycheSkinny Puppy Weapon
3.3

April 8th 2011

The album is streaming here (it's the fourth one down):

Recommendations: The New Resistance, Our Jihad, The New World

Digging: Nero Di Marte - Derivae

Metalstyles
April 8th 2011

Good review as always man. I'm a little busy today but I'll try and look into this during the weekend as this does sound promising.

Also, ahem, not the first good industrial metal album this year [hint: my last review] ;)

Acanthus
April 8th 2011

Sweet more things to look into!

Emim

Cool. Will check out.

Mewcopa0

Strapping Young Lad?!

ThyCrossAwaits
April 8th 2011

goin retro with the avatar Willie?

Zion
April 8th 2011

Gave a couple tracks a listen, didn't do anything for me. I've never gotten into this genre though.

sithofheaven

Nice artwork...

April 8th 2011

Yeah, I think it's something you could get into. I'll looked into your last review and it does sound interesting. I know better than to make blanket statements like that, but sometimes they sneak in.

Strapping Young Lad?!
It's actually just Byron Stroud (or however you spell his name) -- the bass player for SYL and Fear Factory.

goin retro with the avatar Willie?
It's an oldie but a goodie.

What about the genre do you not like?

Meatplow
April 9th 2011

should I listen to this Trey?

April 9th 2011

I like this but the songs are kind of cliché.

April 9th 2011

@Meatplow: I don't know for certain. Click the stream link on my first comment and try on of the reccomended songs.

@ButcheredChildren: ha ha. I never used the words 'innovative' or 'original'. But as far as straight-up industrial metal goes, these guys are really damn good.

April 9th 2011

That's true you didn't, if you check out their older stuff though it's slightly more interesting, although there are a lot less features.

April 9th 2011

Whoa, didn't even recognize this with the different album art!

I saw this on a blog and ignored it, but damn some of the guests are awesome! Tyske Ludder and FGF? Count me in.

Digging: Interpol - El Pintor

April 9th 2011

I foresee this being a 3 for you bloc.

You're probably right

April 9th 2011

@ButcheredChildren: I never even heard these guys before the promo showed up. I'll probably check out their older stuff eventually.

@bloc: yeah. You'll give it a three because you have to appear elite ;)

April 9th 2011

Ladies and gentlemen, ButcheredChildren and Wille!

You guys were so right.

April 9th 2011

Just assume I have psychic abilities.

Yes, I will assume that.

And Willie will forgive me once I mention there's a new free Acylum EP.