Ghostlimb
Infrastructure

good

by Eric USER (161 Reviews)
April 4th, 2011 | 32 replies | 9,746 views

Review Summary: Infrastructure: it goes to 11... again.

Ghostlimb’s Infrastructure is a difficult album to analyze: not because there’s much more depth than the ire and fury that emits from one of the angriest (even by hardcore’s standards) albums to grace the scene in a fair amount of time, but rather because of the band’s discography. It causes a conundrum. Infrastructure is more of the same; perhaps even more pissed, faster, and angrier in particular spots than their past work, but more of the same nonetheless. Chances are, fans of Bearing & Distance and Ghostlimb know what to expect by this point. There’s the chaotic guitars, engaging songwriting, equally ferocious percussion, and a rabid, man-eating (I can only assume so) vocalist bent on delineating further his views on the economy or ecosystem sustainability AS LOUD AS HE FUCKING CAN (for accuracies sake, I would have written this entire review in caps, but that would have been rather unpleasant). Ghostlimb have enjoyed success playing hardcore in the ridiculously pissed-off style of Dangers and His Hero Is Gone, complete with social commentary, and Infrastructure is no different.

Problem is, it’s no different. Even the best of formulas deserve a little tweaking now and then, especially when the band at hand is as obviously talented and intelligent as Ghostlimb. Take the songwriting for instance-- though short-fused at one to two minutes long, each track is a firecracker on the verge of exploding, and the band’s timing is impeccable. The subsequent rises and falls sound perfectly deliberate to induce the maximum amount of energy... a craft most obvious on tracks like “Unending Ache,” “Extreme Duress,” and “Concrete.” While there’s definitely a sense of uniformity throughout, a few standouts highlight Ghostlimb’s ability to emphasize their ire through the simmering build-ups and succeeding explosions. Closer “Plastic Surgery” slows down the tempo for the finale and pushes the vocalist to the forefront, but the track feels tacked-on rather than an organic piece of the structure. The 25-minute album is just the right length though, as any more chaotic catharsis would have been exhausting. So, while Ghostlimb’s Infrastructure is an excellent addition to the heavier side of 2011’s repertoire, I feel myself asking why the band, who is obviously talented, couldn’t have afforded a few more exciting ingredients to add to the hardcore stew. With its small scope and utter ferocity, Ghostlimb’s Infrastructure can be hailed as nothing but another success from the consistent group, but their third LP also gives off the aura that they’re not quite playing to their potential.

Mogwai Rave TapesTau Tau Eyelids
Ghost Ship Golden GirlsCrosses EP
Warren Franklin Your Heart Belongs To The MidwestFrightened Rabbit A Frightened Rabbit EP
3.2

ffs

coolband

iFghtffyrdmns
April 4th 2011

angriest (even by hardcore’s standards) album
albums should be plural

another great review though eric. sneaking up on 150, pretty wild.
I'll most likely avoid this. when is 2011 gonna give us some super awesome hardcore!? still waiting I guess.

Hep Kat

2011 has seen several super awesome hardcore albums

pizzamachine

Great review!

cvlts
April 4th 2011

nice. yeah, i this was good but it just lacks the bite from their previous albums.

reviewed this for another site and it basically mirrors everything you said.

Digging: As Cities Burn - Come Now Sleep

iFghtffyrdmns

"2011 has seen several super awesome hardcore albums

leading the pack are the new mother of mercy, low threat profile, manners, until your heart stops, and weekend nachos releases"

that's right I've been meaning to check the manners one out for a bit now.
eh I'll get around to it eventually.

Acanthus
April 4th 2011

Review gets to the point, I like that.

Pos'd

Digging: Ayria - Hearts for Bullets

ConsiderPhlebas
April 4th 2011

This album has got some positive attention from the mainstream print media over here. Interested to hear it now.

thanks guys!

rasputin
April 4th 2011

good review, want to hear this still

NocteDominum
April 5th 2011

Nice review sea have a pos, not that it matters to your approval rating much.

Omaha
April 5th 2011

Have this album, been waiting for a chance to listen to it. Nice review! Pos.

Digging: Koan Sound - Dynasty

JarethCutestory

Meh album

EyesWideShut
April 5th 2011

Ghostlimb's always good even if this isnt the awesome S/T.

tuk

I bet this is awesome

no it's just good

ConsiderPhlebas

It's pretty awesome

April 5th 2011

... users not concurring with seaanemone... I must be on the wrong website!

lol but glad you think so CP, you should really check out their previous LP's if you think so

cvlts
April 5th 2011

album is pretty bland actually