Steak Number Eight
All Is Chaos

by Gajarigon USER (2 Reviews)
April 2nd, 2011 | 8 replies

Review Summary: What happens when Mastodon plays Godspeed

After winning Belgium's most famous rock contest at the age of 15, Steak Number Eight's mix of sludge metal and post-rock has quickly become the most exciting sound to emerge from Belgium. Their first album 'When the Candle Dies Out...' (2008) was well received, and the expectations for the follow-up were extremely high. They went to Los Angeles to work with Matt Bayles (producer of Mastodon), who helped them expand their sound. With an average age equal to 18 years old and 'All Is Chaos' as a solid album to back them up, Steak Number Eight seems ready to start conquering the rest of the world.

Ironically, the album opens with the most adolescent song they have ever made. 'Dickhead' is sludgy post-metal at its best, but without the classical pathos that seems to be inherent to the genre. Just an outlet for rage and frustration, oozing with agression. The vocals of singer Brent Vanneste have significantly improved since their debut, and with his monstruous screams on songs like 'Pyromaniac' he seems to channel Aaron Turner from Isis.

After the two heaviest songs on the album, the post-rock influence slowly but steady kicks in. With its short playtime and almost catchy chorus, 'The Calling' is an excellent single. 'Stargazing' arguably is the best song on the album, and is reminiscent of Oceansize's heavier side. The culmination of the post-rock angle is 'Track into the Sky', which starts with a Slintesque intro, only to grow slowly like a Godspeed song to an incredible climax, further strengthened by the addition of a choir.

The longest song on the album is 'Drowning in Your Blood', which shows how Steak Number Eight manages to blend ambient with sludge metal to increase tension. Much like Tool's 'Tick & Leeches', the lingering silence creeps up and fills the listener with anticipation. Its impressive how such a young band can master all these aspects of music so quickly.

There seems to be only little room left for improvement for Steak Number Eight. The clean vocals could benefit from less sound effects or could be dropped all together. The symbiosis of post-metal and post-rock may seem like neither fish nor fowl for some, so a little more focus could improve the overal cohesion of their albums. Still, for such a young band to put out a record like this is highly exceptional, and they deserve to get some more attention.

Standout tracks: Dickhead, Stargazing, Track into the Sky

April 3rd 2011

I was going to review this actually. I got their EP a while ago and sensed a young band that just needs to put out a few albums to get it right.

I disagree that they won't improve. With more focus, better production and a clear sense of direction they can prove you wrong. Hopefully this is just a stepping stone. Dickhead rules quite a bit though.

If you like these guys, check out a band called Satory. (ep is free)

EDIT: link to Satory:

April 3rd 2011

the most exciting sound from Belgium

the most exciting sound to come from Belgium, with respect to the post-metal genre.

With an average of 18

With an average age equal to 18 years old

'Dickhead' is sludgy post-metal as good as it gets

is sludgy post-metal at its best

Nevertheless, the text is adequately descriptive, although it lacks a proper closure paragraph.

keep writing.

Digging: The Membranes - Dark Matter/Dark Energy

April 4th 2011

Thanks for the feedback, I editted the review a bit. I'm also happy the album art finally got fixed .

April 28th 2011

Such a great album, I'm quite proud that I'm Belgian when I hear these guys... The Calling is the best thing I've heard this year.

May 5th 2011

I am really enjoying this album. Reminds me alot of Ghost Brigade.

April 8th 2012

Only just getting to hear this, Metal Hammer gave it away in their most recent issue in the UK.

Digging: Goodbye to Gravity - Mantras of War

November 20th 2012

Dickhead is the most interesting song despite being the least artsy fartsy.

September 6th 2013

this might just be better than the hutch

Digging: The Associates - Sulk