Arcane Roots
Left Fire

by Phideaux USER (6 Reviews)
March 30th, 2011 | 33 replies | 10,037 views

Review Summary: So let's build a house, though I don't know how. Let's make it some place that we'll call home

With Left Fire, Kingston band, Arcane Roots have created an album that is hard to classify. The album is sprinkled with bits of frantic post-hardcore, pop tinged alt. rock, and melodic hard rock. However, Left Fire clocks in at just under a half hour, giving the album a huge amount of variation in a relatively small amount of time. While one would think such an album would feel schizophrenic and unfocused, the band pulls it off with a remarkable amount of cohesiveness. Arcane Roots have not only created an excellently varied and unique album, but may have created one of 2011’s best so far.

The album begins with a dissonant sounding instrumental intro track and explodes right into In This Town of Such Weather. Complete with frantic guitars and high, wailing vocals, the track kicks off with a huge amount of energy that immediately demands your attention. A much more melodic chorus as well as screamed vocals later on perfectly round out the track as an excellent preview of the rest of the album. Right off the bat, it’s clear that the band has a knack for excellent songwriting and a great deal of ability on their individual instruments.

Left Fire’s first major highlight, You Are, tones down the frantic of the energy of the former track’s guitar assault, if only to make room for soaring vocals of the song’s fantastic chorus. Arcane Roots switches gears very effectively and the album’s mash up of genres sounds extremely natural. The three piece band has done a great job of defining their own identity at a stage where most bands would still be trying to sound like their more successful counterparts. The amount of confidence the band displays on their debut album is almost shocking.

The album’s vocal performance is outstanding. The amazing tone and range of Andrew Groves’ clean vocals are perfectly balanced with equally impressive screams as the album’s second half takes a much more aggressive turn. Million Dollar Question’s harsh vocals and wall of crashing guitars is an almost surprising departure from the first few tracks. Only interrupted by the 30-second long Habibty, the harsher sound continues into the first half of the closer, Long & Low. The album trails off with the repetition of: I’d die if you weren’t around to pick me up again. until only the delicate vocal melody remains. Despite the fact that the album seems over far too quickly, it feels completed.

Left Fire may already be one of the year’s best albums in a year filled with highly anticipated follow ups from much more highly regarded bands. Arcane roots have created a unique listening experience by taking influence from post-hardcore, pop, and rock and mashing them together in their own way. Despite the album’s length, it offers a huge amount of variety and displays and extremely impressive level of talent, making Arcane Roots a band to watch in the future.

Silverchair DioramaSky's The Limit Sky's The Limit
Aereogramme Sleep and ReleaseRyan Shupe & The RubberBand Dream Big
Shaimus The Sad Thing is, We Like it Here

Check it out:

balcaen
March 30th 2011

your [i] tags in the second last paragraph aren't closed properly. other than that i'd say this is a decent review. looks like a neat album too. i'll be checking it out asap!

PS. anyone else think this band's name + album title looks like 'arcade fire' all together? haha. my eyes keep tricking me.

March 30th 2011

Ha ha. Oops. Thanks. And I actually typed "Arcane Fire" while writing the review a couple times. Ha ha.

March 30th 2011

The band page says this is post rock for some reason. I tried to change it but no luck. Maybe I'll ask a mod about it.

Apollo

good review

ButcheredChildren
March 31st 2011

why is the "r" in "roots" lower case?

March 31st 2011

I have no idea. I tried to change that too.

North0House2

They sound cool.
Not quite my cup of tea though, unfortunately.

Digging: This Will Destroy You - Another Language

Why's that, North?

Rembo85
April 1st 2011

i treid to add this band and album last month, great review!

mitch91
May 16th 2011

Really good review, agree with pretty much everything you've said.

I think this record gives them huge scope for the debut full-length- they could go in several different directions, maybe even all at once.

Digging: Dry The River - Alarms in the Heart

July 12th 2011

love the album artwork

Thane
March 21st 2012

"in this town of such weather" is awesome, gonna have to check this album

johnnydeking29
October 21st 2012

Rouen rules face

Digging: Envy - A Dead Sinking Story

Agreed

Plus I get all nostalgiac cos one if the best weeks of my life was
spent in Rouen and it was a staple of my childhood

NightProwler
March 14th 2013

Good review. I think I'll check this out as they've just been announced for Bilbao BBK Live. Never really heard of them before. But agreed, the album artwork is cool

Digging: Code Orange - I Am King

NightProwler
March 14th 2013

Wow, this is really good

BigPleb

Band sounds like Arcade Fire so will bring the zzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Digging: Arc Iris - Arc Iris

March 14th 2013

don't sound like arcade fire aaaat alll

also their cover of smells like teen spirit is actually really good

BigPleb