Manners
Apparitions

by Mr. Lean Mug USER (112 Reviews)
March 19th, 2011 | 109 replies

Review Summary: From the house Defeater built.

In the hardcore world a listener may find themselves often at odds with their taste, especially in this day and age. Like the music itself the whole hardcore scene in and of itself is fast moving. Bands come and go off the radar at an almost dime a dozen rate. In 2008 when Defeater released their debut Travels to the collective gasp or monotone groan of the community, people had to understand that they were a band who could change the face of the genre. To compare anything at all to Defeater directly is folly however, as the band’s loyal (read: rabid) fan base will judge them at a standard that doesn’t even exist. After all what Defeater did with Travels wasn’t anything Shipwreck weren’t doing an entire year beforehand.

On Apparitions Manners aren’t trying to be Defeater and it also isn’t quite accurate to say they’re trying to sound like Defeater either. The influence is obvious though. You’ll also hear traces of other Bridge 9 fare such as Ruiner and Dead Swans. On “Hallows,” with the gang chant “I’m the epitome of human failure” it’s clear the band is bringing their very best to make you feel something akin to those hardcore giants. Melodic hardcore is, after all, all about the passion and feeling, and the crackling energy coming from a line like accompanied by a stellar breakdown really resonates.

The EP seems to be a loose concept album about a particularly desperate romance accompanied by suicide and eventual death and descent to hell, but it really takes a backseat to the excellent songwriting structure and general mood of the album. The musical side of Apparitions is executed in top-notch fashion. All the songs are easily accessible and are definitely movers, with perfectly placed intros and outros usually accentuating some of the more daunting lyrics. Vocalist Chris Hague proves to be something of an international superhero of hardcore rookie, his lamenting wail of “Why me? I went to church every fucking Sunday” on “Solitary” being one of the album’s defining moments. His diction is great and he proves to be one of the group’s strongest assets.

For anyone who might have been disappointed by the lack of bring’n da mosh punch of Empty Days & Sleepless Nights, Manners offer a suitable alternative in Apparitions. It’s a fantastic release from what a band who are shaping up to be one of the most promising in hardcore. Apparitions is a great follow up to last year’s Escapism, managing to be all-around tighter, better produced, and more emotionally challenging. This will probably be one of the best hardcore releases period of the year, so now’s a good time to jump in.

Freddie Gibbs and The World's Freshest The Tonite ShowDe La Soul Smell The DA.I.S.Y.
Fucked Up Year of the DragonRome Fortune Beautiful Pimp II
Maxo Kream QuiccstrikesSelf Defense Family Try Me

great stuff here people

Digging: Burning Kitchen - Many Wonder About the Meaning of Life

Counterfeit

emeritus

March 19th 2011

Excellent concise review, Hep.

ButcheredChildren

yah I'll give this a go

yeah thanks

cant stop listening to these guys. i have exclusive linkzorz to their first ep if anyone wants it

iFghtffyrdmns
March 19th 2011

Nice review hep, I'll check this. In the second sentence of the first paragraph, I think you meant "in and of" instead of "in and off"

March 19th 2011

yeah i changed that, but good eye n thanks

March 19th 2011

also anyone get it ya know it

houses nyuk nyuk nyuk

Josh D.

I like this.

March 19th 2011

come on this is a four for teh rad buhraaakedaaawnz alone

cvlts

ya, dis ruelz.

and FUCK balcaen

fuckyeah this album

March 19th 2011

and speaking of melodic hxc, does anyone know when new Departures is due?

Kris.

bridge9bridge9bridge9bridge9bridge9bridge9bridge9bridge9 BESTLABELEVER GUYS

cvlts
March 19th 2011

new Departures was scheduled for this month but the mixing is takin a lil longer than planned so now its sometime in April. Homeboy from Defeater is producing (!)

Scoot
March 19th 2011

nice hep, i was gonna review this too.

solid hardcore, one of the best I've heard lately.

Digging: Renounced - The Melancholy We Ache

ButcheredChildren

commenting 3 hours and 5 listens later

albums alright but I dislike the vocals a lot

Homeboy from Defeater is producing

dfhbousdfnb;izkhsg,jhs;o,gjdfzskujhvblxcfhbpixdfjbpds

DoubtGin

WE ARE BUT LOVERS, WE ARE THE LAST OF OUR KIND
AND IF WE LET OUR HEARTS MOVE OUTWARD, WE WILL NEVER DIE

might check this out, but I have a hard time differentiating between hardcore releases somehow; hope this is as unique

March 19th 2011

this will definitely stand out