Noah and the Whale

2.0
poor

by Adam Knott EMERITUS
March 15th, 2011 | 71 replies | 14,347 views

Review Summary: Noah And The Whale are looking back on their lives and they are happy. They are also profound. This is Noah And The Whale's happy and profound album.

I no longer understand how anybody could ever feel sad. When you feel sad, why don't you just decide to feel happy, instead? If Noah And The Whale can do it, so can you. Take all the easily identified sad parts of yourself and speed them up slightly. Buy a piano, hire a gospel choir, and get hold of a synth that only plays short bursts of low noise. Now you're happy! While you're in the groove for changing, decide to be profound as well. You know. Profound. Like things about dreams and lines and things changing. Brainstorm!

Because in just the same way that melancholy break-up trauma is an accessory you can attach to your songs vicariously through quivering violins, pseudo-introspective optimism is an add-on born from major piano chords and optimistic singalongs to choruses that don't mean anything. Nothing important, anyway. Lead single 'L.I.F.E.G.O.E.S.O.N' is every bit as obnoxious as its moniker overtly suggests. Does this make Noah And The Whale lovable geeks? No. No, because it's deliberate. Absolutely everything is deliberate.

But this is not the deliberation of any sort of craft; this is deliberation of direction, music which sounds happy not because it is born from happiness but because it is meant to be happy, intended to be joyous, for people who like the idea of genuine emotional connection but don't want the hassle of actually coping with any. And the characters that Charlie Fink constructs look like characters in much the same way, like the bodies of Tom Petty characters without any of his insight. It's in the way that even the 'first-person' tales are laughably transparent and removed; The First Days Of Spring was all about 'I' - Last Night On Earth is in essence the 'He' volume of that particular device, and just as distant from any real outpouring.

Some of it's pleasant! Only mildly so, but pleasant nonetheless. So tap your feet to 'Tonight's The Kind Of Night' - an empty tale of potential played out above a pleasant enough beat. Wonder at the pretty and oh-so-deep interlude that is 'Paradise Stars' with its juxtaposition of rippling electronics and clean piano. Join in with the weightless refrain of closer 'Old Joy' and it's kind-of-philosophical outlook on, umm, life. Yeah, that's what Noah And The Whale's new album is about: life. It's about all the happy-go-lucky moments you remember from teen drama series without any of that pesky exposition. And some other happy stuff like 'pendulum hips' and destiny. So sing along and be happy! It's that easy, after all.

Mumford and Sons BabelAbel (NY) Make It Right
The Gaslight Anthem HandwrittenMotion City Soundtrack Go
Sigur Ros ValtariSilversun Pickups Neck of the Woods
2.8
good
Grant Thomas (4)
Noah and the Whale move on....

Statrick Pickles (3)
"Noah and the Whale go Broadway!" ...or something along those lines....

Ponton

it really is that easy

Digging: Mimicking Birds - Mimicking Birds

alternative summary:

this one's optimistic

March 15th 2011

Haha! As I've already said, great review dude.

SharkEthic
March 15th 2011

Good job dude! Pretty much my thoughts exactly. Especially the deliberation-part...the whole album
just seems very forced.
Pos'd

Digging: Drug Church - Paul Walker

March 15th 2011

nice you actually did it!

The First Days of Spring was a chore to get through, I won't bother with this.

Digging: Trophy Scars - Holy Vacants

AliW1993
March 15th 2011

Great review, but I love this.

I was expecting a lower score.

March 15th 2011

Nah 'cause I mean this is not a chore to get through like TFDOShit but it's still trite as fuck.

Crymsonblaze
March 15th 2011

Whenever I get sad, I stop being sad and be awesome instead

March 15th 2011

so bad. worst Caleb led hype train of all time.

iFghtffyrdmns
March 15th 2011

This is fucking fantastic. Way to go Knott, you really knocked it outta the park with this one.

Sanders
March 15th 2011

Love that you used that first paragraph.

March 15th 2011

tbh I was disappointed he didn't just submit that paragraph as the whole review

jay kay jay kay

except not really, that would have been awesome

couldwinarabbit
March 15th 2011

this is amazing adam. Fantastic job. Probably going to 1 this on principal.

March 15th 2011

I don't want to actually listen to this but I probably will just so I can give it a 1.5 or something

iluvtweepop

cjcbgzuisbfouesjdbf.vipesj

i really llike this band. great review although i probably won't agree with you when i listen to it :PPP

Tyrael

20394 Comments

Great review Knott!
Would you consider this to be better than The First Day of Spring?

Digging: Lantlos - Melting Sun

Yes. Definitely.

It's hard to make a boring album given the blueprints of quicker tempos and gospel choirs.

Romulus

1. Life Is Life

this band.

basically that

Irving
March 15th 2011

Neg. I thought this review straw-manned Noah and the Whale and...

Hahah. Jk. Great review - pos. Have enough happy in my life; will stay the fuck away from this.

Digging: Caleb McAlpine - All Things New