TesseracT
Concealing Fate

by Nick Kempster USER (1 Reviews)
March 11th, 2011 | 27 replies

Review Summary: Djent djent djent djent... Okay, sorry. But seriously, there's no denying it: TesseracT are pioneering the development of a new movement, and it's simply outstanding.

Djent. An unusual name for a genre, to say the least. However, despite the questionable terminology utilised by its proprietors, this is - without a doubt - one of the best sounds I have ever heard, and one of the most interesting new developments in the international metal scene in a long while.

For those that aren't already aware of their backstory, TesseracT are a fast-rising progressive metal band native to my own homeland, the United Kingdom. They contain one ex-member from the experimental metalcore group Fellsilent, a now-defunct band who arguably helped to establish the 'djent' style.

TesseracT, like their fellow 'djentlemen' (I'm sorry, I promise I won't use that word again) Periphery, take the bombastic, progressive guitar style of the subgenre's forefathers Meshuggah and combine it with elements of post-hardcore, math metal and experimental rock - as well as a multi-layered electronic atmosphere - creating a unique, creative, yet highly accessible style. This new subgenre successfully maintains artistic integrity and innovation, yet has undeniable newcomer appeal and mainstream potential.

However, TesseracT greatly tone down the 'core' elements - a flaw common in their peers - in favour of soaring, ethereal vocal highs that blend beautifully with the layers of shredding and ambient. The aggressive harsh vocal sections are few and far between, yet are employed for maximum intensity and effect, adding deeper complexity to the EP's staggering technical structure. The vocalist is one of the most talented I have heard in a long while, not suffering from the slightly "emo-sounding" tone that plagues his counterpart in Periphery. His oddly cathartic singing is full of genuine depth and emotion, and is one of TesseracT's greatest assets.

However, he often takes a back seat to the musicians' incredible instrumental prowess. This may be looked on as a potential risk in most cases, but the young band's jaw-dropping guitar work is devoid of the tiresome repetitiveness or overly-indulgent instrumental "wankery" common to prog rock. Every riff is complex, varied and gripping, shifting from aggressive, polyrhythmic chugging and shredding to majestic melodic hooks seamlessly and with astonishing proficiency. Whilst this music is complicated, intelligent and challenging, it is fairly easy to listen to and never exhausting (a weakness sometimes demonstrated in some of TesseracT's contemporaries, such as Animals As Leaders). Instead - for anyone with an even remotely decent attention span, at least - every second of every song is absolutely riveting. There isn't one moment that I would describe as generic or boring, in any sense. You won't find a single solitary breakdown here.

All of this raw talent and creativity is wrapped up in a glossy, sugar-coated production that boasts immense clarity and acute precision, putting the finishing touches to this near-perfect EP. The only downside I found to this is that it was over too quickly, leaving me mind-blown and hungry for more. I am now eagerly awaiting TesseracT's full-length debut, One, out later this month. I have no doubt that it will be one of the more interesting, controversial and significant metal releases this year, and will establish TesseracT as leading members of this remarkable new movement. They're already the most exciting thing to happen to the UK metal scene in a very long time.

The great Meshuggah successfully established their own unique style within a genre, and now their faithful disciples have set about pioneering a brand new genre from their sound. It's early days yet, but it's just possible that metal's defining voice in the new millenium has finally arrived. The 80's had thrash, the 90's and 00's had metalcore, and now we have this - the age of djent. It's going to be fascinating.

Recommended tracks: All of them. After all, there's only six of them, and they're all technically one extended song. However, if I was going going to call any one track essential, it would have to be track two, Deception (Concealing Fate Pt. 2).

Butkuiss (4)
A tantalizing EP that will further polarise the band's fanbase, and leave the fans hungering for Tes...

March 11th 2011

Ok, this came off as sounding pretty fanboyish, but TesseracT really are an extremely exciting prospect for metal in the UK.

This is my first review, so be nice. :P Constructive criticism is always welcome though.

poop

March 11th 2011

lol Fair enough. Honestly, that's the most constructive comment I've ever seen.

Blaizend

I like this.

djent is generally really bad tho

Willie
March 11th 2011

I haven't heard the EP, but I've heard the full-length that's coming out on the 22nd and that one sounds very samey throughout. I can't see the EP being much different.

Digging: Kenn Nardi - Dancing With the Past

March 11th 2011

The EP makes up six of the eleven songs on the album, so probably not.

I can see how people might find this samey. In retrospect I may have exaggerated certain things a little in the review. I get excited, sue me. :P

As far as djent being bad - well yes, there are a few bands jumping on the badwagon of this style that are pretty average. Styles like this will always create polarized opinions, though.

ButcheredChildren
March 11th 2011

I don't understand all the love this band gets

whats djent

March 11th 2011

I cba to explain, so I'll let this badly-written wikipedia article do it for me: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Djent

sounds made up

March 11th 2011

Basically the djjj sound the downtuned 7&8 string guitars of the genre make, this album is a let down though, if you want good Djent listen to Vildhjarta, they destroy Tesseract

March 11th 2011

Listened to one song by Vildhjarta, sounds pretty damn good already. Cheers. But how the hell do you pronounce it?

Gmork89
March 11th 2011

Saw these guys open for Devin Townsend.

East Hastings
March 11th 2011

Tesseract are a lot better than Vildhjarta

Vild-he-yarta...check out the songs Deceit, Traces and Shiver

East Hastings
March 11th 2011

Uneven Structure are decent as well

March 11th 2011

To each their own, but Tesseract went from being
heavy and atmospheric to being watered down and
atmospheric, they're just not as memorable as their
older demo material

Blaizend

Tesseract are a lot better than Vildhjarta [2]

March 11th 2011

A brief google search, and apparently Vildhjarta translates as "large penis" in Swedish.

Loving it so far. I need to find out about some of the more underground bands of this style when I have the time.

I still prefer TesseracT to pretty much any other band of this style, though. But that that's probably because I'm a sucker for anything melodic.

Check out Sikth