Scale The Summit
The Collective

by Tyler Cross USER (2 Reviews)
March 9th, 2011 | 19 replies | 6,182 views

Review Summary: Instrumental metal at its finest

Before listening to this album, I haven't been very open minded about Instrumental bands as I would just assume that half way through listening to them I would get bored and never listen the album again. Then I heard about this band on Sputnik a few days ago and people were constantly saying how good they were. So I gave them a chance and now I am hooked.

Scale The Summit's third outing is a musical masterpiece managing to take you on a journey as you listen to it, every song here manages to sound completely unique to next one and still maintains its consistency throughout. There is also a great feeling of anticipation of something incredible happening as every song is always building up to point where the music here just makes this album stand out above the rest which makes you proud to be a fan of the metal genre whether you are into vocals or not.

The instrumental work is solid, the combination of 7 and 8 string guitars and a 6 string bass manages to flow seemlessly into each other. The fact that the musicians behind the instruments are superb just makes the music better for the listener as they perform whether it would be a simple quiet guitar riff or an intense guitar riff, it is done with class. The guy behind the drum kit is also brillant at what he is doing. He manages to control the flow of the music while at the same time providing a beat that perfectly suits the pace of the song and to me, that is what makes a drummer talented.

There is honestly nothing to hate here, because the execution behind what they are doing can't be matched. Scale The Summit have managed to get 2011 of to a good start and make me want to listen to other bands in the genre and want to expand my music library and be more open minded about this genre. This album has kickstarted it for me and if you are new to the genre, give this a listen and let it take you on a journey. Arguably the best release of 2011 so far and classic in my mind.

Thompson D. Gerhart STAFF (5)
Where's the conductor? There's got to be a conductor for this type of thing....

Eli Kleman EMERITUS (4)
Scale the Summit continue carving out their niche in the instrumental metal world, creating an album...

SatelliteYears (4.5)
An instrumental epic....

kingjulian
March 9th 2011

This is an okay review for a first. Nothing like some of the atrocities that you'll see from some first-timers. However, there's a lot of awkward phrasing in here and you'll probably pick up some flack for rating the album a 5 right after just hearing about the band a few days ago.

Something I didn't realize when I joined the site was that a 5 doesn't just mean "oh hey, I really like this album, it's one of my faves." A 5 means "THIS IS GODLY."

I don't have time to explain my criticisms more but I just wanted to get in here before some of the moronic jerks come prowling around. Just keep practicing, man.

Redman54
March 9th 2011

Thanks for the feedback, this is my first review and I did spend good time on this so to see you say its better than most first timers makes me smile.

scissorlocked
March 9th 2011

yeah It's a good review for a first man.

My humble advice is to try avoiding the first person cause it makes the review less informal.
Also, for albums like these, - which is instrumental- it may be appropriate to describe the music further in order to justify such a high rating

Digging: Fantastic Mr Fox - Sketches

Erratic
March 9th 2011

Yeah, this review doesn't describe the instrumental aspect at all, and that's pretty bad considering that's the only aspect

Comatorium.
March 9th 2011

or just get high and write about deserts n shit.

Aids
March 9th 2011

or just get high and write about deserts n shit.

Digging: Trophy Scars - Holy Vacants

Josh D.
March 9th 2011

I still can't see this as a 5, but it is very good.

Photon
March 10th 2011

album reminds me of cloudkicker

Digging: Pink Floyd - The Final Cut

climactic

prob gonna write a 3 review idk

Erratic

DO IT

Motiv3
March 10th 2011

would be good to have an alternative to all the positive reviews so far.

climactic
March 10th 2011

yeah this bored the shit out of me but i need to hear it a couple more times

kingjulian
March 10th 2011

Definitely not as memorable as CDC, and having fade-outs conclude three consecutive songs is clumsy and lazy. Still, some really great moments on this.

psykonaut
March 10th 2011

yeah album reminded me of cloudkicker but with less mindblowing parts and more boring parts

Aids
March 10th 2011

yah this album is pretty great

KeithStone582
March 10th 2011

I don't know what to give this one. it's definitaly 4 worthy, but I am pondering if it deserves higher.

Spec