Defeater
Empty Days and Sleepless Nights

by CouldntThinkofaName USER (1 Reviews)
March 7th, 2011 | 8 replies

Review Summary: Defeater falls just short of a classic album.

This album is a double LP. 10 songs that have their original hardcore sound and 4 acoustic songs. Defeater has 1 LP and 2 EPs prior to this album. Their 1st LP called “Travels” was a groundbreaking album and it’s the album that put them at the top of the hardcore genre. After Defeater released an EP with 2 songs from the new album , everyone became really excited for the new album….even me.

While listening to the lyrics in their songs you can just like picture yourself being in his position. Most of the hardcore songs on the album all have the same formula. The formula is to have aggressive vocals and aggressive guitar chords and aggressive drums and have very creative story telling lyrics and screams that give you chills. Similar to the band More than Life. Defeater does all of these things almost perfectly on every song. They do these things the best on the songs “White Oak Doors” “Empty Glass” and “Waves Crash, Clouds Roll”. In my opinion those are the best hardcore songs on the album.

Now lets talk about the acoustic songs. First off, I think the acoustic songs should have not been on the album. With the way the last and most epic track “White Oak Doors” ended it would have left me wanting more and waiting for their next album. I’m not saying the acoustic tracks are bad, there just not as good as I hoped and I don’t get what the point of them were. They seem so out of place and should instead have been released as an acoustic EP. Not only that but the chords of the acoustic guitars are pretty simple. My favorite acoustic songs are the song “Brothers” and “I Don’t Mind”.

If Defeater did not have the four acoustic songs then I would have no problem giving this album a 5. But instead I will be giving it a 4.5 which isn’t that big of a difference. I can see myself listening to this album over and over again for along time, even with the acoustic songs. I really suggest you go check this album out if you already havent.

Aids
March 7th 2011

ok review, your writing is kind of choppy though, I'd re write the review.

"Their 1st LP called “Travels” was a groundbreaking album and it’s the album that put them at the
became really excited for the new album….even me. "
that's just bad"

"Similar to the band More than Life."
sentence fragment

"Now lets talk about the acoustic songs."
don't say stuff like that

not too bad for a first, but you should definitely work on it, and put your next review through some
more drafts. you need to do more than just say "here's this music, this is how is sounds," it helps
when reviews have somewhat of a concept behind them, you need to be SAYING something other than just
"this album is good/bad" otherwise there's no point for it existing, especially when it's for an
album that will inevitably have tonnes of reviews.

SloppyMilkshake
March 7th 2011

Fix the first sentence, it's lifted straight from the band's page.

chesse13
March 7th 2011

so pretty much the only complaint is the acoustic disk.. i find it funny cause thats where a lot of the hype came from

Digging: iamthemorning - Belighted

kingjulian
March 7th 2011

You're gonna get a lot of grammar criticism. There's a lot of awkward phrasing in this thing so just remember to proof-read your stuff.

FromDaHood
March 7th 2011

Not really digging the first person thing but that's just a personal bias. You should also eliminate statements like "I think these songs are the best." If it's in your review, it's clear that you think that they're the best so say it with some conviction.

WashboardSuds
March 28th 2011

too much use of the word "aggressive" here, and this really doesn't explain the formula too well except that all the instruments are aggressive. Plus, expand on the creative lyrics a little bit.

hope that helps at all

Digging: Gas - Nah und Fern

TimeToDie
November 7th 2012

"Not only that but the chords of the acoustic guitars are pretty simple."

Like every folk song ever.

KSK1
November 7th 2012

I'm gonna re-listen to this at some point but it's been a while. Didn't do anything for me before.