Electric Six
Zodiac

by pizzamachine USER (211 Reviews)
March 6th, 2011 | 12 replies | 7,625 views

Review Summary: Holy comedy album, Batman!

In ‘Jam It in the Hole’ Electric Six sing, “Stop! We are good times. We're from the 80s and we're here to help.” The notion seems ridiculous at first, but as the music plays, and as time goes by, it literally feels like time is going backwards. Dick Valentine’s bizarre vocal performance mainly attributes to this as he does his best black man impersonation, totally ecstatic over what he’s preaching, except for one difference - this dude is babbling about the signs of the Zodiac. He doesn’t mean any of what he says, of course, but one can’t help feeling a bit creeped out by the whole thing - the singer’s fake performance is uncannily convincing. Afterward, when the dust settles, the reality of the situation sets in and the listener nervously laughs at his own stupidity. Strap yourselves into the rocket, kiddies, Electric Six aren’t slowing down anytime soon.

Now, I could go on about how unintentionally disturbing the album is, but I won’t, for good reason. Ultimately, it’s Dick’s vindictive willingness to do whatever it takes to be an embarrassment that packs the album with laughs. In a land where Weird Al is missing and The Lonely Island’s new singles are lacking, Electric Six are here to do what they do best – make a comedic album that is actually funny. Dick’s performances may make him out to be a crazed fanatic, obsessed with the apocalypse, but if the ridiculousness of that, in itself, doesn’t get you off your seat, nothing will. Electric Six work hard to loosen people up, and Zodiac is the drug to do just that.

It doesn’t take much to realize that Electric Six is doing what they always do. They’re back with their usual loony approach to rock and funk, and make no effort to compromise or slow down. Pairing the singer’s psychopathic yells with eerie, female backing vocals is hilarious and really gets the train rolling. Once it gets rolling, it is impossible to stay still as it rocks along with catchy riffs, and the occasional piano, sax, etc. Really not a complex album, they make do with what they have, and it seems that’s good enough. It’s perhaps not as replay worthy as their older material, but this isn’t the kind of album you’d want to compulsively listen to anyway. For those who just want something to laugh about, Zodiac is here to scratch your itch for you.

Jeremy Soule Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion SoundtrackRa Critical Mass
Gemini Syndrome LuxSirenia Perils of the Deep Blue
Rainbow (KR) Rainbow Syndrome Part. 2Part Myth Part Legend Almagest Codex

greg84
March 6th 2011

Haha. Yeah. Good funky album and cool review! I was a tad disappointed by this as their previous one,
Kill was incredibly good. It even made my top 10 list for 2009. Only a couple of tracks out of this
one live up to that album. Jam It In the Hole is def my favorite.

Digging: Dog Fashion Disco - Sweet Nothings

March 6th 2011

Cool that you actually stayed with the band, I thought no one listened to this. Yup, I mentioned 'Jam It in the Hole' for a reason!

Douglas
March 7th 2011

at the gay bar gay bar gay bar

This band.

theacademy
March 7th 2011

most newer users don't know this but adam downer chose his username because he used to be such a huge fan of these guys lol

Tyrael

20714 Comments

Omg it's a pizza review. It's been forever since your last one!

GulliKyro
June 12th 2011

Eh not really a comedy album simply a good one.

^^^ Nice avatar.

^^^ Also nice avatar.

June 12th 2011

^^^^^^ Also nicest avatar.

The circle is complete.