BT
This Binary Universe

by Eli EMERITUS
March 5th, 2011 | 120 replies | 20,007 views

Release Date: 2006 | Tracklist

Review Summary: Simply stunning. A beautiful, engrossing album filled to the brim with style, elegance, and poise.

Until discovering This Binary Universe, I had only enjoyed BT in passing--a frivolous enjoyment of his eccentric yet thoughtful rave infused melodies. I quickly passed off his most recent affair, These Hopeful Machines as a novel, if not bloated album, chock full of sounds and music that frankly I didn’t quite fully understand (and still don‘t for that matter). But in giving BT another chance, I’ve stumbled upon a bold, yet quietly brilliant album; a record that defines Brian Transeau as an artist, rather than the disgustingly glamorous man behind the moniker.

And that’s ultimately what makes This Binary Universe feel so compelling--it’s starkly personal. Enough so, that Transeau created an original computer program, just for this record. However, the main thing to take away from the album is how organic it really feels. Yes that sounds a little silly describing an electronica album--a genre seen as cold and artificial--but it’s most definitely fitting when you hear the pattering of rain against piano keys, or the dramatic swelling of strings and percussion. And while it’s true that anyone can throw a litany of elements into some genre bending and call it “revolutionary,” it take an actual musician to make it work, and sound so natural as well. However, BT does just that, as if the fantastically complex and emotionally arresting album that This Binary Universe is, simply leapt from his mind and onto some score sheets.

This Binary Universe, while clearly a minimalist outing, is fascinatingly thematic. It’s the more classical side of BT, full of beauty and bombast, played to those who want to quietly savor an album while it simmers and stews in their mind. Like Kashiwa Daisuke’s 2007 Program Music I, the album is built on very lengthy compositions (although not nearly of the same length as said record), with emphasis on strings and piano, as well a glitchy aesthetics. It’s truly an electronica affair at heart, but there’s quite a bit more here than that, with the album literally oozing style at every turn. It’s obvious the ex-Berkley School of Music student knows his stuff, with This Binary Universe featuring a multitude of instruments and sounds. From common strings to mis-wired children’s toys, the album is filled to the brim with styles both strange and conventional.

The album opens with “All That Makes Us Human Continues,” arguably the most beautiful of the record. It’s lush and serene, a track steeped in hopeful emotions and starry-eyed wonder. It feels so natural, and so wonderful, even though the ambient intro and subtle guitar driven mid-section is nothing spectacularly unique. Yet the way it is played out, the way it feels is something that truly is marvelous. Engrossing moments like these aren’t in short supply, as they are literally sprinkled everywhere, enough so, that it’s nigh impossible to go into any sort of great detail. Whether it be the dramatic string lead middle of “The Internal Locus,” or the almost danceable “1.618,” there’s just an insurmountable amount of memorable moments. “The Anhtkythera Mechanism” stands out as the most shockingly boisterous piece. The ending borders on chaotic, with an orchestral section playing menacingly, right before an unpredictable glitch-filled breakdown. Although each tune has it‘s fair share of greatness, it‘s “Good Morning Kaia” that stands out among the rest. Written for his daughter, the song is the most light-hearted and hopefully jovial on the entire record. It swells and bursts like a post rock track, with a lush piano melody played throughout. It’s simply a phenomenal song, and one that closes out the album perfectly.

Perhaps this reviewer has given This Binary Universe, and ultimately BT himself, too much credit. Maybe this isn’t as groundbreaking or revolutionary as has been told. After all, the electronic/neo-classical shtick has been done before, and with a far greater following than this. However, this isn’t a simple musician playing to his fans, nor is it a man trying so desperately to prove something, but rather, this is the sound of an artist playing for himself. This is BT at his most profound, something not seen before, and something that may very well not be seen again. Perhaps it was a spark; a wildfire of inspiration that gave birth to This Binary Universe. Regardless of what it was, it is an album that for those who embrace its dreamy, enveloping sounds cape, will have a difficult time ever forgetting it.

Fell Voices Regnum SaturniHammock Oblivion Hymns
4.4

Xenophanes
March 6th 2011

This really, really needed a review, and honestly deserves a much better one than this.

Either way I fucking love this album, and a huuuuuuge shout out to Yotimi who brought this to my attention.

sifFlammable
March 6th 2011

Nice work and pos (and shoutout to yotimi from me too haha).

My one gripe with the album was that some of its songs were using the same structural formulas - starting off mildly and then ending with chaos. Cool album overall

Masochist
March 6th 2011

This really, really needed a review

Yes, oh yes it did.

I listen to this album more than any other electronica album I have, save for perhaps BT's 'Movement In Still Life' (if you couldn't tell, BT's my favorite electronic artist). Amazing album, this is.

Digging: He Is Legend - Heavy Fruit

Yotimi
March 6th 2011

Sweet dude and good review. I'm glad you liked it this much.

Digging: Millie and Andrea - Drop The Vowels

Manic_
March 6th 2011

amazing album. i'm surprised it never had a review before, will read now.

FreePizzaDay
March 6th 2011

This album takes me places. One weekend I spend three days doing nothing but watching Futurama and listening to this.

Rev
March 6th 2011

I helped bring it to your attention :/

lancebramsay

Pos'd

I'm checking this out now, I love me some minimalist electronic music.

I liked all of this review except for the first 3 sentences in the last paragraph. Why would you discredit everything you just said?

FreePizzaDay
March 6th 2011

"I helped bring it to your attention :/"

Who me? Or the reviewer?

Acanthus
March 6th 2011

Cool something new to check out!

Pos'd

Tyrael

20822 Comments

record.

Something feels iffy about this sentence...
credit.

Nah. Pos.

crazyblinddude
March 6th 2011

Sick review for a sick album. I'm glad it was you who got to do it.

TheArkitecht
March 6th 2011

Incredible album and awesome review, pos'd.

Deviant.
March 6th 2011

as well a glitchy aesthetics.

it‘s “Good Morning Kaia” stands out among the rest.

Missing "that" between 'Kaia' and stands

This is BT at his most profound,

No, that would be Ima ;)

Digging: Banks - Goddess

scissorlocked
March 6th 2011

this is amazing. I haven't listened to it for a year

great work with the review Xeno

Digging: Leon Vynehall - Music For The Uninvited

WashboardSuds

great review, pos'd

both this and that Kashiwa Daisuke album you recommend are awesome

Digging: Gas - Nah und Fern

pizzamachine
March 6th 2011

You've done it again Xeno!

This is BT at his most profound,

Agree with Dev, Ima's pretty much a classic. Excellent review though Elijah, I'm glad to see that you're taking an active interest in more electronica music.

Tyrael

20822 Comments

Gyro sighting!
Ima's better yeah.

Rev
March 6th 2011

Fantastic review for a fantastic album, good job man