Fates Warning
No Exit

by iceman3019 USER (1 Reviews)
November 8th, 2005 | 52 replies | 7,675 views

Release Date: 1988 | Tracklist

Fates Warning is one of those bands that have gone under the radar, and yet, have one of the most loyal fanbases.  They formed back in 1983, and if you read the band description on the previous page, they were just an Iron Maiden replica. Their 1983 debut, Night on Brocken, reflects this quite well. With The Spectre Within, their 1985 release and second album, they started to explore medieval and mystical themes in their songs, as well as longer song compositions. Though not quite progressive yet, long songs and DnD lyrics are always fun to listen to . .

In 1986, Fates Warning took a leap in terms of musicianship, and in their third album, Awaken the Guardian, they started to explore the mechanics of (more) DnD lyrics, blistering guitar solos, and odd time signatures. Awaken the Guardian was truly progressive, and their 1988 album, No Exit, is an evolution of their past progressive metal explorations in Awaken the Guardian. No Exit is often considered to be Fates Warning's heaviest album (think Iron Maiden, but slower, heavier, and with progressive elements). It's also worth noting that John Arch, the Dickenson clone and the vocalist from 1983-1986, left the band, and on No Exit was their first album with new vocalist Ray Adler

Well, you clicked on this link for a reason, so without further delay, let us begin .
Lineup:
Ray Alder - vocals
Frank Aresti - guitars
Jim Matheos - guitars
Joe DiBiase - bass
Steve Zimmerman - drums

1. No Exit (0:41)
Nothing special with this track, just Ray Adler wailing away and Jim Matheos picking away slowly on the acoustic guitar.  It’s almost an overture, as it sets a dark, dreamy and moody feeling for the rest of the album . . . No Rating/5

2. Anarchy Divine (3:46)
Now you'll understand what I mean when I said that this is Iron Maiden, but slower, heavier, and with progressive elements. Matheos and Aresti open the song with two solos, both of which shouldn't be overlooked. Matheos and Aresti can both do their fair share of shredding, as well as acoustic finger picking, and Anarchy Divine is basically just a show-off of the former. Zimmerman has some nice drum fills here and there; DiBiase's pounding and punchy bass is quite audible and adds to the rhythm nicely, and Ray Adler's siren-like vocals are commendable, as he can reach notes that comparable to James LaBrie of Dream Theater and Alan Tecchio of Watchtower. Anarchy Divine seems to deal with desensitization of the individual in society, though the lyrics are quite vague and are open to interpretation . . . 5/5

3. Silent Cries (3:17)
Silent Cries opens with more crunchy distortion, though it comes to a close about twenty seconds in, and a lone clean guitar and vocals take it from there. Then a distorted guitar enters again, followed by the chorus of, "Silent cries, behind outcast eyes, hides a child who cannot speak, silent cries!" Then same formula is repeated again until the bridge, where Matheos and Aresti shred up and down their necks. It's quite predicable after that, with the verse and chorus repeated again ...4/5

4. In a Word(4:25)
The second song on the album to start with an acoustic guitar arpeggiating (the first being the title track). It's a rather depressing and solemn melody, until the bass and drums enter (no distortion yet).Adler's beautiful vocals join the mix, with the lyrics, "We were born to brave cold weather, stormy seas in search for treasure, light you must wield to blind another, doomed to run forevermore." A distorted chorus follows, then a short guitar solo, and the verse, chorus, and bridge. The bridge though, unlike the previous songs, is the opening arpeggiated riff, with a very melodic lead guitar line. It comes to a close with a marching bassline and drumline, though they only serve as a segue into another solo. Then the chorus is repeatedly and faded out slowly . . . 5/5

5. Shades Of Heavenly Death (5:56)
Opens with some rather melodic drumming, giving way to a very thrash/metallic influenced riff. The riff then simplifies down to repeated triplets, with some catchy fills here and there. This is actually repeated throughout the whole song, and the only real standout here are two guitar solos and some cool, metallic riffage, so there's not much else . . . 3/5

6. The Ivory Gate of Dreams (21:50)
Yea, that's right, twenty-one minutes and fifty seconds long, with eight movements.Of all the twenty minute epics that I've heard, "The Ivory Gate of Dreams" beats out "Echoes", "Lizard", "Octavarium", "Black Rose Immortal," "A Change of Seasons", etc. It's melodic, yet heavy, and it never really gets boring (for me at least). All instruments have some really neat parts here, especially DiBiase's occasional catchy bass fills, and Matheo's Spanish influenced acoustic guitar, as each movement alternates between crashing metal and mellow acoustic riffs. The heavy movements of this song have some unconventional time signatures, and the solemn moments are ecstasy for the ears. Adler limits the siren-like wailing, and you get to listen to melodic, emotional wailing instead :) .The song seems to deal with the Greek myth of the ivory gate of dreams, that is, everytime before you wake up, you can either enter the gate of horn or the ivory gate, the former lets you remember your dream, the latter makes you forget. You really have to listen to this song yourself, and judge it with your own standards, but as for me, this epic track easily gets . . . 5/5

Conclusion
Now that I've given you an overview of the album, your best bet would be to either download it, or to buy it. It's worth the $9.99 for the CD or the ten minutes or so that it takes to download, and I highly recommend this if you're into progressive rock or 80s (not really hair) heavy metal. Besides one weak track, the only other con of this album is horrible (but bearable) production quality. Pros consist of interesting melodies, heaviness, and an excellent closer. Overall, this album gets (5 + 4 + 5 + 3 + 5)/25 = 88%, or about 4.5/5 . . .

Well, this is my first review, hope everybody liked it, though it probably got a bit boring at times, and thanks for reading it . . .

Parallels/sonicspeed500/sonic2/wes/leslie/Reverse Perpendicu (4)
Pushing the Progressive Envelope, "No Exit" is one of progressive metal's finest moments....

November 8th 2005

damn . . . stupid quotes and apostrophes . . .

Med57
November 8th 2005

Fixed it. Good review. I might pick this up if I find it anywhere and it's cheap.

Dancin' Man
November 8th 2005

Hmmm... Not usually a fan of Iron Maiden but I might enjoy this. Good review.

masada
November 8th 2005

Dnd = Dungeons and Dragons, right?

November 8th 2005

thanks for fixing it, and yea, DnD = dungeons and dragons, and think blind guardian or iced earth for DnD lyrics . . .

EDIT: double posted . . .This Message Edited On 11.08.05

Lunarfall
March 30th 2007

Picked this up today. This was 3rd on my CDs to get list, but the major CD store in my area did not have and Buckethead CDs in stock at the moment, and they didn't have Opeth's Still Life (they had like 3 copies of Orchid, but no Blackwater Parks!). I'm really enjoying this so far and it is a great follow up to Awaken the Guardian. It's probably getting a 4.5 from me.

EDIT: Yeah. 4.5 it is. Mainly because Shades of Heavenly Death felt weaker compared to the others.This Message Edited On 03.30.07

meep17
May 27th 2007

Nice review, but I could never get into this band. The vocalist sounds so much like Geoff Tate that it erked me; I could never listen to a song of theirs without going "Wait, is this Queensryche?" I don't like bands that have a singer that sounds near exactly like a singer of another band. Maybe I'm weird?

TheStarclassicTreatment
August 1st 2007

ACOS>>>>>TIGOD
Still a great song though.

rattlehead42147
October 14th 2007

to me an 88% seems more like a 4. for having only 5 tracks and to be a 4.5 this couldn't have any track below a "4" rating on it.

but imo this album deserves a 5. good review too.

Lunarfall
November 28th 2007

88/100 is much close to 4.5 than 4, so I don't know where you're getting that from...

rattlehead42147
November 30th 2007

yeah youre right my bad. im not sure what i was thinking when i did that

Yazz_Flute
December 1st 2007

Thinking I should get this. I heard Redemption live with Dream Theater in August, and sicne both bands have the same vocalists (and i've heard they're similar anyway) I would probably enjoy this.

I have trouble believing "The Ivory Gate of Dreams" is better than Octavarium and A Chance of Seasons however. I have never heard it, but those two songs are about as perfect as music can get.

Digging: Anekdoten - Vemod

December 1st 2007

I'm not sure who told you that Fates Warning and Redemption are similar, because it's just not true. Yes, they have the same vocalist, but that is where the similarities end. Redemption play fast and heavy with fast solos... Fates Warning are much more restrained and generally go for a more moody atmosphere over heaviness or soloing. That being said, the most similar Fates Warning album to Redemption would be "Awaken the Guardian" which doesn't even have Ray in it... this is the closest one with Ray in it, but it's stretching things to find similarities.

Digging: Teramaze - Esoteric Symbolism

botb

I really want this.

Digging: Cult Leader - Nothing For Us Here

August 18th 2008

To say fates warning "gone under the radar" is an understatment. I could never understand why they really never took off, but to tell you the truth im glad they didnt.

Just the one epic song "the ivory gate of dreams" could survive on its own. I think better then anything done by queensryche. (yeah love rage for order cant stand operation mindcrime)

the song is broken up into 9 sections, each section is different, Each with its own melody and tempo. Ray's voice always dark and brooding but very angelic. the Song really shows his vocal range and miss-structure.

I have been listening to No Exit since late 88 early 89. I been listening to iron maiden since Live After death. 20 years later to this day I hear or see absolutly no similarities between the two bands, and thats because there "are" very little to no similarities.

Iron maiden - tough, neat, well orgainized very structured.
Fates warning - more angelic, melodic and mis tempo but works so well. hard to explain im not a musician.

the album was produced perfectly it sounds perfect everything was done right. Its one of my all time favorite albums. To this day, I just never get tired of listening to the ivory gate of dreams.

Absolute brilliance in my opion. I stopped following the band after perfect symety and parallels. I liked perfect symety just dont undersand why they went that direction. other then to say the early 90's left metal bands trying to survive in the new world of g-n-r and grunge.

August 18th 2008

My main problem with this album is the vocals. They're just piercingly high-pitched too often. Ray does a lot better on "Perfect Symmetry".

I think most the people that see a similarity are referring to their debut "Night on Brocken".
What I don't see is any similarity between GnR, Grunge, and "Perfect Symmetry". Perfect Symmetry is easily their most technically proficient album which obviously didn't come from GnR or grunge. "Parallels" was a response to the huge breakthrough that came with Queensryche's "Empire". You want to focus on similarities look at Parallels and Empire.

August 26th 2008

Willie - night on broken, Spectre within and Awaken the guardian with john Arch had similarities to bruce, sure.

but the review was for No Exit with Ray Alder I believe its more then fair to say their are little to no similarities between Ray and bruce.

I didnt compare fates warning to G-n-R.

But since you mentioned Queensryche, they would be the best example of a sold out band. I mean here is a band that went from the warning and Rage for Order to ....jet city women? what the hell was that??

Fates warning did the same thing with parallels and symetry yeah were more "technical" but were more radio orientated. Gone were the tall tales of mythology and lore.

August 26th 2008

Very true.
Again, I'd see Empire as a "streamlining" of their sound after the intense work of Mindcrime, but not a direct attempt at selling out. "Hear in the Now Frontier" with its blatant grunge leaning is a direct attempt at selling out.
Yes, gone were the tales of mythology but that's probably because gone was John Arch who was 50% of the main writing team. The big radio-oriented albums were "Parallels" and "Inside Out". I'd still say "Perfect Symmetry" is too complicated for the average radio listener or the average person who bought "Empire" for Silent Lucidity.

August 29th 2008

yeah you probably more correct about perfect symmetry.