Neuroticfish
Les Chansons Neurotiques

by pizzamachine USER (211 Reviews)
February 24th, 2011 | 18 replies

Release Date: 2002 | Tracklist

Review Summary: that's one small step for Neuroticfish, and one giant leap for futurepop kind.

Futurepop is meant to sound like this. Although an idiosyncratic comment considering how many albums and bands, genre-wise, are dreadfully same-sounding, this one does not fall to the same fate. Sure, it has the typical and prominent cold synthesizers, depressive lyrics, loud beats, etc., but Neuroticfish takes this formula and makes it interesting. Still, you might wonder how he did such a task. The answer is much simpler than presumed, for it involves one concept –fun. Through my futurepop travels I’ve heard all kinds of synthesizers all employed in various ways. However, In Les Chansons Neurotiques, Neuroticfish chose the best method of serving synthetic goodness. I would say “eat your heart out VNV Nation”, but VNV Nation is an incredibly consistent and solid act – apparently Neuroticfish is as well. Keep in mind that the band is the product of only one man, so everything seems much more impressive with that knowledge.

When I mentioned that the album is fun, I flirted with a loaded statement. Then again, this is still a futurepop album, and in albums of that genre, synthesizers reign supreme. Therefore, what generates the fun is the method in which synths are used, and boy are they used. The synths within are purely silly. Apparently not geared to promote either cheer or gloom, they bounce along playfully and carefree. I mean, why not? “Why the heck not” could sum up the entire album, actually, as Neuroticfish breaks out of the genre’s box and demonstrates substantive, measurable skill. Important, though, is that it’s not boring or even unique, yet it still stands tall. You would think futurepop’s synthesizers would promote a convivial atmosphere, but in reality they are often specifically adopted to augment darkness and depression. Not so with Les Chansons Neurotiques. He seems to assume that the lyrics and vocal style can carry mood sufficiently, and I tend to agree.

After explaining how Neuroticfish fractured the genre’s bothersome commonalities, I find it quite ironic that it still feeds the machine. It’s still your typical futurepop music, there is no way to avoid the fact, although he does dodge around it. With masses of bewildering synthesizers and initiative, the music is entertaining at worst, and truly stands out at best. It may never grasp the heights of Solitary Experiments’ Mind Over Matter, but it is doubtful that any futurepop album will. What it does right, though, is showcase addictive, melodic synth lines, and that’s good enough.

Jeremy Soule Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion SoundtrackRa Critical Mass
Gemini Syndrome LuxSirenia Perils of the Deep Blue
Rainbow (KR) Rainbow Syndrome Part. 2Part Myth Part Legend Almagest Codex

:O

February 24th 2011

See? I told you you'd like what I would review next ;)

February 24th 2011

You HAVE to listen to the album after this, Gelb. It's just as good.

Great review as always kintups, I am glad you feel that this is a defining futurepop album as well.

Btw, have I ever told you that I love you?

February 24th 2011

Nope, you've never said that but I figured you might!

Irving

February 24th 2011

Yeah! You're right Ving, now I just need a TV show to go with my exploring alien worlds.

February 24th 2011

I feel like you're settling into your own "Pizza-niche" kintups - you occupy the world of uncharted territories; of unknown music and unexplored palettes. And that gives you artistic license to do whatever you want with it ;) [2]

His words are pertier than mine.

Digging: We Were Promised Jetpacks - Unravelling

MalleusMaleficarum

just picked this up

February 24th 2011

Futurepop isn't everyone's cup of tea so I hope you enjoy.

Best cup of tea EVARRRRRRRR

You playing MvC Bloc?

MalleusMaleficarum
February 24th 2011

oh great, bloc likes this.

You playing MvC Bloc?

No, but there was a list a few days ago that brought back memories of MvC 2 :D

Acanthus
February 24th 2011

I just got Gelb the other day, it's also amazing. Will more than likely end up getting this as well as the first album as well.

Digging: The Knife - Deep Cuts

ButcheredChildren
February 24th 2011

I completely forgot about this group, guess I have some homework tonight

Tyrael

20893 Comments

Pizza and futurepop is a surefire combo!

February 25th 2011

With 3 just coming out and you having Shuma-Gorath as your avatar I just assumed. @Bloc

February 25th 2011

'Tis a safe asumption : )