Night Birds
Midnight Movies

by Mr. Lean Mug USER (112 Reviews)
February 24th, 2011 | 15 replies | 7,570 views

Review Summary: Cowabunga, motherfucker.

The Ergs! are some prolific bastards. The amount of time they devote to their many, many, many musical projects almost makes me wonder how any of them hold down a day job. Night Birds are one such post-Ergs! group. Since their inception, they’ve recorded a demo, an EP/single, a self-titled EP, and a tape featuring the un-mastered recordings of their latest release, Midnight Movies. With this “official” release of their third EP, the Night Birds step slightly away from their surf influences to create a wonderful fusion of both old and new resulting in one of the most fresh sounds heard in any scene of punk music today.

The four tracks featured on Midnight Movies are all loosely based around the cinematic joys the big screen offers. Night Birds cover topics such as wanting to see a “celluloid acid trip” and literally being sucked into both a movie and/or TV screen. The guitar work, as with past releases, steals the show. The catchy riffs blend perfectly with the shout-a-long lyrics and vocals. Night Birds haven’t lost their tough guy image either. “Bad Biology” and “Triple Feature,” in particular, both have the sneering, go fuck yourself attitude reminiscent of punk bands of old. Despite this, the Birds forge a sonic presence that is easily one of the most unique and clever in modern punk.

Midnight Movies is Night Birds’ best release yet. It holds up even better than the rest of the band's discography in the world post-Ergs!. It’s a fast and extremely fun ride through the thematic history of punk rock, and it will leave one VERY hungry for this band to finally release a full-length album. Everything just comes together so well on this EP that it’s sure to be one of 2011’s best, even if it technically was released on cassette late last year. However you want to spin that, just be sure to spin this. If you’re a fan of punk music and miss out on this spectacularly talented band, you are doing yourself a great disservice.

Freddie Gibbs and The World's Freshest The Tonite ShowDe La Soul Smell The DA.I.S.Y.
Fucked Up Year of the DragonRome Fortune Beautiful Pimp II
Maxo Kream QuiccstrikesSelf Defense Family Try Me

February 24th 2011

yeah so basically this is my fave punk-related release of the year so far behind old man markley

get on it

Digging: Botany Boyz - Forever Botany

Tyrael

20829 Comments

Nice review dude.

thankz ye

iFghtffyrdmns
February 24th 2011

"rest of the bands discography in the world"
I believe bands should be band's.

Other than that, very nice read. I saw the Ergs with BtMI! a couple years back and always meant to get into them cause they seemed so fun but failed to ever do so

February 24th 2011

you are correct sir, editzorzing

ConsiderPhlebas
February 24th 2011

Great review. Will listen to this.

soooooooo

anyone else?

MalleusMaleficarum

fun stuff

bungy
February 24th 2011

I have been playing this over and over and over

February 24th 2011

i saw them the other day with government warning and ive been listening to this non-stop ever since too

they need to hurry up and make a goddamn LP

March 2nd 2011

bump for hugely awesome band justice

Blackbelt54
May 5th 2012

Bumping a very old thread because these guys are quickly becoming one of my favorite new punk bands

May 5th 2012

they're pretty much my favorite active band, barring at the drive-in who are only semi-active-ish

Blackbelt54
May 5th 2012

Nice review btw. But seriously like I think these guys do the whole surf punk thing as good or better than Agent Orange did back in the day

MalleusMaleficarum
November 10th 2012

BAD
BAD
BAD BIOLOGY