Rush
A Show of Hands

good

by sonictheplumber STAFF USER (107 Reviews)
February 16th, 2011 | 37 replies | 8,174 views

Release Date: 1989 | Tracklist

Even the most die-hard Rush fans will say that they hate the period from around the mid 1980's to the end of that decade. While some fans (me and KILL and jethro42 and 420yeah) adore the period and appreciate that a band can change its sound without "selling out" as they say, the synths were, at times, a bit overdone during this period, although most Rush fans will tell you that there were definitely some great songs made. Like every era of Rush's career, they usually end things with a live album. The synth era was no different, with their third live release, 1989's A Show of Hands.

First things first - the video version of this release is infinitely better, due to the fact that we get to see late 80's renditions of Rush classics like "In The Mood" and "Tom Sawyer". The actual album itself is almost 100% synth-era material, and this comes as a bit of the disappointment. The fact is this, though: synths or no, Rush is great. The bad thing is, some of the songs, like "Manhattan Project" and "Mission", don't exactly conjure up the type of energy that is needed for a live album, resulting in an, at-times, slightly dull sound, as these songs, while good, are indeed, to many audience members, simply "*** I gotta sit through so I can hear 'Working Man'".

Yet the despite the slightly dulled atmosphere, there are some great parts. The version of "Closer to the Heart" on this album conjures up that "only on a live album" feeling, where the crowd is just seemingly totally into it. Another great one is opener "The Big Money", a fast and upbeat tune which is a perfect way to start off the set.

There are some things that go without saying. Rush, as a band, are amazing musically, and Geddy's voice is in great shape - gone are the squeals and shrieks that could be heard on previous albums, yet his voice still has energy, and as usual, the Canadian boys are still having fun.

It's hard to really dislike this album, considering it's just a greatest hits collection of sorts of the period from 1982-ish to 1988. However, there is a bit of a lack of energy on this one, and some of the songs are just plain better in the studio ("Time Stand Still", "Subdivisions") or even possibly better live now. A live Rush experience is truly that; an experience. So A Show of Hands is only recommended for Rush die-hards only. The video release is immensely better.

Sieges Even Life CycleKorpiklaani Ukon Wacka
Thergothon Stream From The HeavensThe Obsessed Lunar Womb
Saint Vitus Mournful CriesKate Bush The Kick Inside

iFghtffyrdmns
February 16th 2011

"The synth era was no different, with their third live release, 1989's A Show of Hands."

that sentence feels a bit awkward to me, I'm debating if it's even a sentence or not? Maybe you could try to rework it a bit. Other than that, solid review. Probably won't check this out but have a pos anyways

pos omg

Edwin
February 16th 2011

The video release of this is great. Haven't heard the album though. Pos.

February 16th 2011

awesome man i got this dvd i only listen to it when im in the mood but its a good album to listen to when i get a lil bored of prog wank fuck

big money is seriously awesome live and the swinging they do with their guitars is hilarious

big money is so cash

February 16th 2011

mystic rhythms is so perfect

rush rules

lml

m/

Greggers

RUSH

February 16th 2011

its not how fast you can go

Edwin
February 16th 2011

The force goes into the floww.

Jethro42

12036 Comments

Good review dude. I agree with most of your points and your rating and all annnd you have my approval for mentioning my name into it.

BigHans

MYSTIC RHYTHMMMSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS

Nagrarok

sonic reviews rush = instapos

I've been meaning to check out this era (or the rest of their discog in general), will get to it eventually.

February 16th 2011

dude you and johnny have got to cover big money

couldwinarabbit

I rated rush albums.

Waior

i agree

mystic rhythms is so great

XulOnerom

Seeing them live on June

demigod!
February 16th 2011

i've seen them twice. you're in for a treat

Greggers
February 16th 2011

Seeing them live in May, gonna be sweeeeeeeeeeet.