Suicide Silence
The Cleansing

2.0
poor

by James Grant USER (14 Reviews)
February 14th, 2011 | 27 replies | 5,401 views

Release Date: 2007 | Tracklist

Review Summary: *YAWN*, pass the coffee.

Most metalheads have heard of this genre that 'SS' and many other bands are a part of, 'Deathcore'. Most are also aware of how much this genre is scrutinised for its lack of originality and lack of lyrical depth. Now, I find this stereotype to be quite judgemental and false at times, however most of the time these presumptions are correct when describing 'Deathcore'....and 'Suicide Silence' don't do much to separate themselves from this negative stereotype with 'The Cleansing'. There are a couple of decent tracks to be found on this LP, although most of it is just trite nonsense.

'Deathcore' is a genre which has been around in the metal scene for around about 7 years now, and the main talking point of this genre is the generic breakdowns used within most songs. I'll admit, in moderation, that these breakdowns can be reasonably entertaining and well-crafted if used in the right places, however 'SS' just force the living hell out of them in 'The Cleansing'. Its not just the breakdowns that are despicable in this LP....so are the lyrics.

The lyrics used throughout 'The Cleansing' are childish to say the least. Basically, most of the songs lyrics contain the vocalist (Mitch Lucker) screaming about how much he hates god and how religious people should be punished. A perfect example of this is present of the track 'The Price of Beauty', when Lucker screams: "Can't stand to hear you scream god, because he's not ***ing here bitch." These laughable and ridiculous lyricisms set the tone for the rest of 'The Cleansing'.

The only redeeming factor of this LP, and of 'SS', is the vocalist Mitch Lucker. Sure his lyrics don't count for much, but his vocal performance on this album slays and covers the lyrical flaws to some extent. Lucker is that good on this record, that I could actually identify him if I didn't know 'SS' were playing, something which can't be said for most 'Deathcore' singers. If only Lucker's vocals could cover every flaw in this album, I may have actually enjoyed this album, unfortunately the flaws prove too much to cover.

In conclusion, 'The Cleansing' is just another album for 'Deathcore' fans to indulge in, however for most of us, its just more of the same stereotypical mistakes that allude 'Deathcore' still to this day. The album would've been rated lower if it weren't for Lucker's vocals and the exception of a couple of tracks, sad isn't it? So, if you want an album you can stick on and are willing to ignore trite breakdowns and terrible lyrics, you might find some enjoyment in this album, although there wasn't much enjoyment in it for me.

Recommended Tracks:

'Destruction of a Statue'
'Unanswered'

The Dillinger Escape Plan Ire WorksCancer Bats Dead Set On Living
2.9
good
  • BlastRiffsBeatTechno (3)
    After a re-listening of Suicide Silence's debut, I have now had a good change of heart....

Jody78 (4)
    This is possibly one of the best deathcore albums out there due to the fact it was recorde...

DarkZX (3)
    This album can get rather generic at times, but it is worth checking out....

boristhebladexx (3)
    Heavy as balls, Suicide Silence's debut CD The Cleansing is 45 minutes of crushing death m...

• Brandon Burton (3)
    "The Cleansing" is Suicide Silence's major label debut that will appeal to some. Not so mu...

First review, be leniant? :P

Digging: Opeth - Pale Communion

Deathcore sucks.

DinoX
February 14th 2011

I used to like this a lot back in the day I even have a Suicide Silence shirt. What the fuck was I thinking? Shirt dosen't even match my wardrobe.

February 14th 2011

Try not to use abbreviations at all on your next review (but you can still fix it).

Deathcore sucks.

Guess you never heard The Price of Existence by All Shall Perish.

Digging: Equilibrium - Erdentempel

February 14th 2011

Nope and I'm gonna avoid it from what I've heard from deathcore bands whether they've been popular or underground and yes I did look into the genre its self when I was first getting into metal and it was awful.

February 14th 2011

Most deathcore sucks, but not all of it. The Price of Existence is fucking great.

February 14th 2011

this is like my least favorite album ever, it's not the worst but I think I hate it the most.

February 14th 2011

Hawks I hate to say it but I'm gonna avoid it.

February 14th 2011

Go right ahead. Doesn't make a difference to me.

Damn, ned'd already :/

huskerdoo

who will they cleanse

February 14th 2011

I think it's "No Pity for a Coward" that my friends play to try to look badass. ugh

DinoX

You know they are

February 14th 2011

you're one of them aren't you

WashboardSuds
February 14th 2011

I don't think you used the word "scrutinize" right, might be wrong though
'Deathcore' is a genre which has been around in the metal scene for around about 7 years now, and the main talking point of this genre is the generic breakdowns used within most songs. 'Breakdowns' are parts in a song when the tempo is slowed to apparently enhance the 'brutal' nature of the track, something which 'SS' do rather too much if you ask me.

this isn't necessary really, we aren't reading 'Deathcore 101'.
for the most part the review reads average, and felt a wee bit ranty. plus your use of vocabulary feels a bit awkward, like your were fishing for synonyms for certain words to make it read facier. otherwise your attention to detail isn't bad. Welcome to sputnik

Digging: Acid Bath - When the Kite String Pops

NocteDominum
February 14th 2011

Never got into Suicide Silence, heard a couple of songs and thought they were utterly disgraceful.

Crymsonblaze
February 15th 2011

Dunno why this is negged. It's pretty good. Have a pos.

AbyssalCreation

2041 Comments

Gonna have to spin this soon for some nostalgia.

February 15th 2011

Thanks for the pos whoever did, its bound to have negs as a first, I'll re-edit it at some point.