Ana Kefr
The Burial Tree (II)

by The Writer Ov This Review USER (49 Reviews)
February 13th, 2011 | 49 replies | 17,964 views

Review Summary: A chariot ride to hell and back.

Ana Kefr is a progressive metal outfit from Riverside, California. With The Burial Tree the band has crafted what can only be described as unpredictable. The band is always one step ahead of the listener and thinking outside the box. They blend several subgenres together and manage to create a delicious concoction of bludgeoning, yet beautiful and unique metal. In the next hour you will have a wide variety of sounds wash over you, everything from clarinet sections, mind numbing melodies, and subtle electronics. All instruments are used to their full ability and nothing is left in silence within The Burial Tree.

The vocal styles on The Burial Tree vary, they range from majestic female vocals to gutturals and everything in between. There are blastbeats and pinch harmonics and many other elements that may be found in a typically metal album but in many ways Ana Kefr is truly bringing something new to the table. Six tracks on the album run well over five minutes. Each of these songs seems to take the listener on a journey, and like all journeys there is a climax or "payoff" so to speak. All of the unusual elements blended into the music come and go in a seamless manner. The album clocks in at just over an hour, for many bands this playtime would be far too long to hold the listeners attention, fortunately for Ana Kefr this is not the case. They hold your attention up until the final notes of the epic closer "The Collector", and if they truly wanted to continue they would have you in the palm of their hand for another hour.

Ana Kefr is sure to have the unseasoned listeners scratching their heads in shear disbelief, but upon multiple listens it is obvious that the band has done something great with this release. The Burial Tree manages to capture some amazing songwriting in the midst of all the chaos that is spread like wildfire throughout the album. "Parasites" is nothing short of a classic as well as many other songs featured on The Burial Tree, and while this tracks do work well on their own the album should be listened to as a whole. The Burial Tree plays more like a Dario Argento film than it does an album, it features a beautiful sound but maintains the menacing atmosphere and leaves you in suspense and confusion throughout.

Overall this album is very unique and should be heard by all metal fans at least once. Ana Kefr push the boundaries of metal and in doing so manage to create one hell of an epic and heavy album filled with twists and turns that will prove to challenge even the most seasoned listeners. The band creates an atmosphere that makes many emotions run through those who dare to listen. At times you may be wondering where Ana Kefr is going to take you next but only time will tell. The Burial Tree is nothing short of essential.

Blaspherian Infernal Warriors Of DeathHaeresiarchs Of Dis Denuntiatus Cinis
Autaric Demo 2009Candle Serenade Nosferatu's Passion
Scaremaker What Evil Have They Summoned...Fearer Descent
Benjamino Jackanory (4.5)
A dark, twisted and supremely intelligent journey into the circus of horrors. Not that one....

February 13th 2011

I received a promo from the band (hence why it is so early). I also posted the review on my blog but figured many of you here would like this. Let me know of any mistakes there may be.

Irving
February 13th 2011

You got me interested. Can you name me a similar sounding band? (for my reference)

Also, great review - pos.

Digging: Caleb McAlpine - All Things New

cvlts
February 13th 2011

combustion review. been a minute...

Digging: Pedro the Lion - It's Hard To Find A Friend

February 13th 2011

Maybe a little similar to Solefald's debut (minus the batshit vocals). That is honestly the closest
thing I can come up with at the moment. The vocals may turn of some people but the music here is
phenomenal.

EDIT: Yeah I gotta get back in the groove of doing sputnik reviews.

Irving
February 13th 2011

Right on. Thanks man. I'll see if I can't check this out.

TheSpirit
February 13th 2011

nice to see you reviewing things again

Digging: Sexdrome - Grown Younger

scissorlocked

I like the cover

the band seems interesting, and I like Solefald,I'll try this

good review,pos

Digging: Fantastic Mr Fox - Sketches

February 13th 2011

Thanks man. Like I said though don't expect something exactly like Solefald going into this, they are
similar in their experimentation the sound is fairly different.

DDconjoined
February 13th 2011

whens this released?? sounds great

It's released May 3rd.

dbl

February 15th 2011

Don't mean to plug my own shit but, yeah..

Homeslice
March 14th 2011

I heard about this album from my friend who is friends with Rhiis. He got a promo from them and did a review for this album on another site. Really good album, although I have to give it a number of listens to come with a grade, but definitely an upgrade from their 1st.

March 29th 2011

Holy fuck dont know how i missed this. good review, listening tot track on youtube.

Homeslice
April 16th 2011

Three more weeks until release!

DDconjoined
May 1st 2011

2 more days.. surprised no leakage!! aoty potential here!!

May 3rd 2011

Out today. Nobodies heard this yet?

CrazyDrummer4562
May 6th 2011

It fucking blows my mind that they can traverse so many genres of metal simultaneously, sort of like Kvelertak does.

CrazyDrummer4562
May 6th 2011

Also, great review, only gripe is that in P3, it should be sheer rather than shear.

Baphomet
May 8th 2011

your review made me feel like I need this.

badly