Crowbar
Sever The Wicked Hand

by Lambda USER (68 Reviews)
February 7th, 2011 | 25 replies

Review Summary: Solid, if at times overly repetitive, Crowbar's latest should please fans of their older material.

Six years have passed since the last release from American sludge metal pioneers Crowbar. The group have created some landmark records in their time, but the big question is: does their latest, "Sever the Wicked Hand," live up to its predecessors? The answer to that would be yes and no.

Instrumentally the band, when given a chance to flaunt their skills, are actually quite good. "I Only Deal In Truth" features an impressive drumbeat three-quarters of the way through, along with a masterfully executed guitar harmony, and the beginning of "Cleanse Me, Heal Me" has a cool syncopated beat behind a murky, hebetudinous melody, the type of which is typical for this album. There is no shortage of good riffs on this record, with the title track and closer "Symbiosis" being a couple of prime examples. The bass stays in the background for most of the album, sticking to the root notes, and the production is low and muddy, which works for this style of music.

The problem with "Sever the Wicked Hand" is that it can be very dull to listen to at points. All of the songs sound relatively similar, with mid-tempo drumming, downtuned guitar riffs, and yelling vocals. I understand that repetition is a sludge metal standard, but many parts of the record are just overly so. The boring chugging breakdown on "The Cemetery Angels" is one of the most drastic examples of this, taking up the last minute and forty seconds of the song for no good reason and long overstaying its welcome. It's sections like these that make the record a chore to listen to in full.

"Sever the Wicked Hand" should please fans of Crowbar's older material; on it, they don't do anything drastically different from what they have before. The production has improved, but the songwriting is pretty much the same as it has always been. In short, Crowbar isn't going to win any new fans with "Sever the Wicked Hand," but they will most definitely appease the old ones.

Dog Fashion Disco Sweet NothingsCasualties of Cool Casualties of Cool
fresh beatZ The MisunderstoodAvenged Sevenfold Hail to the King
Buckethead Pike 13Buckethead In Search Of The - Volume 10: 'F'
Matthijs van der Lee (3.5)
Barely surprising, somewhat repetitive, but ultimately: another worthy Crowbar release....

Voivod
February 7th 2011

good review, have a pos.

They say that the band comes out to the light on this record.

Digging: Aspherium - The Fall of Therenia

accompliceofmydeath
February 7th 2011

Dang, was hoping this would be better

Digging: Snapcase - Progression Through Unlearning

February 7th 2011

It's by no means bad, but it's too incredible either. Some if the riffs are great though.

And thanks for the pos!

Metalstyles
February 7th 2011

Good review, need to look into this one.

Hep Kat
February 7th 2011

i just got this last night but i didnt listen to it yet. ill change that later

Digging: Burning Kitchen - Many Wonder About the Meaning of Life

greg84
February 7th 2011

Good album. It just doesn't quite live up to Downtrodden and some of their previous efforts in my opinion.

Digging: Clipping - CLPPNG

February 7th 2011

pretty stoked to hear this, I would assume it's more of the same but that's cool.

their first few records are pretty epic

Digging: Nero Di Marte - Derivae

February 7th 2011

oops double post (is there something going on with this review? I keep getting database errors when I try to click on it from the main page or when I submitted that comment)

February 7th 2011

Me too, I don't get it either.

eternium
February 7th 2011

Didn't realize this was out yet.

Will get.

SteelErectedb4you8er
February 7th 2011

I am listening to the stream right now. I can see what you are saying in this review, I get where you are coming from. it isn't groundbreaking or anything, but you can't deny that Kirk Windstein knows how to write a riff. The "Cemetery Angels" breakdown, as it isn't the most original thing, as a witness of it live, it is pretty crushing. The "Liquid Sky and Cold Black Earth" riff gave me the hee-bee-jee-beez.

February 8th 2011

Yeah, he can write a riff (in fact I mentioned that in the review and comments). Some of the riffs on here are great, I just wish that there was some more variety in the songs.

greg84
February 8th 2011

The lack of variety irks me too. That's why their previous album is so much better. Pos'd.

omnipanzer
February 8th 2011

"Didn't realize this was out yet.

Will get. "

Ditto

"The bass stays in the background for most of the album"

That doesn't sound good, the down tuned Bass is what I love about Crowbar =^/

eternium
February 10th 2011

Band has certainly stayed true to their sound over the years.

Deathcar
February 16th 2011

This is awesome, not quite on a par with OFR, but might be my second favourite of theirs.

February 16th 2011

ugh, still need to get this. so much new music lately...

Metalstyles
February 16th 2011

You'll like this a lot Inveigh, trust me, it's got a really strong old school feel to it.

omnipanzer
February 16th 2011

Fully agree with these reviews. It's almost as good as odd Fellows (my favorite) but nothing new.