Pagan's Mind
Enigmatic: Calling

by pizzamachine USER (211 Reviews)
February 5th, 2011 | 11 replies | 6,018 views

Release Date: 2005 | Tracklist

Review Summary: one fantastic song does not a superb album make.

My imaginings of the perfect metal song often conjure up sounds similar to Pagan’s Mind’s opening track, ‘The Celestine Prophecy’. Now, I am not one to outright praise solitary tracks, but this is a special case. The track is brilliantly put together, with multiple verses, bridges, solos, etc. It is progressively thrilling as every part in the story unfolds more boldly, more epically than before. Dynamics come into play at all times, setting the scenes, remembering past events, and foreshadowing future events. To top it all off, the band members are wizards at playing their instruments, and have both the technical skills and impressive restraint to remain in endless sync. Yet let’s not forget those grand melodies and that awesome chorus! In short, ‘The Celestine Prophecy’ embodies everything superb about melodic metal (or in this case, progressive power metal), and for that reason, the rest of the album fails to meet expectations.

Although not their intent, Pagan’s Mind set themselves up for failure by placing their best song first. Everything fit together seamlessly for the first song, but such a feat was never duplicated. They definitely tried to recover, but everything else just seems lackluster in comparison. The progressive elements, although well-done, prove tiresome with time. Considering the album’s superb songwriting, the band slowly proved less restraint with their precocious self-worship, and instead became progressively obnoxious. Consequently, songs just blend and fade into one long, monotonous track; suddenly, the album loses its memorability.

After all is said and done, Enigmatic: Calling is a great progressive power metal album. Although overly long and ambitious (it’s also a concept album, but the concept is so ridiculous that it wasn’t worth mentioning) the cheese is served tastily through technical, yet restrained instrumentation. However, they are certainly not restrained in distortion, crushing guitars permeate every song. Those who enjoy heavy, progressive, melodic, power metal, should find something enjoyable here. Others who can’t stomach this sort of thing should be given a bag for their travels, and their vomit.

Jeremy Soule Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion SoundtrackRa Critical Mass
Gemini Syndrome LuxSirenia Perils of the Deep Blue
Rainbow (KR) Rainbow Syndrome Part. 2Part Myth Part Legend Almagest Codex

February 5th 2011

Another review?! Shoot me.

Tyrael

20394 Comments

Cool stuff pizza.

Digging: Lantlos - Melting Sun

February 5th 2011

Whoah Ty, super speedy as always! Thanks btw.

FatChickIrl
February 5th 2011

i used to listen to this band but then I deleted it idk, will check it out again

Irving
February 5th 2011

Great review. Irving like. Irving pos.

Sputnik's having a slow week.

Digging: Caleb McAlpine - All Things New

will check it out again

Definitely worth a second go.

Sputnik's having a slow week.

Ain't that the truth!

scissorlocked
February 5th 2011

wow,surprised to see someone reviewing this

good work pizza,the album is generally enjoyable

Digging: Fantastic Mr Fox - Sketches

Xenophanes
February 5th 2011

That power metal tag is a bit off-putting, but great review, Pizza!

Digging: Saintseneca - Dark Arc

Irving

Ain't that the truth!

I've got a review on ice, and am just waiting for my Puerta de Alcala review to get bumped off the front page before moving it up. Also, I know Sowing's working on something too.

And I hate unexplained negs.

Disconnected

Awesome summary.

TriangularDuck
February 11th 2011

Back in the day, The Celestine Prophecy and Taken were my fucking jams, I could never get into any of the other tracks here though. I doubt I could take any of this shit now, I dropped most prog like a bad habit.