Architects
The Here and Now

by EliteCombine USER (5 Reviews)
January 30th, 2011 | 17 replies | 3,490 views

Review Summary: I'm starting suspect that change should be expected with Architects

Its safe to say that change is part of Architects sound, from the tech heavy sound of 2006 debut release Nightmares to the more metalcore-centric sound of 2009 Hollow Crown, none of their album have sounded the same.

With their 2011 release The Here and Now, the change isn't as sonically drastic from Nightmares to their 2007 release Ruin, but can be seen as a more refined version of their breakout release Hollow Crown.

But, without a doubt the biggest departure Architects have taken in this release, in the increase in clean vocals, while Hollow Crown saw a large increase in the volume of singing, its safe to say that at least half this album is made up of clean singing from vocalist Sam Carter. Be it in one of the two ballads on the disc or singing his heart out along side blistering instrumentation, Sam Carter's new found confidence in his singing abilities can be found throughout the album. This, combined with a more hardcore influenced scream, a gritty singing style occasionally employed, and an increased use in gang vocals results in the best vocal performances of Architects career.

Instrumentally, this band is in its A game, while as mentioned not as flashy as their earlier releases, is quite impressive, from the frenzied riffing of' The Blues' , the sychronized instrumentation of the opener 'Day In, Day Out' and the ambience found in 'Red Eyes' they have shown you done have to reach Between the Buried and Me level technicality to show you can play your instruments well.

Also, while this album features more conventional song structures than to be expected, their is a refreshing lack of breakdowns on this record, with this band able to be heavy when they want to be without relying on breakdowns as a crutch.

With an increse in clean vocals, not as technical instrumentation and more conventional song structures, it would seem that Architects have neutered their sound that they have successfully employed in the past. While all of this may put them more in line with bands such as Alexisonfire rather than Botch, this doesn't mean that they have all off a sudden become a completely different band. Their past as a chaotic, heavy metalcore band can still be found throughout the album for it is in tracks such as 'Delete, Rewind' and 'Stay Young Forever' (the latter featuring an excellent guest performace from Comeback Kid's Andrew Neufield) that manage to balance out every ballad and extended clean vocal section found throughout.

The best way to describe this release would be that the changes interpersed throughout the album, with their heavy sound still being the backbone on this album, not the other way round, despite what others would say.

With their fourth release, Architects have shown that they are not content to be pigeon-holed as a metalcore band, but are willing to redefine their sound to try to escape this predetermination of what band they should be, and with this as a stepping, their next album should truly be something special. Despite all the change found on 'The Here and Now', the main fact is that Architects still managed to create a great album, just not the one people were expecting.

2.8
good

botb
January 30th 2011

this just isnt their own sound. this sound has been done so much in the past

Digging: Cult Leader - Nothing For Us Here

January 30th 2011

Yeah I know, but hopefully they will get there eventually, they are trying, so I'll give them credit for that.
And this review seems a lot shorter now that I've posted it...

Strider
January 30th 2011

Well this is the best review on the album for now.

eternium
January 30th 2011

I've even seen this band live yet I've never listened to them much. I might get this sometime just because it's 2011.

Digging: Thou - Heathen

ebay
January 30th 2011

The review is ok, but I don't understand certain parts of it. To me, they are completely content now to go along with the tide of the generic metalcore genre. You say they "experiment" on this album, but I see their previous releases as far more cutting edge. Also, I completely disagree with your argument about the structure of their songs. In the past, it was a rarity for them to have a song that followed a structured pattern, but now many of their songs follow a verse-chorus-verse-chorus formula.

chesse13
January 30th 2011

still not sure if its worth listening to

NorwichScene
January 30th 2011

It's def worth listening to. It's the only thing I've listened to all week..

I just dont like 'stay young forever'

InFiction
January 30th 2011

Great review man. Agreed that the album is better than everyone says.
Pos'd.

botb
January 30th 2011

get their first three eternium. avoid this like the plague.

cvlts

it's not THAT bad

Digging: Pedro the Lion - It's Hard To Find A Friend

January 30th 2011

Now that I'm fully awake, I think I need to edit this a bit, I wrote this at about 3 in the morning in 10 mins...

Opps, double post

January 30th 2011

review is alright, not very convincing though. After listening to this album like twice i'm pretty disappointed. Obviously they're trying to move into a more accessible territory but its is doing damage to this bands reputation and dividing the fan base. It is good for bands to change between albums but not this drastically, especially after the greatness they achieved on hollow crown. Truly disappointing.

Digging: Lusine - A Certain Distance

January 30th 2011

disappointed. Obviously they're trying to move into a more accessible territory but its doing damage
disappointing.

February 1st 2011

idk why the fuck my comment was posted three times

WhiteTieBlackJacket
March 4th 2011

Its hard to describe this record. It seems sonically bigger and more fleshed out than their previous work, but not as heavy or energetic. I don't know. It kind of seems like they lost their anger or something.