Joyce Manor
Joyce Manor

by Dante Alighieri USER (85 Reviews)
January 24th, 2011 | 716 replies

Review Summary: Messy and focused. Dissonant and catchy. Just what we needed to hear.

What separates California band Joyce Manor from the rest of your basic cookie cutter pop-punk bands is the abrasive quality of their music. Typical standards of pop-punk include polished cleans, clear production and more-than-user-friendly guitar riffs; Joyce Manor do none of these. Their debut self-titled full length is near nineteen minute ride through dissonant, messy and unfriendly chaotic riffs joined together by a trembling, exacerbated vocalist that, when put together, crafts one of the more interesting releases in recent memory. Although stretching the boundaries on what counts as pop-punk, Joyce Manor somehow makes all of this work in their ability to somehow make these off-timed riffs one that can’t helped but make the listener nod your head to in unison. From the rough and tumble opening riff of ‘Derailed’, where the melody is so loosely kept together that it threatens to lose all cohesion in the song, to the Gatsby’s American Dream-esque track ‘Constant Headache’, Joyce Manor keep hinting at becoming an unfocused mess yet somehow they manage to keep composure all throughout the short life of the album.

Joyce Manor is over before you even know it, with the shortest track barely clocking at over a minute in length, and most tracks averaging around the minute thirty markers. This works to Joyce Manor’s advantage insofar that it keeps the listener attentive and focused throughout the album. Because it might be somewhat of a chore to fully to listen because of the oddly abrasive nature of Joyce Manor, it is best to let each song resonate with the listener before simply diving into the album. But Joyce Manor, when fully realized, is a treat of an album from a very young band that shows very real potential. No so much a breath of fresh air as it is a reimagining to a genre that is easy to think that all the steps have been realized.

Misery Signals Absent LightAll Pigs Must Die Nothing Violates This Nature
Loma Prieta I.V.Expire Pendulum Swings
Aldebaran Embracing the Lightless DepthsTragedy Darker Days Ahead

that was quick

Athom
January 24th 2011

was introduced to these guys last month when they opened for Andrew Jackson Jihad and Royal Monsters. They put on a great show.

Digging: Inigo Kennedy - Vaudeville

January 24th 2011

these guys seem like they would be able to put on a good show. was in between a 3.5 or 4 on this.

Enotron
January 24th 2011

everybody reviews everything i want to review i htae being a contributor i quit!

SeaAnemone

20304 Comments

it only gets worse eno

Digging: Holy Sons - Lost Decade II

January 24th 2011

yo so who neg'd and/or is it really that bad

Enotron
January 24th 2011

i'll get back into this reviewing thing

good review btw sure i''ll like this

pmmets07
January 24th 2011

album is short, review is shorter.

kinda vague, although i agree with most of your points. love the album.

Hep Kat
January 25th 2011

album is good. love me some "constant headache"

January 25th 2011

lol totally confused one of the songs. yeah really enjoy listening to this

January 25th 2011

edit: retracting my comment because I thought this was Constant Headache, not the new record.

Nice review though, I'm waiting on this CD in the mail. Sounds like I'm going to like it based on this.
(pos'd)

January 25th 2011

guys seriously check this out

DeadbeatDankity
January 25th 2011

I saw them with Algernon Cadwallader earlier this month and they played the best set of the night, so I shall definitely plan on checking this out.

Slum
February 8th 2011

Sounds good, dude. Will check it out asap. Good review btw, pos

lancebramsay
February 10th 2011

pos'd

Me likes this

But is this really an LP? Really?

February 19th 2011

just got this in the mail today (finally). it's so damn good, these guys are awesome.

MalleusMaleficarum
April 22nd 2011

Love this album.

balcaen
April 22nd 2011

dude, actually? wouldn't have expected that line-up, but it would've been totally sweet. this LP was unexpectedly good. i never expect anything from punk.

BodhisattvaWhoHears
May 18th 2011

Dude I really want another album.

June 13th 2011

still so fucking awesome.
probably 2nd or 3rd favorite of 2011.

seeing them on sunday with btmi. fuckyes.