Between the Buried and Me
Colors

by TheEnigmaPrognosis USER (5 Reviews)
January 23rd, 2011 | 100 replies

Release Date: 2007 | Tracklist

Review Summary: It's music, that's what it is. Music at it's finest.

Something happened when I first listened to Colors by Between the Buried and Me. A surreal sensation.. a musical revelation. The most inexplicable thing I have heard in years. When the 64 minute charge of human-detestion ended, when the last held key on the piano was silenced, I felt something so damn powerful occuring within me. I had an urge to celebrate, and so I did (the only way I knew how), and I clicked the repeat button . . .

Foam Born A) The Backtrack, B) The Decade of Statues (Colour: Orange)
Informal Gluttony (Colour: Green)
Sun of Nothing (Colour: Yellow)
Ants of the Sky (Colour: Red)
Prequel to the Sequel (Colour: Aqua)
Viridian (Colour: Blue)
White Walls (Colour: Purple)

Between the Buried and Me HAS created a masterpiece. Not only is this the best album I have heard in ages, but it's from a band I thought I had seen all of. Selkies: The Endless Obsession was my first experience with the band, and even that song on it's own is amazingly impressive. I truly considered that song being my favourite song of all-time, but now that I've heard Colors, I am absolutely certain that this 64 minute album (in which each song connects with the next) is more amazing than anything else I have heard, musically and lyrically. In fact, if you just listen to the music without the lyrics, you are only getting half the experience.

The album seems to revolve around a very bleak outlook on human life, but a true one at that. It made me see things in humans I had never even considered. I'm sure you've all heard your own music that reflects on the human race, but trust me when I say you haven't heard anything like this. With such powerful words, it'd be hard not to feel somewhat empty or, or ashamed to be a human... because not only will you recognize all the faults in the people you know, you will even realize that you are just the same. In covers every aspect of all seven sins, but not in a traditional way. We are not a perfect civilization, that would be impossible, but we are not only imperfect - we are a selfish, we are gluttonous, we are each and all a white wall.... we are simply puppets for a greed-driven carnival.

Of course, non of these concepts would be important without fantastic music to back it up. This album is both high-quality and slightly inventive, adding things like monkey's on the track "Informal Gluttony", weird nursery-rhyme chanting in the song "Sun of Nothing" and a Hoe Down in the song "Ants of the Sky". Actually it's moments like these in the songs that make the album extremely memorable. On top of these really cool ideas, you have excellent diversity in the instruments with an accordian making an awesome apperance in "Prequel to the Sequel" a violin in multiple songs and a piano that both introduces and exits the album.

As for standard intruments, the guitarist and drummer both have their esteemed moments at extremely powerful climaxes in the songs. Expert drum fills, and sweeping guitar solos made my appreaciation even greater. As for the vocals, this guy gets the screaming job done, but when he really shines are during the harmonious parts ("Feeeed me feeeaar") and ("In yooouurr mind, you caaan flyyyy.") This is seriously amazing stuff. I seldom hear a band work so goddamn well in conjuction as this momumentally talented quintet.

So overall, there is no one thing that sticks out most to be. Every aspect and facet of this epic album is commendable and worth hearing if you geniunely don't mind some metal. On second thought, what would you call this? Is it jazz, is it experimental? What is it really?

It's music, that's what it is. Music at it's finest. I'm surprised more people haven't exactly bought into this young 'turn-of-the-century' band, but as far as music goes, they are beyond skillful. A couple years down the road these guys will be true legends, as evident by following THIS album up with the equally impressive "The Great Misdirect".

~ Individual Song Ratings ~
Ants of the Sky -- 8.5/10
Prequel to the Sequel -- 8.75/10
Viridian -- 8/10
White Walls -- 10/10

* These ratings do not add up to equal a perfect 5/5, but I believe the album is greater than the sum of it's parts.

Hats off to you, BTBAM!

4.2

vanderb0b
January 23rd 2011

Never really cared for this all too much. Track listing isn't necessary at all, imo, but review is fine, even if it's a bit overblown.

ShadowRemains

hmmmmm

Digging: Execration (NOR) - Morbid Dimensions

porch

hats off to you btbam

tiesthatbind
January 23rd 2011

Pretty solid review for a first.

This album grew on me a lot but it's still way too flawed to be anywhere near classic.

January 23rd 2011

A few typos and grammar errors but the review itself is fine. I tend to disagree; I think the band writes a lot of creative parts but just didn't know how to string them together coherently on this album (I think they got it down better on The Great Misdirect). I liked how you touched up on the lyrics, that's usually the last thing a listener regards when listening to this band... so while there are 10,000 "classic" rating reviews for this album, yours is at least semi-unique.

your individual song ratings read like a 4

4.25 to be mathematically precise

January 23rd 2011

yeah i did the math too i was just generalizing

climactic

19368 Comments

i don't listen to this much anymore
and i don't see how those ratings add up to a 5.0
but decent review

Digging: Flying Lotus - You're Dead!

generalising is great

you are great

love you too caleb

qwe3
January 23rd 2011

i could have jacked off onto my hard drive and a review like this would have materialized

January 23rd 2011

i can actually see you doing something like that not gonna lie

Aids
January 23rd 2011

qwe you probably should, I would pos that

Digging: RATKING - So It Goes

crowing51

Me too

deathofasalesman
January 23rd 2011

I would rate this a 5 if it was a 5.

qwe3

Rev
January 23rd 2011

This grew on me a lot, but it's still just okay

Aids
January 23rd 2011

"hahahahahaha its official btbam fans propose to pos wank on a disk. no wonder they love btbam" haha zing, nice.

I should probably lower my rating, I don't listen to this at all anymore. I really wouldn't consider myself much of a btbam fan

MO
January 23rd 2011

this albums ok, nothing great imo