Tennis
Cape Dory

by Conrad Tao EMERITUS
January 17th, 2011 | 69 replies | 8,768 views

Review Summary: An irresistible burst of sunshine in the dead of winter.

On paper, the premise behind Cape Dory is teeth-gnashingly cute. The husband-and-wife duo behind Tennis, Patrick Riley and Alaina Moore, took an eight-month sailing trip and wrote short, sweet ‘60s-inspired pop songs about it. Their lyrics alternate between silly nautical rhymes (“Coconut Grove is a very small cove”) and irritably lovey-dovey flights of fancy (“Take me out, baby, I wanna go sail tonight / I can see the ocean in the pale moonlight”). Their sound is hardly anything new, existing in the same ‘60s-revival indie pop vein as Best Coast and the Dum Dum Girls. Their songs are line-crossingly similar to one another, making their debut sound almost as homogeneous as Crazy For You. And to top it all off, that album cover exemplifies every single bad quality of "retro". But there’s something utterly charming about the way these songs unfold, with Moore effortlessly capturing their inherent romanticism and Riley’s guitar work practically radiating sunshine. I mean, "Take Me Somewhere" is pretty much the same song as "Bimini Bay", but at least it's a good song.

Which is really what this album is all about: the tunes. What Cape Dory lacks in substance, it makes up for in hooks. The best songs here feature irresistibly catchy melodies and lovely vocal harmonies, lending a playful sheen to a potentially soggy line like "Darling you know I love you / I love you, oh-oh-whoa-oh". It helps, of course, that Moore has a gorgeous voice that makes even the most trite of sentiments feel genuine, and that Riley's pop sensibilities are rooted not simply in trendy surf-rock but also in old-school doo-wop tradition. The production is lo-fi but not insistently so, giving Moore's voice an appealingly polished sheen while retaining just enough fuzziness to evoke lazy days on the beach; this is a water-centric album, after all. And while there are times when the formula that Tennis work with fails to yield galvanizing results (the largely lifeless "Pigeon" comes to mind), they are happily outnumbered by successes. Besides, at just under 30 minutes, Cape Dory is a largely painless listen, and although it doesn't try to be groundbreaking in any way, it's a likable and assured debut.

Sufjan Stevens All Delighted PeopleBeyonce Beyonce
Kanye West YeezusGatekeeper Exo
Azealia Banks FantaseaLaurel Halo Quarantine
3.1
good
Coloso (2)
Perhaps the cute, indie-pop duo have something a little more charismatic and interesting up their sl...

2090 Comments

A short review for a short album! I was in Miami all last week and this album was a perfect soundtrack.

Tyrael

20824 Comments

I really don't like this, good review though.

Kiran
January 17th 2011

been avoiding the buzz around this but i may give a couple songs a listen based on your good word!

album art is so off-putting though, just terrible

cbmartinez
January 17th 2011

marathon is great, but I don't know if I could handle a whole album from them.

2090 Comments

Ugh, I know. That album art is horrific.

January 17th 2011

holy shit that's an ugly album cover

January 17th 2011

how redundant of me. Kirgasm, nice dig

Kiran
January 17th 2011

word, its an awesome album

if this gets featured and i have to see that cover every time i check the front page, i will find you conrad tao

January 17th 2011

"if this gets featured and i have to see that cover every time i check the front page"

please God no. my penis crawled inside of me when I first saw the artwork

2090 Comments

why are you guys denying me a possible feature you're so mean :C

in all honesty though, this is a nice short listen, really painless and quite fun!

Xenophanes
January 17th 2011

Literally everything about this seems utterly atrocious, so I'm gonna stay far away.

Pos.

Electric City

exactly what xeno said

Knott-
January 17th 2011

yeah where 'cute' is a synonym for 'nauseating'

2090 Comments

i felt the same way, but some of these songs are just so charming...

i normally hate twee stuff

January 17th 2011

I hate Best Coast and all that shit to begin with so this doesn't sound like my cup of tea at all at all

well give this a listen: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7S5NZYZae4k

it's painless, i assure you.

AggravatedYeti
January 17th 2011

been semi looking forward to this. nice to read some kind words

omnipanzer

Short and sweet
pos'd

Digging: The Ettes - Shake the Dust

Hep Kat
January 17th 2011

band is pretty bad despite having one or two infectious songs

Digging: Botany Boyz - Forever Botany

Knott-
January 17th 2011

that was pretty zzzz conrad not gonna lie