Lemuria
Pebble

2.0
poor

by Eric USER (161 Reviews)
January 13th, 2011 | 27 replies

Review Summary: What is this, amateur hour?

Lemuria most likely chose their name for the same reason many bands do-- it sounds appropriate or maybe generates interest, it fits. They probably didn’t anticipate it being this fitting though. Cursory research shows that the concept of “Lemuria” stems from a 19th Century hypothesis about a now-sunken continent that used to connect Asia and Africa. The hypothesis, besides being fodder for particularly nonsensical sci-fi novels, is now known as a famous debunked theory. It’s difficult not to form a hypothesis for Pebble, too. Lemuria’s sophomore album is being released by Bridge Nine Records, a prominent and predominately hardcore record label who are making a little leap of faith by promoting what is strictly pop-punk here: tame pop-punk at that, there’s little hardcore, punk, or emo influence on Pebble. Which isn’t a negative in its own right, it just means the songs would be just as appropriate for little sisters as they would you. Personally, I’d rather my sis’ discover some better quality pop-punk than this, for Pebble is stagnate and lifeless, vocal duties especially. My hypothesis that Lemuria would set themselves up nicely with a strong early-2011 release, based on factors like the fact that J. fucking Robbins is producing the record along with the general internet excitement surrounding Pebble, was sadly proven just as false as 19th Century crazy zoologist Philip Sclater’s ridiculous guess at a submerged lost land that he decided to name after lemurs, of all animals.

In case the cutesy cover didn’t make it clear enough, Lemuria is fronted by a boy-and-girl duo, and on Pebble they often sing back and forth to each other about “Why do you love me?” and equally-annoying topics. In other cases, this approach can be especially endearing, or seem heartfelt and genuine. On Pebble though, the listener is left out of the equation. We’re left looking in rather than being able to relate. The singing from both parties is flat and unenthusiastic, to a glaring fault. It leaves a significant hole in the album, a shame because the gritty guitars can be so impressive at times, a definite testament to Mascis’s production. Lemuria reaches a nadir on the album with “Different Girls.” An instrumentally dull, repetitive track, it details the girls’ worries about what the guy does on tour with drinking, other girls, and cliches abound. In a long-distance relationship myself, I feel I’m supposed to relate to her nagging and relentless worrying. Rather, “Different Girls” will undoubtedly leave you cringing convulsively, wondering why anyone would listen to this for pleasure. It’s odd, because while the percussion and guitars display obvious adeptness with their instruments, but the singing is so unbearably amateur that it could have been better performed by a couple singing to each other in a car-- and in particularly lackluster manner, too. Much of Pebble resides in the same vein. The horrid, hackneyed lyrics compounded with an unemotive delivery forces the instrumental work in the background, which manages to achieve a consistently interesting texture and melody here and there (“Gravity” and “Pleaser,” two of the catchiest), to be Lemuria’s small saving grace. While Pebble can be lovably carefree and unambitious at times, the album is beyond saving. It’s a shame, because an energetic, rattling pop-punk album to herald in 2011 could have been as exciting as finding out there’s a secret, submerged continent off the coast of Africa.

Mogwai Rave TapesTau Tau Eyelids
Ghost Ship Golden GirlsCrosses EP
Warren Franklin Your Heart Belongs To The MidwestFrightened Rabbit A Frightened Rabbit EP
good
Bob McFlum and the hairy pancake brigade (4)
GO 90's GO!...

lol

Digging: Pharmakon - Bestial Burden

AggravatedYeti
January 13th 2011

but there is a secret, submerged continent off the coast of Africa.

shhhhh...

FourSquare20
January 13th 2011

I just tried listening to this. Turned it off after track 3 or so. Pretty disappointing after hearing so much good stuff about this band.

AggravatedYeti
January 13th 2011

Don't suppress the truth eric.
what do you think this is?
Airstrip One?

iFghtffyrdmns
January 13th 2011

very well-written, I'll go ahead and avoid this even though they are Buffalo natives like myself.

pos'd.

Aids
January 13th 2011

good review sea, this sounds stupid. will avoid

Digging: RATKING - So It Goes

Xenophanes
January 13th 2011

I'll be honest, this was so not my thing to the point that I stopped reading. But what I read what top-notch. Great work. This just sound so boring.

Digging: Kayo Dot - Coffins On Io

Athom

I LIKE THIS CD. FUCK YOU

Jethro42

shhhhhhh

Irving
January 13th 2011

Great review - the submerged continent thing must be the best segue I've seen in a review since...I don't know when lol. Pos.

couldwinarabbit
January 14th 2011

your best neg review I have read.

DoubtGin
January 14th 2011

yes, this is boring; her voice is like fucking annoying

ObeyTheCowGod
January 15th 2011

i probably like this since it remember me of the nineties. Gravity for inctance is very good sadly right after gravity the rest of the songs come in. they arn't perticulary bad but theyre nothing to write home about either. 3/5

televisioneyes
January 15th 2011

Actually, this is a pretty poorly written review with a lot of wrong information. Lemuria is a trio, not a duo...just because the cover only has 2 people on it doesn't mean it's a duo. The Clash "S/t" only had 3 members on the cover, but they weren't a trio. Cheap Trick albums only have 2 people on the cover and they aren't a duo.

Also, this album was not recorded by J. Mascis. It was recorded by J. Robbins.

This album is incredible, just saw them last night in DC.

20518 Comments

yeah I know it's a trio I was referring to the duo on the cover lol you just misunderstood it's ok no need to give me examples that only serve to build on the misunderstanding

my mistake, confusing the two is something I've done before and something I'll probably do agin, thanks for the catch

I dunno... I wouldn't say that's a lot of wrong info there, was there more stuffs I missed?

But yeah thanks for letting me know broski

mmfarva
January 25th 2011

I had thought about reviewing this, but my disappointment with it turned me to other projects. What makes it even worse is that I absolutely adore Gravity, but everything else feels average to poor. Very disappointing all-around.

cvlts
January 26th 2011

i dont see whats so wrong with this

omnipanzer
January 31st 2011

Nah, it's a nice album..

Pssstt... the singing is supposed to be flat and no you don't have to like it.

Digging: We Were Promised Jetpacks - Unravelling

xist
February 10th 2011

They reminded me a bit of the Lemonheads....i'd probably have lapped this up ten years ago...