Deadmau5
Random Album Title

by Simon Harris (SCREAM!) USER (56 Reviews)
January 8th, 2011 | 32 replies | 8,428 views

Release Date: 2008 | Tracklist

Review Summary: The mau5head may be the same, but Deadmau5 was a completely different artist 2 years ago

Those that have taken the time to listen to all of Deadmau5 full lengths know that he has actually had a very eclectic career sound wise. Starting off playing a heavily Daft Punk influenced style of electronic on Get Scraped he has now grown to become one of the favourites in clubs, awards shows, radio programs, etc thanks to his simple yet incredibly catchy brand of house music.

Random Album Title can probably be counted as the album that really kicked off his uprising thanks to the hit single I Remember which features Kaskade but the album itself is still very different from what we know now.
Random Album Title is an album of subtleties. It features songs that are relatively long (a few nearly hitting the 10 minute mark and only one under 5 minutes) and often built around one main melody but the beauty of the album lies in how many things can be done to that melody within the duration of the song and the sense of a calm, almost trance-like state that accompanies this. In fact it is very easy to get lost in a trance while listening to Random Album Title. The deep, throbbing bass gives the music a thick sound while the repetitive melodies ease the listener into an almost serene calmness.

While the word repetitive is usually used in a negative way when describing music, it is not the case for this album. While repetitive in nature, the melodies are explored thoroughly in each song and are essential to create the calm trance effect that this album does so well. Each repeated line in the song takes on many different shapes as new sounds are subtly added or removed from it or as it slowly build up or fades out. These small but noticeable changes are just enough to keep the listener into the music while not sounding sudden and shaking away the soothing effects of the album.

The trick to Random Album Title is coming into it with the right mindset. Unlike newer Deadmau5 it isn’t the ideal soundtrack to a club night or a party (save a couple of songs like I Remember or Arguru) or something that can really be described as fun music. In fact, Random Album Title is almost to house what Burial or Distance is to dubstep. It is an album to get lost in, especially at night whether it be on a long bus/car ride or alone at home when you begin to feel the effects of tiredness creeping up on you. It is by far Deadmau5’s most consistent release, finding its comfortable niche within atmospheric house and bringing the listener on an hour long journey through it. A truly captivating release.

Agalloch The Serpent and the SphereForteresse / Chasse-Galerie / Monarque / Csejthe Légendes
Fuck the Facts AmerManeige Les Porches
Dark Castle Spirited MigrationSunn O))) ØØ Void
housegeek23 (4.5)
Sometimes things get complicated, but there's no complications here....

Arucard (4)
Holy cow - Canadian producer writes dance album containing some degree of quality. Now theres a head...

Xenophanes

nice work brah

Digging: United Nations - The Next Four Years

January 8th 2011

thanks man, starting school monday so wanted to get one last review out before i get all my time taken away

Digging: Agalloch - The Serpent and the Sphere

Tyrael

20697 Comments

I love this album, nice work!

January 8th 2011

Thanks guys, glad this turned out well. When i started writing it all my ideas were kinda coming all at once and it was hard to just get everything organised so it didn't sound rushed and jumbled

Tyrael

20697 Comments

I enjoyed reading this a lot, it's a very structured and easy read. You made me want to listen to this again.

klap
January 8th 2011

deep throbbing bass eh. not the only thing that's throbbing when i listen to this

Digging: The Bilinda Butchers - Heaven

January 8th 2011

everything throbs when i listen to this

Deviant.
January 8th 2011

As much as I love this album I almost always need to be in the right mood to listen to the whole thing, whereas I can chuck on FLOABN pretty much whenever

Digging: Calyx and Teebee - FabricLive.76

foreverendeared
January 8th 2011

The cookie monster is a big pussy now. He doesn't even eat cookies, he has to eat a balanced meal.

January 8th 2011

i agree that FLOABN is easier to listen to but this one has a bigger effect on me when i put it on

Theyre about even in my books (both 4.5s)

Athom

im so alone here in 2.5 land

January 8th 2011

you should consider a move up north then :P

Athom
January 8th 2011

i would but then i'd just be lying to myself

Hawks
January 8th 2011

Nice review buddy. Album is good. Gotta listen to it some more, but I have to be in a certain mood.

Digging: Manners - Pale Blue Light

January 8th 2011

yea i can definitely understand that although it seems my mood for it comes more often than most

Its also a fave when walking home intoxicated after a party

Sup redsky

Digging: Anberlin - Lowborn

January 9th 2011

Good review. "The trick to Random Album Title is coming into it with the right mindset." I agree with this so much.

Enotron

sputniks back!

January 9th 2011

the internet is so boring without the sputnikz

Liberi Fatali
January 15th 2011

Album keeps growing on me, digging it recently.