Ice Cube
AmeriKKKa's Most Wanted

by Bulldog USER (114 Reviews)
January 5th, 2011 | 42 replies

Release Date: 1990 | Tracklist

Review Summary: Ice Cube circa 1990 calls Ice Cube circa 2010 a 'b*tch-a** n*gga.' Just look at the album cover; nothing says "gangsta" like a sneer, fingerless leather gloves, and a Jheri curl.

When the news hit that Ice Cube, real name O'Shea Jackson, was departing NWA for a solo career, everybody knew that the breakup was far from amicable. As the lyrical mastermind behind the group - he claims to have written over half of both the group's magnum opus Straight Outta Compton and Eazy-E's classic solo debut Eazy-Duz -It - Jackson was embittered over a monetary dispute with record head Jerry Heller regarding his work on the albums. But almost nothing Cube did was done pleasantly. The man now known for doing family movies was once upon a time a ruthless MC and arguably hip-hop's most incendiary lyricist. Every syllable he rapped exploded out of his mouth with attitude and power and nobody was exempt from the possibility of finding themselves caught in between the sights of Ice Cube's AK47. He was a force to be reckoned with, and AmeriKKKa's Most Wanted showcases the might of his heyday perfectly.

If the Wu-Tang Clan honed lyrical swords, then Ice Cube threw lyrical fists. He started unapologetically taboo and profane lines by injecting them with angst and then finished them by slamming end rhymes against booming kicks. With a relentless personality and furious lyrics to match, Ice Cube had no fear on the mic. Now artists usually shouldn't have to fear anything, per se, but that just goes to show where Ice Cube set his parameters (if you could call them that.) Nothing was off-limits to him. In addition to your A-B-C, 1-2-3 rhymes about sex, drugs, and violence, you had blatant attacks on purportedly racist white organizations, and surprisingly enough, even African Americans and the same radio stations that aired his songs. Despite the unrelenting abrasiveness, there was a calculated wit about his rhymes, and the truth of the matter is, no matter how brutal he was on the mic, no matter how gangster and misogynistic he was, every song he made had political commentary contained somewhere within. Although he was his own artist, his style could loosely be described as an amalgamation of the diehard ghetto mentality shared and cultivated amongst the remaining members of his old group, NWA and Chuck D's socio-economic and political criticisms. Even though he had no background as a battle rapper, it's almost as if AmeriKKKa's Most Wanted is an extended cipher, with America as the crowd that surrounded a frowning Ice Cube who was tearing through everyone in his line of sight.

Although he was from L.A. (or rather, straight out of Compton, if you'll indulge me the pleasure of making a pun,) Cube holed up in New York, New York in order to team up with Public Enemy's production, the Bomb Squad. Marked by dusty horn bursts, shrill guitar riffs and heavy percussion, the style of the Bomb Squad had helped propel hip-hop landmarks from the late 80's such as [i]It Takes a Nation of Millions To Hold Us[i] and The Adventures of Slick Rick and did the same for Ice Cube. But, no disrespect to Bomb Squad, it was no match for Dre's production prowess, and that's where this album falters, if it falters at all. Ice Cube's rapping and Dr. Dre's stripped-down, amped-up funk was a match made in heaven, and were Cube to have had a chance at a solo record back with Ruthless, there's no doubt in my mind that it would have been a championed essential and a widely recognized record.

Although it's disappointing that he quickly fell off, we still have AmeriKKKa's Most Wanted as a testament to Ice Cube's rap royalty. Ice Cube, in the purest sense of the idiom, went hard here, and ultimately succeeded in making one of the first great hip-hop albums of the 90's, an accomplishment in and of itself. It's truly astonishing how the mighty have fallen. After the hordes of hip-hop fans caught word that Eminem had collaborated with the likes of Rihanna and P!nk, people dismissed him as being a sell-out that paled in comparison to his old's self. Funny. People were saying the same sh*t about Ice Cube just when Em was dropping MMLP. History has the tendency to repeat itself, just as you should have the tendency to replay this.

Young L DOMO-KUNRaekwon Shaolin vs. Wu-Tang
Lupe Fiasco LasersSaigon The Greatest Story Never Told
MF DOOM Operation: DoomsdayLil B Angels Exodus
thecreative0ne (5)
Before Ice Cube was in movies, he was "AmeriKKKa's Most Wanted"....

Francis Jones (4)

Drsmith4
January 5th 2011

Last paragraph is gold. pos

January 5th 2011

thanks man. you heard the album before?

Drsmith4
January 5th 2011

Nope, but I'm on an music-I-need-to-check-out binge. Call it a new years' resolution. I'll put this on my list.

January 5th 2011

Very nice. Hope you like it, man.

January 5th 2011

Nice review man. I'm sure I wouldn't like this too much though considering I'm not too fond of Straight Outta Compton.

SCREAMorphine

Great review
I'm actually going to try and download this now
Pos

January 5th 2011

pos'd. was listening to this yesterday. fucking love this album

Thanks, guys.

But Hawks, you didn't like the beats on Straight Outta Compton, and the production on this is different from the beats on Straight Outta Compton, so you very well could like this.

January 5th 2011

I may give it a go then.

Hell yeah, man.

I wish NWA had stayed together longer.

January 5th 2011

Haha well I mean it really didn't matter to me, obviously. I need to check out some of Eazy-E's solo stuff too.

January 5th 2011

Eazy-E's best album is Eazy-Duz-It in my opinion. But then again, that was produced by Dr. Dre and you seem to be indifferent to him. May I ask what you thought of The Chronic?

January 5th 2011

speaking of Dre, Keep Their Heads Ringin shold've been on an album.

January 5th 2011

never heard it. will YouTube it when I'm done listening to Nas.

January 5th 2011

forgot to say excellent review, which it is. workin on my pharoahe monch review now.

Ice Cube is such a fake ass sell out these days

January 5th 2011

I never heard all of The Chronic, but what I have heard was really good and yeah Keep Their Heads Ringin' is so god damn good.

thanks urinetrouble.

and hawks do you dislike the beats on straight outta compton in and of themselves or do you just think they feel out of place

January 5th 2011

I just think they feel completely out of place. I don't think they fit with the content of the album at all.

January 5th 2011

yea i guess i can kind of see that. straight outta compton is a personal favorite of mine but "Express Yourself" and "Somethin 2 Dance 2" are just ugh.

January 5th 2011

I really only enjoyed the first two tracks and then it was downhill after that.