Laura Stevenson
Holy Ghost!

by Eric USER (161 Reviews)
December 28th, 2010 | 74 replies

There’s a moment during “Holy Ghost!” about two-thirds of the way through the song where Laura nets an unbearably serene moment. The song follows a simple progression, not unlike the minimal instrumentals accompanying it, but in a humble three minutes Stevenson manages to induce a whole army of spiderlike chills that run down your spine when the song hits a crescendo. The electricity that begins flowing through the song at this decisive crossroads in the song finds its way around, flows through your ears, and down your arms. Laura Stevenson, of musical collective Bomb the Music Industry! fame, captures exquisite moments like these galore on the short, lively, Holy Ghost! EP. Her means are simple: the violins, trumpets, percussion, and sinewy guitar lines are rarely used in excess. Yet, Laura packs enough splendor and soulcrushing emotion into a mere three songs than most bands fit into a full-length.

Let Laura take you in, make you a warm cup of tea, sit you by the fire, and astound you with her cozy, angelic voice. Not letting her punk roots show through much, Holy Ghost! is a warm affair, and is sure to evoke claims of “Where has this been all my life?!” as I’ve heard it do before. Each of the three songs are similar in fashion. Beginning like cold skeletons with a bony resonance and a bare guitar rhythm, Laura slowly breathes life into the entity with her sweet, mellifluous voice. You feel it start to come to life... stumble a little... sway to and fro. Then with precision and power, Laura seems to inspire life! into the piece, erupting in a mountain of fuzz, horns, and a sprawling amplification. “Holy Ghost!” displays this building exhilaration most beautifully. Laura’s comfortable, homey atmosphere on Holy Ghost! could induce a coma of serenity with her cherubic vocals and whimsical melodies, but hopefully you remain conscious to all the small complexities and subtleties throughout the fleeting entirety of the EP-- you’ll be glad you did.

Mogwai Rave TapesTau Tau Eyelids
Ghost Ship Golden GirlsCrosses EP
Warren Franklin Your Heart Belongs To The MidwestFrightened Rabbit A Frightened Rabbit EP

Wheel

Sit Resist

A Record

20970 Comments

Was bored this morning so decided to review a teensy tiny thing. This is really worth hearing, guys... especially because it's only like 10 minutes long.

Also, she's a cutie:
[img]http://c1.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images01/32/l_1b3f9f482cfc5c411f398ee6853c6720.jpg[/img]

Digging: Viet Cong - Viet Cong

kitsch
December 28th 2010

pseudo hippie girl with a banjo

ok ill get it

klap
December 28th 2010

girls who look like that are really starting to tick me off

Digging: Charli XCX - Sucker

kitsch
December 28th 2010

yeah but a lot of them are starting to look more like gypsies so thats ok w/ me

20970 Comments

I fell in love immediately after watching the music video for Holy Ghost!

DoubtGin
December 28th 2010

she has a split EP with BtMI!

interested

dude...

she's a member of BTMI! along with all her backing band here... think she's their keyboardist

DoubtGin

whoa

December 28th 2010

"holy ghost" is so fucking beautiful.

http://vimeo.com/18110498 new song

Lucid
December 28th 2010

This was pretty good but I don't come back to it often.

No doubt id love this.

20970 Comments

yeah balls this is right up your alley

everybody watch that video I posted if you're not sure

December 28th 2010

Stopped Bones to watch/listen and I don't pause Bones for nothing. Awesome tune. Will listen to the other two after the episode.

bones? really? sigh...

couldwinarabbit
December 28th 2010

got back from a really nice long run sat by the fire and listened to this and it was excellent.

theacademy

the fire's in my pants

Digging: Charli XCX - Sucker

December 28th 2010

Getting season 5 made me feel better about missing Christmas.

theacademy

dude bones = religion

been slaggin' lately tho... they need a new serialized serial killer story arc, like a new gormagon or that one who buried people alive