Diddy
Last Train to Paris

by Bulldog USER (114 Reviews)
December 23rd, 2010 | 54 replies | 6,827 views

Review Summary: Diddy begins a trek to reclaim the girl he loves and inadvertently copies Kanye almost every step of the way.

Anybody well acquainted with the 90’s hip-hop scene is familiar with Sean Combs, alternatively known by a bevy of aliases. The Bad Boy record exec.’s legacy is a tried and true rags-to-riches story, but does its part in holding up the saying “it’s a cut throat world.” Combs has garnered a reputation for ‘using’ artists and throwing them away when he’s done with them; in essence, being a Grade-A a**hole and, euphemistically speaking, just doing his job. When not being a cold-hearted industry figurehead, Diddy dabbles in music making himself, often to the chagrin of anybody with a set of functioning ears. Nonetheless, he has twelve chart-topping hits under his belt and has succeeded in moving twelve million units internationally. Last Train to Paris is his fifth release and it’s better than you think it’d be.

Diddy stated himself that one of the aims of the album was to “express emotion,” adding that he intended it to be a breath of fresh air, as so many records out were the same old song and dance, failing to transcend superficiality. But a glance at the tracklisting and the statement is an obvious paradox. Diddy stands alongside a myriad of big name contemporary R&B and mainstream hip-hop artists and the Dirty Money duo comprised of vocalists Kalenna Harper and Dawn Richard (both formerly of Danity Kane). Although this is to be expected, it’s disappointing and due to the overall vocal ineptness, the only thing the LP can really feed off of emotionally is its concept. Believe it or not, Last Train to Paris is, in fact, a love story; one that is fleshed out by a poor cast, but a love story nonetheless. Pleasingly enough, the plot is neither obtusely simple nor complex and intricate. In summation, a passionate, unfulfilled one-night fling turns into a quest that finds our hero Diddy making transatlantic crossings, yearning for second chances, and traversing a couple of Western Europe metropolises in a hectic search for the love of his life.

Lest you forget, the ultimate crux of this album is its sonic aesthetic, but it’s a sturdy crux at that. Despite taking a decidedly poppy direction, Last Train to Paris transcends the traditional American hip-pop vein in favor of a more mature fusion of electronica and dance music with distinctive European accents. The production is infectious and almost impels dancing, but it’s a more sophisticated strain of club music. Its influences are far reaching, varying from techno to house, disco to Europop, and the music in and of itself is incredibly well-developed. Under all of its technical complexity and artiness, there’s a prevailing, odd soulfulness to it, and that’s an achievement in and of itself.

New York Magazine posed a quasi-rhetorical question on Last Train to Paris in its compare/contrast article: “Could Diddy’s [artsy] electronic epic be more interesting than Kanye’s [artsy rock] one?” The answer is a blatant ‘no.’ Despite being Diddy’s magnum opus, it’s ultimately just a dressed-up pop album, and even worse, an unrealized concept. Last Train to Paris is propelled by sheer ambition and magnificent production and, quite frankly, that’s just not enough. A well-planned idea does not equal a well-done one, and when it’s all said and done, Last Train to Paris isn’t the latter.

Young L DOMO-KUNRaekwon Shaolin vs. Wu-Tang
Lupe Fiasco LasersSaigon The Greatest Story Never Told
MF DOOM Operation: DoomsdayLil B Angels Exodus

December 23rd 2010

Eh, over a week late but this needed a review. It's streaming on his Myspace for those of you who care to listen.

December 23rd 2010

good review. album is kinda lame

Deviant.

electronica and dance music

Pretty much one and the same man

Its influences are far reaching and the music in and of itself is incredibly well-developed.

What influences? Give me examples, and explain how it's so well developed

I imagine this is Diddy (or the artist formerly known as I couldn't really give a fuck) just emulating Guetta a bit, am I wrong?

Digging: Banks - Goddess

December 23rd 2010

Is Diddy even considered relevant anymore?

December 23rd 2010

I don't think he ever was really. He's annoying as shit, especially in the background of Biggie's albums.

Digging: Engraved - Before The Tales

December 23rd 2010

Is Diddy even considered relevant anymore?

This album sold 80,000 copies in its first week, so kind of.

I'm on it, Deviant.

December 23rd 2010

This album sold 80,000 copies in its first week, so kind of.

Damn, I'm sad to hear that.

He's annoying as shit, especially in the background of Biggie's albums.

Doesn't help that he sucked all the money possible out of Biggie's legacy either.

December 23rd 2010

All he does is go, "Yeah, let's go, yeah." It's so fucking retarded.

December 23rd 2010

And now he's rolling in money. I need to find a rapper that'll let me do the backing vocals in their album.

December 23rd 2010

dude needs to stop with music all together. people at my school think he's still somewhat relevant

December 23rd 2010

In 2006, his net worth was 346 million USD. He has a lot of business ventures though.

Also, although he has done quite the disservice to Biggie's legacy and did gay backing vocals "for" him, he produced a few tracks on Ready to Die.

December 23rd 2010

^that alone deserves some sort of praise, right?

December 23rd 2010

I need to find a rapper that'll let me do the backing vocals in their album.

I'm actually the one yelling FLOCKA a billion times in Waka Flocka Flame's album.

December 23rd 2010

I'm actually the one yelling FLOCKA in Waka Flocka Flame's album.

WAKA FLOCKA FLAME
FLAME

Deviant.

I'm the guy who says "yeah" in anything Timbaland related

December 23rd 2010

I'm the guy going "AYY, AYY, OK" in every Gucci Mane song.
Wait that means I'm OJ Da Juiceman.
Fuck, well this sucks.

December 23rd 2010

im the guy who does all the adlibs in anything lil jon related

im lil jon

December 23rd 2010

Am I weird for actually like Waka Flocka?

December 23rd 2010

How dare you have your own opinion? STOP IT RIGHT NOW.

December 23rd 2010

No. Much to my surprise, Flockaveli was pretty good.