Kanye West
My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy

by ConsiderPhlebas USER (34 Reviews)
December 19th, 2010 | 98 replies | 7,067 views

Review Summary: As dark and twisted as the Statue of David’s shiny balls, but sadly not as beautiful

Kanye West cares about himself, about money, about pussy, religion and black people. Unfortunately, after taking firm control of their output once more, they cheerfully fly the plane into the goddamn mountain, leaving nothing but a fragmented, gleaming pile of junk. It’s far from the worst thing they have ever produced, but even further fruch as ‘I treat the cash the way the government treats the AIDS, I won’t be satisfied ‘til all my niggas get it. Get it?’ Judging by the critical and commercial response, the answer is a resounding ‘yes’. Because it’s all self-consciously ironic, yeah. Like, the bit with the picture of his dick, yeah. That’s him making fun of himself, yeah. Yeah. Or, no. Or maybe it’s so obviously self-conscious that it is, in fact, gratuitous, infantile nonsense. And maybe his delivery on tracks like ‘Gorgeous’ anduch as ‘I treat the cash the way the government treats the AIDS, I won’t be satisfied ‘til all my niggas get it. Get it?’ Judging by the critical and commercial response, the answer is a resounding ‘yes’. Because it’s all self-consciously ironic, yeah. Like, the bit with the picture of his dick, yeah. That’s him making fun of himself, yeah. Yeah. Or, no. Or maybe it’s so obviously self-conscious that it is, in fact, gratuitous, infantile nonsense. And maybe his delivery on tracks like ‘Gorgeous’ anduch as ‘I treat the cash the way the government treats the AIDS, I won’t be satisfied ‘til all my niggas get it. Get it?’ Judging by the critical and commercial response, the answer is a resounding ‘yes’. Because it’s all self-consciously ironic, yeah. Like, the bit with the picture of his dick, yeah. That’s him making fun of himself, yeah. Yeah. Or, no. Or maybe it’s so obviously self-conscious that it is, in fact, gratuitous, infantile nonsense. And maybe his delivery on tracks like ‘Gorgeous’ andom their best.

The record is brimming with half-realised ideas that would require far more than three songs to reach their potential. Crisp, punchy riffs are shoved onto preceding sections with a workmanlike inevitability; occasional patches of noodling show up for s of wisdom such as ‘I treat the cash the way the government treats the AIDS, I won’t be satisfied ‘til all my niggas get it. Get it?’ Judging by the critical and commercial response, the answer is a resounding ‘yes’. Because it’s all self-consciously ironic, yeah. Like, the bit with the picture of his dick, yeah. That’s him making fun of himself, yeah. Yeah. Or, no. Or maybe it’s so obviously self-conscious that it is, in fact, gratuitous, infantile nonsense. And maybe his delivery on tracks like ‘Gorgeous’ and ‘All of the Lights’ is the stunted, rhythmless croaks of a buffoon. Some bands – hell, some genres – can sneak by with poor lyrics and poor vocal performance, but where they’re rammed to the forefront as they are here, you can’t ignore them and you can’t forgive them. Even the pleasant singing interludes suffer from a sense that they were ripped straight from a child’s first attempts at poetry. ‘Runaway as fast as you can…’ Aw, bless.

The tragedy of the record lies in its consistencies, or to be more exact, their war with one another. The consistent lack of quality in the lyrical department stamps heartily on the perfectly formed nutsack of the music, which never dips below average (althouguch as ‘I treat the cash the way the government treats the AIDS, I won’t be satisfied ‘til all my niggas get it. Get it?’ Judging by the critical and commercial response, the answer is a resounding ‘yes’. Because it’s all self-consciously ironic, yeah. Like, the bit with the picture of his dick, yeah. That’s him making fun of himself, yeah. Yeah. Or, no. Or maybe it’s so obviously self-conscious that it is, in fact, gratuitous, infantile nonsense. And maybe his delivery on tracks like ‘Gorgeous’ anduch as ‘I treat the cash the way the government treats the AIDS, I won’t be satisfied ‘til all my niggas get it. Get it?’ Judging by the critical and commercial response, the answer is a resounding ‘yes’. Because it’s all self-consciously ironic, yeah. Like, the bit with the picture of his dick, yeah. That’s him making fun of himself, yeah. Yeah. Or, no. Or maybe it’s so obviously self-conscious that it is, in fact, gratuitous, infantile nonsense. And maybe his delivery on tracks like ‘Gorgeous’ andd yes, it’s all a little too long, a little bloated and faux-grandiose, but it has some kind of character to it, a sort of victim-chic that draws you in as it bumps along. Indeed, the texture, austerity and taste in the instrumentation only makes the vocals seem even more bizarre in their blunt, malformed outpourings. The numerous guest slots add nothing worthwhile to the proceedings, with Rihanna phoning-in a performance whinier than she ever has before and Jay-Z being wheeled out of the old folk’s home to say some stuff about things that means nothing to anyone. If only it had been beautiful, dark and twisted, the record might have changed the world, or at least the world of mega-unit hip-hop. Sadly, any influence it may have will probably be tainted, dooming West to the horrors of incredible yet empty success.

Gallops Yours Sincerely, Dr. HardcoreThe Swellers Running Out of Places to Go
One Direction Up All NightThe Weakerthans Left and Leaving
Frank Turner England Keep My BonesJaya the Cat More Late Night Transmissions With Jaya the Cat
4.2

Liked it at first

JustJoe

Finally.

Kiran
December 19th 2010

good read, nice to see a different opinion

Digging: Spoon - They Want My Soul

December 19th 2010

Cheers, guys. Thought it needed a counterpoint to the raft of 5's.

fr33convict

FINALLY

pos

InASilentWay

Great review

Apollo

Deviant.
December 19th 2010

I saw this on the front page and instantly assumed it was another 5, but nope!

Really good read man, great counterpoint that was needed even though I disagree a tad with it

Digging: Banks - Goddess

December 19th 2010

Really glad to see a not-so-positive review of this. I am not really understanding the massive support for this album.

Digging: Interpol - El Pintor

2090 Comments

Good to see counterpoint, and this was a great read, nice and concise. I think I disagree most with your description of the vocoder in Runaway as being a low point on the album, but each to their own : )

plane
December 20th 2010

This is a really fantastic read. You hit upon my initial misgivings about the record nearly perfectly. But I've come around to that victim-chic a lot, and am impressed by Kanye's self-conscious bluntness, if only because I think he's even more aware of that aspect than we can give him credit for. He knows exactly what he's doing here, to a staggering degree; he's manipulating practically every facet of it. I'd say it's Kanye's way of trying to figure out how to make his personal life something understandable on a global scale, so we look first to his interpretation before any other outlet. I found out about his nude photo from this album. How odd is that?

December 20th 2010

Thanks, guys. I could not for the life of me think of the word 'vocoder' when I was writing this, was driving me nuts. I can see why people like this but the 5s are confusing.

I see what you're saying PW - I was kinda on the same page at first. The direction he went in could have been a great thing, it's just the execution that dulls it for me.

Irving
December 20th 2010

AH! A NEGATIVE REVIEW! THERE MUST BE A GOD OUT THERE!!

Good stuff - it's very well-written and never once loses itself in its rhetoric. Have a pos.

Digging: Ty Segall - Manipulator

2090 Comments

I think the 5s make perfect sense, actually...I mean, I think it's pretty much perfectly conceived and perfectly formed; as an album, it's greater than the sum of its parts.

DiceMan

Fantastic read, pos sir.

December 20th 2010

Thanks, Irving and Diceman. Really conrad, perfectly formed? It seems deeply flawed to me.

robertsona
December 20th 2010

nailed it w/r/t the review.

love the album, though

ShadowRemains

20521 Comments

summary alone warrants a pos...but yeah review is great too

AtavanHalen
December 20th 2010

Mmm, didn't like this review, tbh.

2090 Comments

I dunno, I find that there's something really arresting about the way he dives into his subject material whilst being surrounded by impeccably produced chaos