RVIVR
RVIVR LP

by Mike Allen USER (107 Reviews)
December 17th, 2010 | 17 replies | 10,151 views

Review Summary: More Latterman offshoots = no complaint here

At this point in time, Latterman is virtually impossible to keep tabs on. After the band’s cataclysmic (well to many of us anyway) split in 2007, the members have scattered throughout the United States to punk rock outfits such as Iron Chic and RVIVR among others. Latterman co-front man Matt Canino had already been exerting his vocal chords with the Olympia, Washington based Shorebirds as a side project, but the band’s breakup left question marks where he would end up next. Joining forces with Erica Freas of Hooky, RVIVR was subsequently formed just years after Latterman’s dissolution; serving as yet another offshoot of the Long Island punk rockers.

Unlike the obnoxious demeanor of their contemporary Iron Chic, RVIVR’s self-titled debut is formulated through a much more laid-back and melodic performance; placing emphasis on the tandem of vocalists. Despite the fact that Canino and Freas lack experience working together, RVIVR is an indication that the two have already developed tremendous chemistry at the helm of the band. In many ways, Canino and Freas complement each other perfectly; Canino is constantly shouting in the anthemic fashion that was so apparent in Latterman, while Freas provides that raspy, higher register. The majority of the record displays this in full effect as the vocalists call and answer each other in highlight “Cut the Chord” and even trade off verses on “Change on Me.” This isn’t to say that the album suffers with only one of the vocalists at the helm, for the infectious “Real Mean” is Freas’ standout performance. Soothing, and edgy when necessary, “Real Mean” is a wonderful pop-punk tune which exemplifies the release’s melodic nature.

Although still retaining its punk rock tendencies, RVIVR, clearly relies on a remarkable quantity of pop-appeal that is expressed through its anthemic hooks and instrumentation. Palm-muted guitars are utilized throughout, and the lead guitar is intricately incorporated to complement the vocals and rhythm section. “Animal Hands’s” fiery solo makes this especially notable, as well as the smooth interludes of “Breathe In.” With a melodic approach in place however, RVIVR doesn’t cease to deliver moments of sheer intensity or the neck-breaking pace at which the genre is defined under. Closer “Change on Me” is your typical momentum-building closer; initiated by feedback and a somewhat relaxed atmosphere, and climaxing into a full-blown rocker that has both Canino and Freas shouting at the top of their lungs.

It is difficult to deny the magnitude of Latterman’s fragmentation, but in retrospect the disbanding has resulted in several solid groups such as RVIVR. With that said however, RVIVR has cultivated its own signature sound with their self-titled release and uncovers some serious potential for the future. The tandem of Matt Canino and Erica Freas could already be one of the more formidable male-female vocalist combinations in modern music, with RVIVR demonstrating this in its entirety. While not showcasing anything groundbreaking or overly remarkable, RVIVR’s self-titled release is one of the more enjoyable records of 2010, one to shout along with like we did with Latterman.

The State Lottery When the Night ComesThe Wrens The Meadowlands
Bruce Springsteen The PromiseIron Chic Not Like This
Fake Problems Real Ghosts Caught on TapeFrank Turner Sleep Is For The Week

December 17th 2010

Thanks dude. Have you listened to Latterman or Iron Chic at all before?

yeah, Latterman's No Matter Where We Go is like the greatest

cvlts
December 17th 2010

been meaning to check this out. hopefully this will remind me.

sweet review, pos bro

Aids

great review, as usual

I don't think I'll be checking this out though

Jethro42

Good work Vedder!

Hep Kat
December 18th 2010

orgcore orgcore orgcore orgcore orgcore

Digging: Sir Michael Rocks - Banco

December 18th 2010

thanks all

BigHans
December 23rd 2010

Awesome dude will be checking this out for sure.

guitarplaya91
December 27th 2010

Change on Me has been my anthem for the past month.

hellpickle
May 14th 2011

reminds of the Croatian band "Analena" (the last album particularly and mostly because of female vocals), though don't listen to this kind of punk much, but after hearing this release, I just might consider looking into this more.

really good stuff.

sixthgoldenticket
September 5th 2011

it's such a shame how backwards these guys are going about promoting equality

hellpickle
September 19th 2011

watchu talkin' bout, ticket?

sixthgoldenticket
September 22nd 2011

apparently they didnt allow bands to open for them that didnt have a gay or female member in the band,
among other things. its good to promote equality but thats just not fair. matt did an interview
recently that cleared everything up though

WeepingBanana
December 22nd 2011

jammin this hard right now

TrafficHaze
December 22nd 2011

heard that rumor myself six, but i've also heard that's a massive overstatement. got a link to the interview?

i do know that latterman got sick of having to put up with misogynistic brodudes at their shows and shit.

Satellite

20690 Comments

^ oops that was me. i was still in classic mode

my avatar has not aged well

Digging: Run the Jewels - Run the Jewels

dimsim3478
April 11th 2014

just saw these guys and they were AMAZING

everyone else was like 10 years older than me and drunk and they didn't play "Real Mean" and very few people were singing along but THEY KILLED IT

Digging: My Psychoanalyst - Choreomania