Mournful Congregation
The Monad of Creation

by Dying. Feed us? USER (8 Reviews)
December 16th, 2010 | 16 replies

Release Date: 2005 | Tracklist

Review Summary: The Monad of Creation is not so much music as it is a complete experience. This is doom metal, in its purest form.

Please, check your preconceived notions of what music is, and what it can amount to and achieve at the door. Do away with all genre stereotypes, anything that could interfere with your appreciation of music in its most elemental form. Only then will you be able to grasp what Mournful Congregation has achieved with The Monad of Creation.

In a world so unfortunately led by superficial pop-stars and dreary, redundant rappers, the music world has placed more of an emphasis on short, three minute tracks that contain no deeper purpose than to feed the all too eager masses just waiting to have their fill of ego driven artists, if that word is even able to be applied to these musical parasites.

Needless to say, this brain-washed crowd would not understand the sheer compositional genius displayed on this fantastic album, one that I consider to be an absolute staple of the entire funeral doom genre. They won’t be able to see past the hefty track length, won’t be able to delve for even a minute into the crushing, brutal mass that is Mournful Congregation’s masterwork, their pièce de résistance. But this composition wasn’t created for them.

Rather, it was made for the select few who look beyond recycled melodies, recycled drum beats, simplistic bass lines, and the dreaded auto-tune. People who can see beyond the Billboard charts to embrace the brutal waves of sound, interspersed with genius bouts of beautiful acoustic work, haunting and melancholic. This music is not mere music, but a brilliant atmospheric experience, a unique trip through the apocalypse and back, that will leave you both emotionally drained and invigorated. When The Monad of Creation is listened to through a quality set of headphones, in a dark room, and distractions eliminated, it truly is its own force of nature.

Funeral doom, whose main purpose in the musical world is to create the sonic equivalent of sorrow, of hopelessness, of death and dying, of the end of the world, has succeeded in filling that role quite nicely, and this experience that is so much more than a mere hour-long album, has set a new bar for which all others may aspire, a bar reached by only a few others; Evoken with Antithesis of Light, and Skepticism. But this work is more than even those; no other musical creation has ever succeeded in making me lose complete site of reality, so fully transported me to a world were all existence is shriveled and back. None other has made me want to return to this bleak depression nearly every day, after my return from its last harrowing journey.

Please, cease to call this music. When taken as such, what Mournful Congregation has achieved cannot be fully realized; rather, think of it as an entirely new existence, one that has never before been revealed. The Monad of Creation is a place of terrifyingly stunning despair. The world seems to slow to a stop under its crushing, claustrophobic weight, with only the occasional acoustic break in the storm that leaves the mind reeling to comprehend the phenomenon that has just occurred.

This is doom metal, in its purest form.

Bad Salad UncivilizedWood Spider In the Thick of It
Seventh Wonder The Great EscapeDragonForce Ultra Beatdown
Haken AquariusDream Theater A Change of Seasons
4.2
rasputin (4.5)
The symbol of life and death, the totem of something lost....

JustJoe
December 16th 2010

I guess this will be my first foray into the funeral doom genre. I am intrigued.

wyankeif1337
December 16th 2010

so, i apparently need this.
great review, pos'd

qwe3

great band

Xenophanes
December 17th 2010

Good review, god awful username though.

pos

Athom

i miss berkay

Hawks

I guess I need this.

kevin234
December 17th 2010

great review. main steam music blows and more people need to tell it like you did. people buy into the worst music like nickelback. I shall check out this band based purely on how much I like your take on mainstream and society because I have never heard of funeral doom genre.

GeorgeCostanza

1. kevin234
2. "dreaded auto-tune"
3. this band probably has never even read Leibniz

jingledeath
December 17th 2010

June Frost was cool, still need to get this.

TheSpirit
January 18th 2011

Judging by your first three paragraphs I'm surprised you can even see what's going on in the mainstream from your pedestal of musical enlightenment.

Digging: The Speed of Sound in Seawater - Red Version

porcupinetheater
January 18th 2011

I have a pair of very strong binoculars

Digging: Ravenmoon Sanctuary - Winter Desolation of Death

TheSpirit
January 19th 2011

compensating for your weak dick

dr2den

hahaha

rasputin

i miss berkay

wasssupppp

porcupinetheater
January 19th 2011

Believe the original complaint was with my eyesight, seeing from the pedestal. The other rumors are irrelevant.

Meatplow