Ween
The Pod

by Bill Thomas USER (15 Reviews)
December 16th, 2010 | 8 replies | 6,688 views

Release Date: 1991 | Tracklist

Review Summary: Pick on Dinosaurs. They are the ones that deserve it.

These guys did drugs. You know, and I'm not just saying that, as flattering as that statement might be. This album is slow. You know, and I'm not just saying that, as flattering as that statement might be.

What I am trying to say here is that this is a stoner album. Alot of the songs here go real slow so that those pot-infested treants can walk around saying stuff like "totally tuberculosis" and other such garbage. They are still bending genres, and going in between them like some sort of crazy hooker looking for peanut butter in the couch, but it's all slow tempo. There's none of the crazy punkiness of their first album. There is no "You ***ed Up" or "Tick" but rather you got classic rock sounding "Doctor Rock" and the slow-but-still-offensive "The Stallion Pt. 1" (PART 2 IS ON THIS ALBUM TOO! CAN YOU BELIEVE IT?)

What this record excels at is the Beach Boys level. In videogame terms, it's the level that follows the schizophrenia level. But there are some real good pop songs. "Sorry Charlie" "Oh My Dear (Falling In Love)", and "Pork Roll Egg and Cheese" are great examples into what they would eventually turn into, as far as pop songwriting would go. Great catchy melodies with very simple instrumentation, what else could you ask for in a pop song? NOTHING, THAT'S WHAT! And there isn't only pop music! "Right to the Ways and the Rules of the World", "Captain Fantasy" and "Demon Sweat" are their first little pokes into the world of prog rock, I mean, they aren't doing any crazy guitar solos or anything, but the mood, and the general structure of the songs scream Pink Floyd at you. Even if it is Pink Floyd in the third grade.

I must digress. While there is 8 or 9 good songs here the rest of the album just stinks. Half written melodies, stupid toilet jokes, white noise...It's as if Ween were just whacked out on inhalents, like scotchgarde while writing this album, it's absurd!

Evanescence EvanescenceThey Might Be Giants Join Us
Ween 12 Golden Country GreatsDIR EN GREY MACABRE
Ween Chocolate and CheeseThe Fall Fall Heads Roll

WatchItExplode
December 16th 2010

Wow...I am in awe of your descriptive talents Mr. Thomas. My favorite Ween review thus far.

BTW, this album has maybe 4 good songs and is mostly crap.

What???

it's true

WatchItExplode
December 16th 2010

You've been very active, I forgot you existed for awhile.

You should own the Ween: Live in Chicago DVD if you don't already have it. They basically play every good song they have over two nights. Dean and Gene are pretty funny and the crowd is rediculously into it too.

December 17th 2010

you can blame WoW for that xD

Josh D.
December 17th 2010

I played with a Ween.

Penlord
February 11th 2013

This is like the best ween album ever

StallionMang
May 27th 2013

The album that inspired my username. Personally, I love the record and the mood it sets (and I'm not even a stoner), but I do agree that Ween makes you sit through a LOT of crap in order to get to the good stuff.

Digging: Molecular Corporation - Ambient Sputnik and The Dancing Government