Soundtrack (Video Game)
Mass Effect 2

by Dante Alighieri USER (85 Reviews)
December 13th, 2010 | 115 replies

Review Summary: I'm Commander Shepard, and this is my favorite soundtrack on the Citadel.

Regardless of what the individual naysayers have to say, the Mass Effect franchise has reinvented the space opera genre of video games and stands apart in the RPG genre alone. The tales of Commander Shepard and his ragtag team have sent the gaming community into a frenzy of hype and anticipation so when the sequel to the critically praised game was finally released in early of 2010, game developer Bioware had an impossible task of creating a game that not only surpasses the original, but distinguish itself from the rest of every other role playing game out there.

Mass Effect 2 is the modern answer to the future of RPG gaming… there’s just no denying it. Garnering over thirty perfect reviews and being one the most critically praised games ever, the sequel acts not only as the natural progression from the original, but as the grim second chapter to the series as a whole. Jack Wall, the mind behind the music of the Mass Effect universe and other successfully praised games, is no stranger to creating scores and soundtracks that stun critics and audiences, this is fully felt on his award winning work with Myst, Jade Empire and the original Mass Effect game. But Mass Effect 2 stands as Wall’s magnum opus, his masterpiece of work that will stand the test of ages and be recognized as a classical work that few will ever be able to top.

Being cited as ‘The Empire Strikes Back’ of the gaming industry, Mass Effect 2 is the darker second chapter to the Mass Effect universe and Jack Wall makes this come alive in his composing abilities. His vibrant use of strings and horns, coupled with the heavily reverbed grand piano makes the soundtrack a bleak and grim affair to go through. Perfectly reciting the trials and turmoil’s of Commander Shepard and his group of companions, Wall has a no-holds-barred approach in making this soundtrack that is a perfect blend of science fiction exploration, grim apocalyptic piano interludes, and edge-of-your-seat string compositions that takes the listener on the journey of Shepard.

Atmospherics play a huge part in Jack Walls creation. Every track naturally ebbs and flows, with some featuring bass heavy opera-esque parts while simultaneously having the part naturally evolve into a dark electronic piece. The soundtrack itself carries a sense of desperation, hopelessness and a grim undertone that fits perfectly with the dark atmosphere of the game itself. One could go so far to say that the soundtrack alone is enough of a catharsis to have to fully experience the game in all its glory. It takes you on a journey that few, if any, other soundtracks can take you one. Composers from every genre and moviemaking will have to up their game from this point on to even be relevant when compared to this classic of a soundscape.

Jack Wall has had talent ever since his beginnings with the Myst franchise but it is only until now, in the early parts of 2010, that his natural ability of creating chilling soundscapes has finally reached its maximum. The Mass Effect 2 Original Soundtrack is a twenty seven track long, nearly two hours of shear genius that even the naysayers of the game itself cannot deny is a classic apart from all others. I’m Commander Shepard, and this is my favorite soundtrack of all time.

Misery Signals Absent LightAll Pigs Must Die Nothing Violates This Nature
Loma Prieta I.V.Expire Pendulum Swings
Aldebaran Embracing the Lightless DepthsTragedy Darker Days Ahead

get fucking stoked.

couldwinarabbit
December 13th 2010

you talked too much about the game and not enough about the music but in large I agree.

I rarely play video games anymore but I loved this game. The music is perfect. The only better example I can think of is fallout 3 but that is not original music.

December 13th 2010

I only spent like one paragraph on the game? Oh well, at least the main point is carried.

Oh, and first and probably only review I'm ever gonna do for a game soundtrack.

pizzamachine
December 13th 2010

One of the greatest Xbox 360 games. Cool review, and the summary kills.

Scoot
December 13th 2010

game and music are both excellent

Digging: Renounced - The Melancholy We Ache

blindsided21

Summary is win.

WatchItExplode
December 13th 2010

Why does this not surprise me? Way to be Dante, I'm playing ME2 as we speak.

JWT155
December 13th 2010

As much as I love ME, the soundtrack for The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion is so epicly good. Just announced The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim yesterday, so happy.

Xenophanes
December 13th 2010

I don't typically play many videogames anymore, but this was simply incredible.

Good review man, pos.

Digging: Blut Aus Nord - Memoria Vetusta III - Saturnian Poetry

qwer7yfreak
December 13th 2010

I love the Mass Effect series so much. The trailer for ME3 is fucking awesome. Can't believe we have to wait a whole year for it to come out.

And good review, pos

Kris.
December 13th 2010

oh hey cool its coming out simultaneously on the ps3 and 360 suck it xbox owners

SCREAM!
December 13th 2010

only played the first and it bored me i dunno

Digging: Svartidau?i - Flesh Cathedral

ConsiderPhlebas
December 13th 2010

Game rules, soundtrack rules.

cheers everyone!

@SCREAM!, the first ones got nothing on ME2. jus fyi.

qwer7yfreak
December 13th 2010

Well, the first one has a better story imo. The second does have way better gameplay

lol Zelda. whutta bitch.
That is all.

astrel
December 13th 2010

Soundtrack rules, I need to get the game too I guess.

couldwinarabbit
December 13th 2010

Oblivion, fallout, Mass effect and starcraft are the only video game series I care about at all anymore.

...fuck I put a lot of time into Morrowind

December 13th 2010

play dragon age as well... fuckin awesome game.

astrel
December 13th 2010

Well I have dragon age. I am not an animal.