Out of Yesteryear
The Blackness

good

by climactic USER (8 Reviews)
December 12th, 2010 | 18 replies | 5,342 views

Review Summary: Above-average deathcore just barely manages to be above-average music

Of late, simply the dreaded d-word brings about snickers and groans in the metal community. The vast majority of the genre is bogged down by carbon-copy bands bringing little to no innovation to an already watered-down genre that could have had so much potential. I'm not here to tell you that Out of Yesteryear's new and only LP The Blackness is going to change your mind on the genre, because in all likelihood it won't. However, the album is definitely better than most of the generic bull*** you'll hear on the 32-gigabyte iPod Touch of some rich angsty white kid, mostly because it attempts to separate itself from the deathcore scene and somewhat succeeds in that feat.

The Blackness is definitely more "death" than "-core", which in my eyes, and surely most metalheads too, will be a good thing. The album also incorporates keyboards and symphonic elements, and more often than not it works fairly well (aside from the incredibly cheesy horn section in "Running in Circles", among others). Breakdowns are used more sparsely than in most bands on the scene, and they are usually complimented by a cool guitar lead or orchestral backdrop. The guitarists and drummer are obviously technically talented, but who isn't these days? The guitar solos, like in "Mercy is Definitely Not My Name" (what a title...) are pretty mediocre, however, which is a shame because some good solos would have definitely benefited The Blackness.

Riffwise, it's a mix of brutal death riffs, melodic leads, and the standard chugs and juns you've come to know and...uh... well, know. The riffs and melodies range from decent to pretty awesome; see the title track. Songs do little to stand out from one another on their own, but if you're simply looking for a heavy, somewhat different coar album, it gets the job done. The drums are pretty generic, almost always following along with the guitars and tearing it up when it's blastbeat time. Take a wild guess at how the bass player gets worked into The Blackness...he doesn't. As for the vocalist, he demonstrates a decent range but his style is basically the same as that dude from Veil of Maya or that other dude from that other deathcore band. Luckily the incredibly generic double-tracking high and low screams isn't used too often.

It's deathcore. It has symphonic elements. It has cool guitar parts and at the very least, it attempts to do something different. Check out The Blackness if you're looking for a fun, heavy listen, and nothing more. Out of Yesteryear sure has some potential, though, if they learn how to make the symphonics work better and add some dynamics and variation to their sound.

New Vegas Post Tenebras Spero LucemDeafheaven Sunbather
Born of Osiris The DiscoveryExplosions in the Sky The Earth is Not a Cold Dead Place
Streetlight Manifesto Somewhere in the BetweenCloudkicker Beacons
2.8
good

December 12th 2010

my reviews always tend to be really short. whatevs, album is kinda cool i guess

December 12th 2010

Sound cool, will check this out. I'm in a mindless deathcore mood.

And I'll give it 3 minutes until this review gets spammed.

god dammit, I forgot

Hawks
December 12th 2010

Nice review man. Probably not something I would be interested in though.

Digging: Equilibrium - Erdentempel

Thanks. And prob not.

dogmaster
December 12th 2010

"However, the album is definitely better than most of the generic bull*** you'll hear on the 32-gigabyte iPod Touch of some rich angsty white kid, mostly because it attempts to separate itself from the deathcore scene and somewhat succeeds in that feat."

hit a little too close to home
good review, did listen to a bit
while I didn't enjoy it I still believe there's the occasional deathcore guilty pleasure in all of us

Haha, knew it would

and thank you.

ZippaThaRippa
December 12th 2010

It seems like all deathcore on this site is advertised as "above average." I'm getting the impression that "above average" deathcore is pretty much average deathcore. It all fucking sucks what's the point

December 13th 2010

nah man, I only like maybe 4 or 5 deathcore bands, the rest ranges from average to complete shit

sexpoi
December 13th 2010

cool review. i'll try to check this out

Apollo
December 13th 2010

really well written review! You made me laugh at some points, you should write more dude! I'm trying to build a massive gym playlist full of metalcore/deathcore so I will check this out

thanks so much dudes.

December 13th 2010

got this, and didn't dig it too much.
still an awesome review though

December 14th 2010

thanks.

fr33convict
January 3rd 2011

Good review, pos'd. Although it sounds like your calling the cd average almost the whole way through even though you gave it a 3.

January 3rd 2011

it's a pretty meh cd

January 4th 2011

eh, i'm calling it average with a few highlights that manage to bring it up to a 3. Although looking back, it probably is a 2.5

thanks for the pos broseph

fromtheinside
June 18th 2014

this looks right up my alley! !

Digging: Fallujah - The Flesh Prevails