I, the Breather
These Are My Sins

good

by Chris Higgins USER (38 Reviews)
December 9th, 2010 | 17 replies | 4,886 views

Review Summary: I, The Breather has created an angry, aggressive debut album.

It seems as if music has become literally molded into one sound. Depending on which genre you listen to, you experience a different mold than another genre. Metalcore is a tiring genre, and while it has it’s veterans much like any other, bands try to rip off one another and then attempt to call it their own. This is the biggest problem with metal core, there are so many different bands attempting the same sound that nothing ever has the opportunity to stand out above everything else. In this day and age every young band wants to be August Burns Red, and while they are a great band to mention when discussing metal core, they aren’t the only band out there that does a great job within their genre.

Sumerian Records picked up Maryland based I The Breather shortly before the band announced their debut full length “These Are My Sins”. The main purpose of I The Breather is to be hard hitting, all eleven songs on the album are fast and heavy. It’s very difficult to determine each and every single song on their own, since the bands main sound is the same through each song. This could be a good or bad thing depending on what kind of person you are. Since the same sound is heard all the way through the record, repetitiveness is an issue on more than one occasion. Whatever you have heard in the first 4 or 5 tracks, you will hear in the rest of the songs.

Breakdowns are heard plenty throughout the album, and with only one or two standing out every couple tracks, they kind of get tiring after a little while. To anyone who listens to the album completely, you begin to tune them out simply because you are so used to hearing them. This is one of the aspects of this album that will turn people away, so many bands worry about their breakdowns that they forget everything else that is important. One of those other big important things to worry about is keeping the listeners attention all the way through, which, unless your starting a mosh pit in your listening area, might be pretty difficult for some listeners.

Musically, this band has a lot of talent. While the drummer sticks to basics, the guitars are the biggest stand out element on the album. Their riffs are not only technical and fun to hear, but catchy at the same time. The vocals are very basic, but the range is terrific. Sometimes we hear more of a shouting, than all the way to a deep growl right after. He has the ability to capture a moment with his range, in some softer sections throughout he uses a yelling kind of vocal to build up to a heavier section. In other times his screams capture the energy and anger in a heavier section of a song.

“These Are My Sins” can be picked apart piece and piece and be criticized by every single one of it’s flaws. The thing is, I just don’t want to do that. This is an angry, hard hitting debut album that is great for those people who will attend the bands shows. Most of the songs on this album are very easy to move to at a show, but when sitting on your couch at home and listening, there isn’t much you can do besides bang your head, leading to one giant useless headache. So, get together and start a mosh pit in your dining room while playing this album, it’s easier than it sounds.