T.I.
No Mercy

good

by 1MicLight USER (5 Reviews)
December 7th, 2010 | 17 replies | 7,693 views

Review Summary: Could be better.

Unless you were hiding in a cave, you would probably know by now T.I. has been sent back to prison AGAIN. However, for most of this year, T.I. was able to record some of his music and whatever he wanted to do. He promised of a record that would be devoid of gun talk, and an album that would be as significant as “All Eyez On Me”. No Mercy is not as significant as any Tupac album, but this album is at least listenable.

In the first half of the album, T.I. becomes somewhat of an inspirational speaker, telling the listeners about his trials and tribulations. On “Welcome to the World”, T.I. talks about how the real world is cruel complemented with Kid Cudi crooning and another rant by Kanye West against haters. Then on the second track, How Life Changed, T.I. talks about his past hustle and struggles and the predicament that is upon the poor black community. Scarface adds a nice verse to the track too. Get Back Up is a solid track, but not impressive. Then Tip goes back to trapping on I Can’t Help It, which is a decent switch up. T.I. and Eminem butt heads on That’s All She Wrote, but it ends on a draw. T.I. tells about the pressure that artists face and the troubles of society and hip hop. Big Picture is a typical T.I. boast talking about how he’s the ***. The first half is solid, but it’s not the best from T.I.

The second half, in contrast, is uneven, T.I. resorts to strip club anthems and swag, which doesn’t yield the best results. Strip, Everything on Me, Poppin Bottles, and Lay Me Down are all dedicated to the life of the club. The productions sound decent, but at some of those moments, T.I. sounds lethargic. Salute is a soulful track, with some basic T.I. rhyming. Amazing is a horrible track, and I wonder if T.I. and Skateboard P made their ears fall off before they made the track. To close this album, Christina Aguilera sings a dreamy yet depressing hook about being behind those castle walls and T.I. talks about people that try to alienate him and he would never back down.

Compared to his past catalogue, this album would probably rank near the bottom. The problem is the second half, which is mediocre and filled with filler. At times T.I. is conflicted by his current state and the fast life of Atlanta, which may be more prevalent as he gets older (He’s 30 years old). The increase of social consciousness and worries is welcomed, but T.I. will need to work on his lyrical game and concepts he presents. Perhaps the recent trip to the penitentiary could help him realize that he is past the golden years of partying and make him more hungry to release some good tunes.

2.7
Outnumbered (4)
I’d like to welcome you to the world of T.I....

ok im bulldogs alt (2)
When the title track of the rap album that's taking a 'more aggressive' direction features The-Dream...

Mordecai.

review sucks

1MicLight

ok.

December 7th 2010

It was a pretty good review, just could use better descriptions of the tracks, you could also alternate between "T.I." and "he" so it doesn't sound so repetitive.

1MicLight
December 7th 2010

I did this in an hour.....maybe I should have put more time into editing it
But anyway

botb

hahahaha

Tyrael

20714 Comments

It seems like 2010 is a bad year for rap music...

Unless if you actually bother to look at underground stuff

SlowBoristheBlade

"Could be better."

Is that you apologizing for this atrocious review?

Tyrael

20714 Comments

Unless if you actually bother to look at underground stuff
^this

Let me rephrase: a bad year for mainstream rap

Defeater

Let me rephrase: a bad year for mainstream rap

yup definitely a fucking retard

December 8th 2010

Why can't you negging a-holes give the guy a break and give constructive criticism?

Outnumbered
December 10th 2010

"Amazing is a horrible track, and I wonder if T.I. and Skateboard made their ears fall off before they made the track."

I lol'ed.

henryjohnson
February 10th 2011

I really enjoyed this one

TheIllmatics
February 28th 2011

t.i.'s discography already consists of only one good album, four average ones and this is the second terrible one. god dammit. how do people love t.i. so much? his discography is a joke

slimshady45Z
April 6th 2011

Way too much mainstream shit is bad these days. This, unfortunately, is one of those albums that shouldn't have been released. I mean with him saying he had like 60-70 tracks waiting to drop outta jail i thought it would be good. This blows for something he picked out of 70 tracks. Although welcome to the world and thats all she wrote were decent. It still sucks.

slimshady45Z
April 6th 2011

Oh and why are there so many guests on this? It seems like a cheap album to make money off of.

DotEight
April 30th 2012

Dude your name, invalid.

A few good tracks on here, I really like "That's All She Wrote" and "No Mercy"