Simian Mobile Disco
Delicacies

by Rudy K. STAFF
December 7th, 2010 | 24 replies | 9,919 views

Review Summary: Simian Mobile Disco meet Anthony Bourdain, create beautiful music together.

The term delicacies originally derived from the Latin adjective delicates, meaning “giving pleasure, delightful [or] pleasing” (thanks Wikipedia!). When I think delicacies personally, I think fine dark chocolates, a well-aged cut of prime rib from the neighborhood deli, maybe the occasional dalliance with caviar if the checkbook is open and I’m trying to get laid. It’s an odd choice, then, for Simian Mobile Disco’s third proper LP to be entitled Delicacies, with the concept of each track being named after a particular delicacy from the group’s travels. Delicacies, mind you, that one would be hard pressed to be called “delightful,” unless you’re interested in ammonia-scented fermented shark (“Hakarl”) or a Sardinian favorite, sheep milk cheese filled with live insect larvae (“Casu Marzu”). When you consider that Delicacies is actually a sharp left turn into minimalist tech-house form after last year’s guest-spot ridden pop misstep Temporary Pleasures, it makes a bit more sense. This isn’t the Simian Mobile Disco of electro fame, the one that became ubiquitous with that damn Justice remix blaring out of every blog reader’s stereo circa 2006. It’s an album mired in its own dark, sometimes off-putting production juices, relishing in the slight tweaks and glacial buildups one may only appreciate on the dance floor.

Lead-off track “Aspic” is catchy, what with its trademark Simian emphasis on bass and the very clearly defined (particularly in regards to what follows) rhythm, but it’s not something the average raver would find promotes casual fist-pumping. “Nerve Salad” is even more of a challenge, built as it is almost entirely around a skittering insect beat, ghostly synths and an odd array of kitchen-sink sounds that hiss and squeal around the relentless thud of the bass. This is an acquired taste, much like the dishes these tracks are named after. But the joy is in that acquisition, that delving into layers and layers of excruciating detail and painstaking production that Simian Mobile Disco craft into full tracks. Whether it is through the midnight tint of synths and spartan handclaps that dominate “Sweetbread” or the Kraftwerkian bleeps and bloops of closer “Ortolan,” each track here brings something new to the trained ear. Considering most tracks here resist falling into a rut, avoiding the bleeding effect and same-y sounds of many minimalist records, is an admirable accomplishment in its own right.

This isn’t easy listening or music to soundtrack your next party too, unless you’re ingesting a considerable amount of psychedelics. It also isn’t one that immediately satisfies; too often Simian Mobile Disco build up to a great climax and then deflate it without a hint of excitement in the execution, taking it apart as slowly as they constructed it. There’s always that sense that if Simian Mobile Disco had just upped the ante a bit more, given into their electro past and dropped an epic beat, that we might be looking at Delicacies as the new Daft Punk if Daft Punk hadn’t gone all Inception on us. It’s occasionally frustrating, and to be fair contributes to most of the tracks’ unnecessary running time. But Delicacies doesn’t want to be accessible, and it certainly doesn’t want to be easy. It takes it’s time and goes where it wants to go, and in doing so leads Simian Mobile Disco to some seriously dark and uncharted waters. The fact that they made it out on the other side not looking like poseurs but with a formidable new aspect to their sound instead is something any dance fan should be excited for.

Spoon They Want My SoulJenny Lewis The Voyager
First Aid Kit Stay GoldLily Allen Sheezus
Woods With Light And With LoveEels The Cautionary Tales of Mark Oliver Everett

take that deviant

Digging: Literature - Chorus

Athom
December 7th 2010

so it's like No Reservations in music form. sweet idea. i neeeeeed this

TMobotron
December 7th 2010

i never got into attack decay, but i might pick this up to give it a shot, nice to see a review up for it.

DonniSharK
December 7th 2010

Techno? In my Mobil Disco? Surely this cannot be. Attack Decay Sustain Release is awesome, didn't really "get" Temporary Pleasure outside of Audacity Of Huge.

Deviant.

take that deviant

I actually forgot this was coming out

Digging: Marcel Dettmann - Fabric 77

SleepyJack
December 7th 2010

This is sooo much better than other stuff I've heard from these guys

Enotron

NOOOOOOO RESERVAAATTTTIOONNSS

StreetlightRock
December 7th 2010

Yeah I reallly like this. Recalls the darker moments of ADSR, which is what made that album. And these guys are still second to none when it comes to crafting subtle beats.

Digging: Caribou - Our Love

HighandDriving

WE ARE YOUR FRIENDS!

YOULL NEVA BE ALLONE AGAIN AH COME ON

nicolauz
December 7th 2010

Agreed with Donni. Attack was awesome, newer not so much. Will give this a try.

StreetlightRock

Agghhh this is so good.

December 8th 2010

This doesn't seem like my kind of thing but maybe i'll listen to a few sample clips or something. Great review as always.

Digging: The War on Drugs - Lost in the Dream

Xenophanes
December 8th 2010

Yeah, could be interesting. I'm always looking out for that 2010 album that will take me by surprise and become a potential AOTY. Alas that's probably wishful thinking...

thanks sowing

Romulus
December 8th 2010

classiness all over the place

December 8th 2010

it exudes right out of the pores

emmy
December 9th 2010

i came for the bourdain and got a review that started with a definition

StrizzMatik
December 10th 2010

I'll check this out.

The song titles, album title and cover are definitely about cannibalism btw

December 10th 2010

lol i could see where you'd think that

PuddlesPuddles
December 13th 2010

does this exude right out of the pores?

Need to get this