Snowing
I Could Do Whatever I Wanted If I Wanted

by Eno USER (34 Reviews)
December 4th, 2010 | 468 replies | 42,784 views

Review Summary: On their new record, Snowing adamantly refuse to tame their songcraft, creating a sprawling, personalized record.

To all those who found Snowing's debut EP Fuck Your Emotional Bullshit to be messy and aimless, it's important to note from the get go that these detractors have not been stripped of in order to create a more cohesive full-length; rather every quirk of their previous work has been amplified on I Could Do Whatever I Wanted If I Wanted. The guitars are more reminiscent of their work in Street Smart Cyclist, going off on a miniature tangents within songs, creating a lively backdrop. Vocalist John Galm explores the similar child-like heartbreak that was present on their demo, this time with a roaring, inebriated passion that lets loose all over the record. Even the song titles have become increasingly more inside-joke related. For those looking for structure and coherence in their debut full-length, Snowing have put out the opposite of such linear hopes; I Could Do Whatever I Wanted is a sprawling record, filled with an abundance of Kinsella jamming and sporadic, smile-inducing gems.

An immediate aspect of the record is that it's blatantly personal, a musical equivalent to spilling one's guts out while intoxicated. John Galm's lyrics often find him conflicted with identity and self-awareness, from the first song off the record singing "Now let me contradict the last few things I wrote, like, 'I'm not morbid, I'm just forgetful' because I'm morbid; the dam is fucking breaking". If Fuck Your Emotional Bullshit had Galm first touching on such subjects with some degree of musical subtlety, Galm lets loose of any pretense and tackles his regrets with a drunken bitterness. There's a particular emphasis on the blending of nonchalant tales of drinking with more personal conflicts explored, which can be seen as a contributing factor to the abrupt, angsty confessions. The honesty is as present in the music, the guitarists embracing no limits to any particular sound or any coherency as far as approach. The structure of the album is akin much to the spontaneity and unpredictable structure as Cap'n Jazz's compilation Analphabetapolothology and other Emo anthologies. While this trait may bewilder and often lead to listeners getting lost mid-play, it enhances the decidedly human qualities that give so much charm to Snowing's music.

While their debut full length does signify a change in approach for the band, Snowing are still the same band to fans and haters alike. In fact, the elongated nature of the album may be a turnoff to fans of their previous release. Fuck Your Emotional Bullshit had five distinct songs that worked in their own right and had a flow, while ICDWIWIIW has eleven separate tracks that often awkwardly operate when listened to in an album format. However this aspect is countered by an increased passion on the band's part, an honesty with the listener that magnifies Galm's vulnerable personality. The instrumentation is diversified, with more traditional angular riffs on tracks such as "It's Just A Party", while tracks like "Damp Feathers" have the guitarists building around the vocals, creating an atmosphere pertinent to the building of the song. While the record gets fairly homogenous, thorough listens will have the listener coming across particular gems such as the confessional, anthemic "So I Shotgunned A Beer and Went Back To Bed"("You swore that you would live your life without regret. Well what do you wait for?"), as well as the celebratory, jangly closer "I Could Be Better Forever". In the end, I Could Do Whatever I Wanted If I Wanted is for the listener to objectify, whether it be a personal statement or just a collection of twinkly Emo jams. Whatever it is, Snowing knows what they're doing.

Beau Navire HoursWeekend Nachos Worthless
Raekwon Shaolin vs. Wu-TangTim Hecker Ravedeath, 1972
Palmkite The Sound Of SnowfallEmeralds Does It Look Like I'm Here?

December 4th 2010

Yeah i wrote a lot this time, please point out any noticeable typos.

but record is the fucking shit, get on it plz sputnik

December 4th 2010

Man, fuck your emotional bullshit.

Didn't know if this band was still around actually. Will have to check this out.

December 4th 2010

Enotron, you have really been impressing me lately, this review was superb.

Digging: United Nations - The Next Four Years

December 4th 2010

He's mostly singing this time around, less horsed yelling.

but yeah i'm actually catching a few of their shows in december, souped

edit: much appreciated as always xeno

December 4th 2010

right after i submitted my year end list this has to pop up and throw a wrench in everything. Having
"Mark Z. Danielewski" as a song title makes me want to have a conversation with these dudes if I ever
go to PA

December 4th 2010

it's actually mad good adam, you'd enjoy it(unless you've already listened, that is).

December 4th 2010

I've been convinced to get it.

2010 isn't over man! I don't think I will ever do one, this year has been very odd for me.

December 4th 2010

listening to it now. only on the first song but I'm in love

December 4th 2010

But for cereal Eno, keep it up. This shit could be featured.

Hep Kat
December 4th 2010

second song is partially about me. i'm actually serious

Digging: Nipsey Hussle - Crenshaw

December 4th 2010

elaborate, i'm actually really interested

December 4th 2010

I can't find a place to listen to this :/

December 4th 2010

you mean the download link or a place to listen without disturbing the people around you?

if it's the former, the band posted a link on their facebook page that leads to a download link.

Hep Kat
December 4th 2010

it's not i'm lying. it's a cool amalgamation of my first and last name though

HOWEVER

when the new boysetsfire album drops look for me in the credits :'). ilu nathan if you read this

December 4th 2010

So what was it like writing the best book of the last decade lol
@eno: read house of leaves

December 4th 2010

i know the writer, just thought hep was referring to the actual lyrics of the song

December 4th 2010

The House of Leaves has been popping up everywhere lately, and it has been on my "To Read" list for too long. I a Palahniuk-Fag so I've been re-reading some of that stuff.

December 4th 2010

They have a free download on Facebook, so I will just do that.

December 4th 2010

house of leaves will blow your mind on just how a book can be written.

December 4th 2010

Indulge me redskyformiles. I hear it's a mindfuck, is that true?