Woe
Quietly, Undramatically

by Eno USER (34 Reviews)
November 30th, 2010 | 257 replies | 14,058 views

Review Summary: An ambitious, cathartic surprise.

If I could break the reviewing rule of speaking in the first person, Woe is a difficult band for me to review. Having delved little into Black Metal, I couldn't inform the listener of how original the material is and who they are influenced by. The record retains the most recognizable elements of the genrel(raw production, tremolo-picked riffs, blast beats), but doesn't really expand beyond them. And due to the small amount of Black Metal I own, I couldn't really state where Woe fit in the style. However, the most remarkable element of Quietly, Undramatically is how straight-to-the-point their aesthetic is. The music is devoid of cliches and stresses their dependence from the more theatrical side of the genre, while clearly respecting their influences. Woe waste no time with superfluity, constantly pummeling the listener with an onslaught of intricate riffs, with brilliantly drumming keeping the songs tight and energetic. The subtle brilliance of their new LP unfolds in a manner similar to the progressive nature of their songcraft, building through the more obvious sections into something climactic, not unlike a post-rock band. Tracks like "The Road from Recovery" epitomize this dynamic, with metallic riffs and fast-paced percussion resolving in cathartic screams, while tracks like a "Treatise on Control" peak several times. By the time album centerpiece "Full Circle" sets in, Quietly, Undramatically transcends from a Black Metal record to its own entity, an emotive monster building through frantic cries, feverish musicianship, only to die down into an acoustic dirge.

On their new release, Woe have released a record that is believable. There's no pretension, Chris Grigg's vocal performance sounding earnest and pained. While not as heavy as their last record, the band's focus around less dissonant, more musical guitar parts enhance the passion that is so clear in the music. The previously mentioned lack of knowledge that I have of the genre that Woe espouse is all the better for the listen, leaving a record that is digested not as a culmination of its influences but an honest statement from a passionate band. Without any superficialities, Quietly, Undramatically is one of the most impressive metal records of the year.

Beau Navire HoursWeekend Nachos Worthless
Raekwon Shaolin vs. Wu-TangTim Hecker Ravedeath, 1972
Palmkite The Sound Of SnowfallEmeralds Does It Look Like I'm Here?
someguest (4)

Thanntos (4)

November 30th 2010

I thought I wouldn't review this due to my lack of knowledge of black metal, but i managed to incorporate somewhat into the review. took forever to write, please critique, point out typos, etc.

November 30th 2010

I hate when people add the song lengths with the song titles.

Relinquished
November 30th 2010

why? it's pretty good to add

It looks shitty.

November 30th 2010

This album just fucking slays.

Digging: Equilibrium - Erdentempel

November 30th 2010

Yeah it does. I still have my review saved, I'll put it up on my blog when I get it going.

wyankeif1337
November 30th 2010

I really need this, don't I?

tinkrbel
November 30th 2010

even though it's out of your comfort zone, it's a good review Eno
a bit short though
still pos'd

November 30th 2010

yeah unfortunately I couldn't think of much more to write on the record without overstating myself. oh well, i honestly just wrote because I liked it much more than expected

Crysis
November 30th 2010

Thought someone already reviewed this or something but maybe I'm going crazy... anyway props to you for going outside of your comfort zone.

November 30th 2010

Someguest did, but then he got himself banned and the review was deleted and he is now Defeater. Nice story.

November 30th 2010

thanks for the comments errbody

had know idea about someguest though, what was he banned for?

November 30th 2010

He got himself banned somehow. I'm sure he'll see these eventually and explain exactly what happened.

November 30th 2010

I didn't want my reviews on this site anymore, but I knew the moderators wouldn't remove them all without leaving them anonymous. Therefore, I replaced all my reviews with random Eminem lyrics and got my account completely wiped in the process.

That's it. Nothing exciting.

pretty interesting story tbh

alachlahol
November 30th 2010

this review doesn't say much

November 30th 2010

you mean in terms of how much i wrote or the actual content?

alachlahol
November 30th 2010

content. the description of the album is vague. you mention cathartic screams, intricate riffs, good drumming, but in describing the album the review seems lacking. not sure yet what i'd do to rework it though

Xenophanes
December 1st 2010

Although it is a little short, I still enjoyed reading it (although it seems as though I enjoy reading all of your reviews...)
That being said, that first paragraph is a little overwhelming. This definitley isn't your best, but I still feel informed, so it did its job for the most part.

Digging: United Nations - The Next Four Years